1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why is a single 2x10 all of a sudden working (for me) as a stand alone cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mark Andrew, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Yes if site is working ;) need to weigh up the import tax against the EU available units. Any of the more well known brands make them? I can find very little only a few custom builds here and there.....

2. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    I started using a SWR 2-10 cab for all my gigs back in the mid 90s. I still have it. But it is 60 lbs so I use a 1-12neo for most gigs now and add a 12 for bigger rooms. I usually do not play in very loud bands, but I play rock and roll. A good 2x10 cab can get loud.

3. Bubble

Bubble

Apr 17, 2013
    LV-426
    Style may be the reason for what we see as a reduced need for bass power. A lot of slap and pop style lately. In the 60's - 80's bass was mainly a sort of invisible deep smooth bottom of nearly constant fill. It takes a lot more power and cone area to make the original style bass.
    Look at blues music bass for an example of deep sort of invisible bottom.

Sade's Please Send Me Someone to Love song demands a big strong man bass rig.

4. I switched the speakers from mine out for neos as the old ones were tired and stiff. Cab is not light weight but the neos made the 210 an easy lift compared to how it was ;) I have a high power neo 12 in an old combo I am now curious if I can drop down to that using a HPF but our band is loud and always has been so being able to use the 210 is a big step for me....;)

5. Were still playing same old loud as hell grunge... Style makes a big difference but in this case that has not changed.... I regularly turned up for quieter band's with less hardwear.... I may stick my neck out and do this 210 thang for the next gig..... Hoping there is sufficient PA Support..... Otherwise I will be buggered with just the 210..... The booker tends to come stylishly late with this info and pubs can be badly equipt front of house wise.....in which case the old 15 may come along just in case ......;)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  6. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Bought this very device a year ago. Still kicking my ass for not doing that before!
    It's now mandatory for me to use it. In the effect loop of my amps, set to 80Htrz. It allows me to crank the massive low I love without fearing for my cabs that don't suffer anymore. My tone is clearer, stronger, sits in the mix way better and my cabs thank me for this.

scf4003 and Mark Andrew like this.
  7. Want.... Really don't seem to be many out there....

8. Bubble

Bubble

Apr 17, 2013
    LV-426
    Also factor in the fact that they must have figured out how to make reliable 200 + watt 10 inch woofers, back then, thinking back it seems most affordable woofers were about 50 and a bit more watts RMS. The need for more speakers and cabinets was there.

Add this answer to the one above and it looks like a good assumption to me.
    Gimme some time to wake up. I shouldn't be on forums or use sharp knives when I first wake up.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    Mark Andrew likes this.
  9. Yes the new speakers certainly improved the cabs capablity over the standard drivers but even with these fitted I was pushing them too hard at prac levels. With mini I get allot more out of this cab....I want this for my other amps also ;).....

10. BOOG

BOOG

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Does the PhyschoAcoustic act as an HPF to some degree?

11. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    I ordered it from Broughton directly. It took about 10 days and I didn't pay any VTA or taxes over it.

12. In holland we get will get slammed with import duty unless it's not checked and marked as a gift but if I can't get one any other way then will have to bite the bullet....

13. Josh Broughton got back quick shipping is 40usd then a good chance of import duties on top. I think I will be getting a quote to have one made here if there are decent schematics to work from........ Could come in allot cheaper...

14. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    I live in France and I didn't pay anything else than the filter and the shipping. The package is very little, so i guess it goes through custom without being noticed.

15. It puts more perceieved low in the sound somehow. No idea how it works. I thought it was junk but on the smaller cabs it does seem pump them up in the lows but doesn't strain the speakers... They do move more when it's on but they don't leap at you as they do with my other heads....

BOOG likes this.
  16. That would be good......

17. Azure Skies

Azure Skies Commercial User

Mar 21, 2012
    Toronto
    Businessman and EE Importer/Exporter Broughton Audio
    I ship to the EU (including Netherlands) frequently and I don't know that the packages get hit with duties often based on the tracking I've seen. It helps that the always on HPF is small and unassuming.

scf4003, wave rider and Mark Andrew like this.
  18. Depends on the value I believe I know it's the case for guitars will check....

19. If it gets opened it will get slapped with 21%.... It's a sad day :(((

20. Unless value is indicated as < 22 euros

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021