Why is a Fender Bassman 100 Combo louder than my Bassman 400 combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by S. Byrnes, Feb 1, 2004.

1. I practiced with some guys yesterday at the drummers house and he told me he had a Bassman 100 amp, so I brought my Bassman 400 amp figuring I'd play with the typical too loud guitarist. I was right so i started off using my amp, then when I still couldn't hear myself I plugged my tuner out into the input on the 100 and it blew the 400 away. I then plugged directly into the 100 and it was still louder. What is that about, is my amp defective or something?
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Can you give us any more information other than one was 100W and the other was 400w. What speaker configuration did each combo have? Were the EQ setting similar? Where were the amps positioned in relation to the room and to your listening position? Whateve info yoou can think of - it all adds up.
  3. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Was the 100W a tube head? That makes all the difference in the world.
  4. The amps were right next to each other. They are both solid state amps. The Fender 400 combo uses 350 watts to power 2 10" drivers. The Fender 100 combo uses 100 watts to power a single 15" driver. The room was small, maybe 12'x12'. The EQ's were set sort of similar. The bassman 100 combo just has bass, mid, and treble knobs, and its bass and treble was turned up almost all the way with the mid about halfway. My 400 was closer to flat with the bass and treble slightly emphasized.
  5. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I would say it is a mixture of the gain he got from the cranked bass and treble settings, and the percieved extended low end of th 15" woofer in the lower register. I would think that your cab would have been louder as you go up the neck, or at least pack more punch. Also, Those 150 watt 15s are pretty darn efficient. It's all hypothecal though. Maybe someone else has a more technical explanation.
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's exactly what I was going to say.
  7. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Yeh, all the above sounds good. Sound preception is a funny thing tho. You might find that the neighbors thought your amp was louder. But it's something to pursue cause it doesn't make sense. Maybe your power was split between two channels on the amp or something of that nature. Call a music store that handles Fender for some feedback or check out your amp on harmony central reviews. Often the reviewers leave their email addresses and you can email them about it.