1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why I'm taking my DI from my pedalboard forever

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by AngusHasMoxie, Dec 21, 2016.

1. AngusHasMoxie

AngusHasMoxie

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    Formerly endorsed by Carvin, Basson and Dimarzio
    Played a gig two weekends ago, small bar venue, probably 40 people max, but with a great sound system and stage.
    First of all, most un-jaded sound guy ever. Super friendly, asked what we needed, what we wanted, etc. We were playing instrumental, so we asked for a talk mic, kick mic, and a bass di to the wonderful subs they have.

My guitarist asked him to DI from my amp, but I steered him towards my Sansamp BDDI instead. My amp is EQ'd totally flat, so whatever is coming out of the sansamp is what I want going out to the mains. My amp is for stage noise. It's a small venue, so I set my volume pretty low so it didn't bleed.

Anyway, gig went well, good (if small) crowd, etc etc. I was standing in front of the drummer in the frontman position (again, no vocals :D) so I was gleaming my playing from the mains all show. As we began to break down my gear I noticed that my line out from my sansamp to my amp had come unplugged at some point in the show! If I had used my amp's DI, I would have lost everything, probably during a high-energy part of a song (I move and jump around a bit, my foot probably found the cable and yanked it out).

Lesson learned, I will always insist on my DI being taken from my pedalboard rather than my amp!

2. City

City Supporting Member

I read the heading and thought your were removing your DI from your pedalboard forever. You are running your lines the way I do. Always works well with the Sansamp.

dralionux likes this.