Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why is everything so expensive in New York?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, Apr 9, 2004.

1. When I was driving through it last summer, the prices on things were awful, like $6 for a pack of smokes, $6.50 for a big mac meal, $3 for a 20 oz. of pepsi etc. Oh and don't get me started on all the toll booths, there must have been one like every 3 miles!

Whats the deal? Why is everything so damn expensive in New York? Do things get cheaper away from busy city areas, or does it just cost lots of money to live in New York?

2. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    you think that's bad, try living in london.

$9 for a pack of cigarettes, $10 for a big mac meal etc...

(exchange rates calculated about 2 minutes ago)

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Manhattan and London have to be the most expensive citys i have been to probably london more so. When we had our NYC get together i was with Bustin Justin when he got a pack of smokes and i think he said their is like a $2 tax on smokes in the city. Manhattan is funny like that. At an Irish pub we met up at my beer was less then 4 mozzerla stick's at $4.50.

4. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    tis true- $9 for smokes! (never mind the ticket I got,Kevin :mad: )

It's all relative in terms of salary. Housing, food, drugs are all more expensive in the city, but in turn one would make 5-10K more if they worked in the city (not for the city though)... why this is?..... yo no se!

and yea the dollar is going the way of the ruble, (sp?) the xchange blows.

how's the rent in London?

5. MAJOR METAL

I am sorry about that Bro, how did that work out.

6. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    we have no idea. we live rent-free.

7. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    like I said who are you and why?

8. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    well, I told the courts I had clergy in the car and got off scott free :bag: .

Ok I know I'm not that funny........ I just paid the ticket and cursed the MAN!

9. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    we live with our mum ;)

10. maybe she is one of those type of people who like reffering to themselves in 3rd person. I have a friend like that, he sounds very silly IMO :meh:

11. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    oh your one of those..... :rolleyes:

;)
    lucky youz....

12. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

she is upfront about being broken.....

13. MAJOR METAL

That has worked before, next beer is on me ;) .

14. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, I mean snotty.

15. Yea, stuff costs more in New York. That's probably why buying from the Sam Ash catalog is so pointless, as the high prices don't go over well with the rest of the world who's not making NY salaries. I guess If you live there it's fine, but if you're visiting, stuff's going to be really expensive.

However, the phone booths are still 25c a call! SCORE!

16. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    I'll take a backrub from a snotty girl! ;)

17. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

if ya can find one..... i think there's 2 left and you don't want to go find em.

18. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    bustinjustin- sure, but our uterine plug might slip out in the process.

19. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi all, haven't been to London lately, but in NY my guess is everything's expensive 'cause it's an insane mess trying to get anything into the city. To truck something into NY, if you're coming from NJ you have to pay the ridiculous tunnel tolls and bridge tolls, that kind of thing. And then there's the exciting game of trying to locate a parking spot anywhere in Manhattan. Fresh veggies are outrageously expensive in NY, for that exact reason, it costs them way more to truck 'em in than it does to grow 'em.

20. Isn't that the second person? IAMERICCOCHRANE is talking in third person right now. IAMERICCOCHRANE should talk in the third person all the time because IAMERICCOCHRANE thinks it is really cool. IAMERICCOCHRANE thinks he will go look for those phone booths in NYC too!