Why is Ampeg SVT 8x10 favored?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaosMK, Aug 1, 2005.

1. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I see these things all over, and especially for tube amps. Is there any reason (in terms of sound, etc) why they are the favorite? I think there are so many better and more interesting cabs out there for rock.
  2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Probably because you play a single note and you're thrown into the hot girl's arms, 30 ft away... :D

There are contreversies about the tone quality of the SVT810, but no-one seems to dispute about the headroom of this cab. And IMO there's nothing to dispute on that point.
  3. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    I've never ever heard anything quite as wonderful as the row of ampeg 8x10's Doug Pinnick had, and his soundcheck before a kings x show. just....stunning.
  4. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I like the workout of moving 200lbs,it helps work off the hotdogs and beer. ;) Seriously though they cut very well through that torid Mesa gain and I like the ability to sling mud.
    Who needs clear tone when playing rock? Not this cowboy;I have a G-K setup for when I need to sound clean. I see my Ampeg rig as a tool for doing specific things. I use my other rig for doing other specific things. The right tool for the right job I say.
  5. emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    but why a huge 8 x 10, and not two 4x10s... ?
  6. daveonbass

Apr 5, 2001
    Waupun, WI
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Hofner, Rotosound
    As the owner of THREE of the said Ampeg Classic 8x10s... I can say that I went through a period of trying EVERYTHING - 1-18 w/4-10s, 1-15 w/4-10s, 2-4/10s, 2-15s, all different brands and combinations.

Then I finally realized. For ME - NOTHING, I mean NOTHING gives me the sound, power & clarity I want like the Ampeg Classic 8x10. Even their more expensive lines.

I'm not a gear head enough to tell you WHY that is, I just know for ME that's how I feel and have for years. Probably something about how I play, what I play, etc... And that's gonna be different for each individual player.

And you combine that with an Ampeg SVT CLassic tube head... AWESOME. It's the classic bass combination/touring/sound company amp for a reason. Nothing beats it for rock & roll. I WOULD take 2 of the 8x10 cabs and run the head at 2 ohms if I could. The only thing better than one Ampeg Classic 8x10 cab is TWO (ah ah ah!) TWO Ampeg Classic 8x10 cabs!!!

7. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Because not enough folks have discovered the Bergantino NV 610 yet! :D 810 vibe in a cab that I can move myself and that will fit in the backseat of a subaru sedan!
  8. The SVT 810 is a bit more readily availible and a bit cheaper too isnt it
  9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    They are seen frequently on TV and at larger concerts because they are standard fare for backline equipment provided by the venue/promoter/rider requirements. They aren't the best thing out there for most, but they are consistent, large, and people know what to expect from them.

I know of MANY professional soundmen who have a truckload of microphones they prefer to the "standard" Sure SM58's and SM57's, but they use or request SM58's and 57's because everyone knows they're idiosyncracies, and know what to expect from them.

There are bunches of choices out there today for "BIG" cabinets like the Ampeg 8x10, but not known to everybody. The Ampeg 810 is "idiotproof", if you will. Everyone knows where to find one, and they cover well. Perfect? No. Plenty good enough for almost anyone walking on a stage where the backline is provided? You bet.
  10. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

music store had just recieved an SVT. Two cabinets one head. That was the only amp in the store that they didn't let every one play, but I sure had the experience. I have loved the 8x10 cab config ever since.

To this day that is my guide line of 300 watts RMS.

Wesley R.
  11. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i sold mine for a 610hlf.

i think the 610 is awesome, but i wouldnt mind getting another 8x10 one day.
  12. the only thing is the 610 is ported, so it will be a slightly different sound
  13. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    more readily available but same price. at least on my side of the pond... ;)
  14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Because its big and loud and it rocks.
  15. It isn't. I had one for a couple of years. Traded it in on a 2x15 cab. I lost money on the deal but it was sure nice to have some lows again.
  16. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Agree on this! I love ampeg fridges, but I like the NV610 even more. I can move it by myself, and it fits in my car.
  17. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I think one of the reasons Ampeg is so common is because every music store has them! The 810 must be the most mass-produced cab I have ever seen! I really don't like the newer "Classic" 810s, but I'd give a lot for a true vintage silverface 810. New, I think the Bergie 610 is actually closer to a vintage 810 than a newer 810, and louder and more portable.
  18. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    OK...who here would gripe if they walked on stage and the only thing they had for you to play through was a nice old SVT with an 810 cab?
  19. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004

Jim Bergantino's stuff is right-on! I have the NV215. :bassist:
    My cab is the same size as the NV610, and she's a few pounds lighter than the NV610... ;)
  20. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I would. I don't like the way tube amps sound. And I don't like the lows that the 810's put out.