1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why is a single 2x10 all of a sudden working (for me) as a stand alone cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mark Andrew, Oct 2, 2018.

1. BOOG

BOOG

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    sorry for the topic derailment...but, Thank you for the reply.
    I have a CMAX112 that I rarely use, anymore. When I did use it, I just set everything to 12 o'clock and didn't fiddle with the extra bells, whistles and buttons much. Maybe, this winter I'll hook into it and get to know it better.
    :thumbsup:

2. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Degen from Up-Country

Apr 3, 2018
    The Broughton hpf really is great, I’ve been using one for a while and while it’s effect is a bit subtle it’s well worth it. It saves me a ton of worry when I use my octaver, on top of generally slapping my tone into shape.

3. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    This is not the sort of thing I'd normally use for myself but there's one gig a year where my rig gets used as backline for a bunch of hi-volume lunatics and I think I'm going to get it just for that.

Off for me, on for everyone else.

lermgalieu likes this.
  4. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    I have a 4 ohm Schroeder 210PL cab that I typically use with a 575 watt Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II or a 450 watt Ampeg SVT3 Pro head and it _easily_ handles my needs without breaking a sweat ... even on outdoor gigs that typically require more juice than indoor ones. However, I typically play in blues, soul and R&B bands in relatively small joints (or with PA support in larger venues) so my SPL needs are less than with other genres of music. I have been known to crank that bad boy at home (when my wife isn't home) and it can go considerably louder (and still sound good) than I ask of it on the gigs that I play.

jeff7bass likes this.
  5. Off for me, on for everyone else.[/[/QUOTE]
    I'm not debating the applications of a 210 I love them super handy. But I have never been able use them as a stand alone cab with loud genres until now..... And I believe I now know why ;)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  6. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    I love my Fdeck. You can find them a bit cheaper than the Broughton. Both are small and built well. I use mine in the effects loop of my Eden WT300. It was like adding a boost switch to the amp, but still has the same tone.

Haroldo and Mark Andrew like this.
  7. Great but is there an EU source for any of these? I'm coming up with zip.....

8. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    That I don't know. You'll have to go to the Fdeck website or look for a used one here. I believe he is a TBer, so maybe he'll respond.

9. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Dude, make yourself a favor a directly order one from Broughton directly. You won't pay anything but the filter and the shipping .

10. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic Knows all intervals from one Fred, to Juan octave Commercial User

Jan 26, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I teach lessons and perform live music in and around San Diego CA. Sometimes I even make money doing it!
    You stumbled upon a magic rig, it happens! The frequency output of your amp plays nice with the speaker and cab design. As has already been pointed out, there is probably some HPF built into the head, peavey advertises their punch and acoustic modeling technology so there may be something to that. Have you tried it with just the 15 yet? Maybe it’s just a great combination, or maybe it’s the amp that naturally puts out the sound you want to hear and it will sound good with any cab.

11. Dude is not keen on the 21% import duty so was sussing out if there are any EU manufacturers. But dude has had contact with Broughton who responded promptly and politely. If nothing worthwhile is available here then I will take the plunge :)

lermgalieu likes this.
  12. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    I now refer to low-cut filters as 'Stumbos'

13. e a
    I had used it with the old BW but that has also been replaced with a neo faital. So no in its current form I have not just used it with the 15. But it's notoriously difficult to get it to clip now as that driver is a monster...:)

14. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic Knows all intervals from one Fred, to Juan octave Commercial User

Jan 26, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I teach lessons and perform live music in and around San Diego CA. Sometimes I even make money doing it!
    High quality drivers are always a good thing. Who knows, the 15 could be a good rig too. There are 1 billion pages on talk bass about mixing different cabs, so that might have also contributed to your muddiness, sometimes mixing them works, sometimes it doesn’t. Depends how the phases align and work with each other. Suffice it to say, mixing two different, high-quality cabs, might sound great, but there’s also a good chance it could be a muddy, hollow mess. Only one way to find out…

Mark Andrew likes this.
  15. BOOG

BOOG

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Yup, FINALLY, it’s catching on!!!:D

Stumbo and Mark Andrew like this.
  16. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Do so!!! I didn't pay the taxes!!!
    Anyway, even if I did, those 21% are nothing compared to a pair of SWR Goliath III ruined after many years of tone abuse.

Mark Andrew likes this.
  17. This is not the HPF you’re looking for. :woot:

Mark Andrew likes this.
  18. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    I use a 2x10 and vary heads with it.
    Big difference in sound with a GK head vs TC head.

19. Tried again with just the 210 up high still to much mud without a HPF with this amp but up this high one doesn't have the tendency to overload the cab.... HPF on order ;)

Attached Files:

Stumbo likes this.
  20. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    This is not your daddy's hpf.
    Stumble upon a Stumbo!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021