Why is Bag End so rarely talked about?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Special_Ed, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    I own a Bag End Q10X-D that is rated at 800 watts at 8 ohms that I got for $475. I payed too much, probably could have talked him down to $400.

When people say "I only have 500 dollars to spend on a cab" I never hear anyone mention BE.

This post should be stickied so anyone who only has 400 - 500 dollars to spend on a cab will take my advise.
  2. Ivan Mike pretty much takes care of the Bag End recommendations around here.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...my 2x10 B-D has outlasted many of my other cabs...

BE makes GREAT equip & is usally lost to the "flavor of the day"...

4. niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    Part of it, IMHO, is the bizarre difference between the "dealer" listing on their site and places that actually have them.

I checked out Bag End's dealer list. Found what seems to be a SoCal dealer. Seems more like a distribution center for the region. I walk into a local music store and see that they've got two BE cabs to try out, so I did. Very impressive cabs but I found them by pure accident. It just seems an odd way to go about things. Maybe that's just me, though.
  5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
  6. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Probably because BE has been around long enough that they're no longer considered "hot." The piece of gear that I've had for the longest time is my Bag End S-15C, which has served me faithfully for 13 years or so.
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    who, me? :cool:
    actually non does a good job as does brad johnson, and a whole bunch of others. it's kind of a "silent cult" :p

i think that's the biggest reason.
  8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    my first brush with Bag End was a used 15" cab sitting all by its lonesome, tossed to the way side by its well worn look, and pilling carpet. i thought, "is that what all the fuss is about?"

fast forward to a few years later to St. Ann's Church and the NYC Guitar Show, where i walked to Mike Pulcinella's booth to try a sweeeeet jazz 4 custom creation into his Walter Woods Ultra and Bag End 2x10, and holy schinkies!!! meatie thick texture with a weighty low mid feel accented by a beautifully hifi airy sense that gave me a good ol' case o' the goose bumps. :)

FWIR, wasnt BE the first of the boutique cabs to ever come out for bass? i think John Patittucci was an endorser at one point.
  10. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    When I became a member of this site in '01, BE was one of the "Hot" companies being talked about constantly here. People have just moved on to the newer flavors at this time. I've still never played one. :(
  11. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    wow i think i was at the same show. 1st time i ever got to try the "new" deep 210 at mikes booth. holy!
    yeah they were kinda one of the 1st "sorta" boutique bass cabs. the old catolouge i got off e-bay has a lot of weird cabinets in it. they look identical to the cabs used in the dead's "wall of sound" circa 1975, but i dont think bag end built those cabs as i belive the company cites its beginning a couple of years later. in any event, i never asked. from what i understand the mini 1x15 was the big deal in NYC as it fit in a taxi. IIRC, dave b from aguilar used one and the idea for the gs-112 came from wanting a similar sized cab with more low end.
  12. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Its funny to think of bag end as "old technology", but that
    seems to be the case. I have the utmost respect for these
    people. Its a GREAT company. At the last NAMM show, every
    time I walked by the Bag End booth, there were a lot of guys
    just standing around. Not much happening. Big heavy boxes.
    My friend was using a 4x10 coax bag end that was over
    100 lbs. His feeling was that this was the minimum box he
    needed. When we played it next to an Epifani 310UL, his
    jaw dropped. More volume, more low end, more punch, with
    a smoother high end, at LESS than HALF the weight. After
    about 30 seconds he just looked at us and said. "ok, where's
    the number to call an order the Epi". I remember when cell
    phones were big and heavy too. Not anymore!!
  13. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    bag end's all about the small cabs............. :cool:
  14. I'm having a difficult time following you...

So, it weighed 100 pounds, and he played it next to the Epi, and it had more volume/low-end/punch/smoother, and was less than half the weight of the Epi (meaning the Epi weighs over 200 pounds?)...and then he looked at you and asked where he could call to order the Epi...

What gives? I must be reading this incorrectly?
  15. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah you are, he meant the epi was all that. it's a nice cab that epi. :cool:
  16. m'kay - got it!
  17. jazz567

Nov 23, 2004
    Not too much talk about them because they've been around for a long time now and are based on pretty simple straightfoward designs. Nothing too flashy or exciting to talk about.

I've been dragging a S15D and S15Xd around clubs for several years and am very satisfied with their performance and ease of transport.

Are there "better" cabs out there now.. sure. But I'm happy with my BE's, and for that matter, are there better bass players out there than me... sure. New cabs aren't going to make me sound any better.

I've gotten many compliments about my sound, so that keeps me happy. Also, most sound guys that see my rig say something like.. "nice, I like Bag Ends".. so that keeps me happy as well.
  18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I bought my first Bagend cab (an S15) 14 years ago and a second within a year of that (S12). KILLER CABINETS.

I was just ready for something different... no bad blood with BE... actually I want to pick up a pair of their PA speakers
  19. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the pa speakers are pretty nuts. the ta-15/ta-5000 are heavy suckers. the ta-12jr/ta-1000 are amazing little boxes, and the ta-12/ta/2000 are fantastic. I'd probably go with a pair or ta 1000 or 2000 and ta 1000 floor monitors if i did a bag end pa. the subs are a whole different issue. :cool:
  20. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I love my Bag Ends... been using them very often since 1996

I have the S-15 D - S-15XD and a 2 x 12 cab thats very old. I recently sold the 4 x 10 XBD ..it was too heavy but it sounded great.

I have used the S 15 XD with my WW Ultra with great results ....

I am waiting for some new Bag End stuff to hit the market..they are overdue..... but it will probably be worth the wait....