Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why is everyone using power amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JehuJava, Nov 14, 2002.

1. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I am looking at a new amp rig and I see everyone else is using poweramps (especially QSC) and preamps. I was planning on getting the Aguilar DB750 amp and DB680 preamp. Is this bad thinking? Should I be looking at poweramp rather than a head unit? I will continue to play through my Ampeg SVT-410HLF.

Al

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Why would you waste Aguilar amplification into an Ampeg cab? And why would you get two pre-amp stages (one in the 680 and one in the 750)?

3. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I am open for ideas.
    I would like plenty of flexibility in sound. I play with a variety of musicians...hard core, rock, jazz, trance, triphop, etc. I just bought the Aguilar DB924 preamp and fell in love with it. I played 680 and love it. I guess they diserve better than ampeg. What are your recomends for a versatile rig?

Al

4. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I was planning on getting the Aguilar DB750 amp ...

Al [/B][/QUOTE]

You probably mean db729 power amp, cause as munji said you don't need two preamp stages.

5. I think the reason most of the people on this forum who use the pre-amp/power-amp setup, do so because they feel it is the best way to get the best pre-amplification and cleanest power available. The combinations are also endless. You can do everything from a straight wire with gain to a microprocessor modeling pre-amp. You can use everything from a single rack 11 lb. Stewart 1.2 to 100 lb all tube whatever. Your choices are endless. As for using Angular with Ampeg, I see nothing wrong with that as long as you are satisfied with the sound. I tried something different last night in using an outboard EQ as a pre-amp into a QSC 850, bridged into a Hartke 4.5. What I noticed different about this setup over other setups I've used was how quickly the speakers STOPPED moving. We were practicing in a room that I had never played in before so this is probably not a fair assesment. But, the point I'm making is that you never know what is gonna give you that sound you've been looking for.

6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    you must be new if you don't know what munji. will recommend for you... ;)

7. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    also, are you willing to dish out two grand for the 750, or about $3800 for the 729 and a 680? there are less expensive rigs out there that will also have good tone. shop around for the most flexible one...

8. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    But if price is boundry get all the good stuff you want. I would try out some other cabs with that Aggie stuff though.

9. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I got my DB680 for $800 and my DB728 $1200 used.

If you're patient you will find these at great prices - especially in this economy!

If you love the sound of the DB924 & the DB680, you will absolutely love the sound of the 680/728 combo through Aguilar cabinets. It's truly worth your time to find a dealer & demo them to see if that's the sound you're looking for!

10. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    true but i have seen a huge increase in the prices used as well. i've seen some 750's going for $1800 used.... you got a great deal though my friend.

p.s. your bobbin' head avatar is cool but it gives me seizures. :eek:

11. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Yeah I hear that - there's some fool that's been trying to sell a 750 on ebay for months. I think it started at $1950 and each time the auction runs out without any bidders. I think the last time I saw it for $1550, but i'm not sure if anyone picked it up...

12. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Yeah, I think I saw the one too. I payed about $900 for my DB 680. And I've seen used 728's for around $1400. Vanselus, sounds like you got some bitchin' deals! It really IS a great used gear market out there right now. Lotsa people selling gear for Christmas too!:cool:

13. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Used is the only way I could afford my Aggie gear. I got lucky with both my DB680 and DB 728.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, I recommend an EBS Fafner with EA cabs. PLPLPLPLPLPL.

15. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    You guys have been a big help...thanks.

Al

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    No you dont, you recommend Eden.

Trust me. I know you better than you know yourself.

Peace
    Nick

17. BlindSide

BlindSide

Oct 11, 2002
    Wausau, WI
    In response to the original poster…

I use a power amp in my rack, so that I can change components as needed. I can change the power amp without it changing my sound much, because I use the preamp for the tone. I use a compressor in my rack but I don’t use it for outdoor gigs. If I wanted to get a different pre-amp, I can still keep my power amp for the power.

I’ve always preferred a rack unit with a separate power amp, pre-amp and various other components simply because of its versatility. With an amp head that has it all-in-one, you are stuck with what you have. If you find you like everything about your amp head, but later find it’s not enough power, what do you do? Conversely, if you feel you have the power you want from the head, but you can’t quite get the tone, then what?

Racks with separate components give many more options, like even using one side of one of your PA amps should your power amp fail at a gig (which has happened to me in the past).

18. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Yeah, but the big question is, What the heck is a DB729? ;) :p

(man, I love being a smartass once in a while!)

19. Glockenklang

20. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Why is everyone using power amps?

To paraphrase an American icon ;)

...more power!!!

I second Glockenklang btw :D