1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

WHY is Behringer So cheap?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rocinante_x1, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    Why are they so cheap? They seem to sound pretty good, they have lots of power, but theyre extremely inexpensive. Are they just very cheaply made, and piece of crap amps?
    Help a fella out

2. Enmesarra

Enmesarra

Apr 29, 2007
    Turkey
    Cheap parts & rip-off from other brands on some products, which means less cost on researching. That's my guess from what I saw anyway.

Savage Hippie likes this.
  3. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Reverse engineered (copied) ,and made in China.

4. sarcasticon

sarcasticon

Aug 14, 2007
    Belgium
    Yep, the difference is mostly in researching & manufacturing costs + rather cheap parts (and they don't use more expensive lightweight parts). Also you don't pay anything for the brand name.

You say they "have lots of power", but keep in mind that their efficiency is low --> don't compare their power ratings to those of most more expensive brands.
    I have to say though that I find their stuff quite ok for practise purposes, no need to spend a fortune on that equipment.

5. if you say they have lots of power looking at thier website.

dont beleive a word of it.
    i played a ultrabass BX4500H rated aparantly at 450 watts through a 15 inch speaker.

then i played my own gallien-krueger 400rb/210 combo rated at 180 watts (without an extention cab (280 watts with)) and it was so much louder, more defined and high levels and i still had some headroom above the behringer amp.

the most obvious way they are so cheap is they have no ideas of thier own.

take thier latest line of pedals for instance, they look exactly the same as the boss pedals, have the same controlls the only real difference is thier's has 'behringer' on the front, not boss.

its the same with the amps. take this one for example.

http://www.behringer.com/BVT5500H/index.cfm?lang=eng

anything familiar?

http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/svt450h/index.html

also the way they are put together is poor, i tried to warn my friend not to get a behringer amp, i think he got one of the aluminum combos, straight out of the box the grille on the front rattled, thecontrolls werent straight (angled up instead of coming striaght out of the holes)

also they use cheaper materials, and not as lightweight.

i was going to get one of thier 4x10 combos (back before i came on tb) and then realised that it weighed nearly as much as i do.

i think that shoudl be enough.

Savage Hippie likes this.
  6. You get what you pay for. They offer fairly adequate products at a very competitive pricing.

7. They set a very low MSRP so dealers have to work on a very low markup.

8. If you do a search, you'll find lots of Behringer hate on here... For good reason.

They steal other peoples ideas and skew them just enough to avoid losing lawsuit. Hell, they even CLOSELY copy the aesthetics of other products. Slap, meet face. Granted, they have been sued repeatedly by more than several other companies. I know Mackie is one of 'em. Can't think of the others offhand. Plus, they utilize cheap parts and cheap overseas labor. Overall their business ethic is absolutely horrible.

Do yourself, and every company they copy, a favor and do not buy Behringer.

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    If this hasn't been mentioned yet add it to the list: support. There's arguably not much of it built into the business model. Behringers are sold as a cheap commodity.

10. ducatiman

ducatiman

Oct 3, 2006
    new yawk
    i recently played thru a behringer head (don't know, don't WANT to know the model #) at a rehearsal studio....
    terrible, almost fuzzy tone, ghost notes ugh. the low E sounded like multiple notes. between the crap bottoms and the head just horrible. couldn't clean it up with eq, tried every combination i could. just a POS.

imho.......duc

11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    +1.
    Also, these amps, are not built to last.

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Look for videos on utube of a tour of "Behringer City" in China.
    Behringer has their own factories in China and design and support staff worldwide. Part of good engineering is keeping the manufacturing costs down while still providing good quality. They have succeeded at this.

I own a few pieces of gear and overall it's very high quality for the price. It's not a Lexus for a Toyota price. Even Toyota can't do that.

They are built to last. Good components.
    Helps people get into equipment they could not otherwise get into. It's also caused other manufacturers to either drop their prices or live up to the quality and feature expectations of higher prices.

http://www.axetopia.com/news/06_04/Behringer_Roland_Settle.html
    Dennis Houlihan,
    President of Roland Corporation U. S. commented: “We are satisfied that Behringer's current line of guitar pedals is now sufficiently different from the trade dress of the famous BOSS brand of pedals.”

13. This is gonna go no where fast. Try doing a search and you'll find plenty of info that doesn't need to be stated again.

14. quail

quail

Aug 4, 2007
    this reminds me of the BBS replica rims i bought for my car... i got a set of rims for under 600 bucks cause they were china knock offs of an expensive brand... the real ones would have cost me around 3500 bucks for the set... i saved myself 3 grand....am i proud ...no... but i only paid 5 grand for the car... does it make sense to spend over half the value of the car on a set of wheels.... not to me... bravo behringer for bringing gear us poor folk can use and pretend its something substantially greater than it really is... we all have dreams right? when does that ampeg knock off come to the states im in the market for a new bass head

15. All ethics bashing aside, they provide a product of ___ quality at ___ price point and ____ people buy them. I'd be a hypocrite if I said I agreed with their practices, but you like it? Buy it. You dont? Dont buy it. It's what it comes down to. All the negative ill will and well intentionned informing of the masses provided here is not gonna make them go away.

That said, I do not own any Behringer gear, and do not plan to. I buy it quality, I only have to buy it once.

16. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Do a search as this topic has been done to death. This thread is now closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.