Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why is Fieldy So bad!!! Why!!?!!?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Intrepid, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Fieldy sucks ass

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. Fieldy kicks ass

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Fieldy is just there....whatever

11 vote(s)
    47.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Um really, I don't think hes that bad...when he plays bass regularly he does a very good job of supporting the band and sure the clicking sounds are wierd, but its definitely experimental and I would have never come up with something like that....There are far worse bass players out there....*cough*Mark Hoppus*cough*

2. Why do people here at TB obsess over this guy? I don't even know who he is!

Wither its good or bad he is mentioned in just about every thread - he seems to be the most famous/nortorious bass player around.

:rolleyes:

3. Toony

Toony

Jun 15, 2001
    Texas
    fieldy is just there....whatever.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm with you and I've only ever heard one thing by Korn and that was on MTV and I didn't hear any bass playing!

BUt I think it's not the man himself but his fans that have made him a sort of "running joke" in TB. It seems that every time you get some idiot come on who can't spell or express themself in words, they are a Fieldy fan and the ridicule they attract, gets Fieldy tarnished by association! ;)

The quintessential, maybe even eponymous example of this phenomenon was the much-loved and imitated : "FieldYrUleZ" :D

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

PS - I predict this thread to be closed before the end of the day! ;)

6. I'd imagine if you gave Fieldy a Bass that was tuned correctly with a decent setup, he would border on impressive (for that matter, I could go for a bass that was tuned correctly and a decent setup). He does have quite a bit of speed in the slap catagory (Watch the video for got the life, it's kinda cool). He also works well with the drummer (percussive bass, whudathunkit *cough my name is mud cough*). I think if he was playing a real bass, he'd be decent. And NO, I haven't heard any of his stuff with LAPD.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    People hate Fieldy because he never practices, only cares about his sneakers, and he's earning more money than most of us will in a lifetime - playing the bass.

8. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    well the time is 11:33AM where i am...and the threasd isn't closed yet...AND MARK HOPPUS DOESN'T SUCK...he just follows the guitar...

bp13

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    This thread has EVERYTHING! :D Now all we need is someone to say 5+ string basses suck, and we'll be good to go! ;)

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Joe's on target here, IMO. In addition to these, with him, tt's all about;

- appealing to the LCD (lowest common denominator)
    - image over substance
    - whatever makes a buck as opposed to "art" or artistic integrity

Nonetheless, he is a very influential bass player from what I've seen from young bassers. Obviously, he and his band have carved a niche and been smart enough to exploit it to its fullest.

To his credit, he doesn't make any claim or pretense about being a great bass player, from what I've seen.

But, when you get further along into the instrument and the music played on it, you may realize how "hollow" his playing is.

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Joe's on target here, IMO. In addition to these, with him, tt's all about;

- appealing to the LCD (lowest common denominator)
    - image over substance
    - whatever makes a buck as opposed to "art" or artistic integrity

Nonetheless, he is a very influential bass player from what I've seen from young bassers. Obviously, he and his band have carved a niche and been smart enough to exploit it to its fullest.

To his credit, he doesn't make any claim or pretense about being a great bass player, from what I've seen. Like Gene Simmons, there is no love affair with the bass.

But, when you get further along into the instrument and the music played on it, you may realize how "hollow" his playing is.

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    i wish I could remember where I read this, but FiElDy has a protege!!!! Some guy calling himself Mfat in a band called spike 1000. I have no words to describe how I feel about this. Imagine Mr Miagi saying, "Daniel-san, forget wax the floor, must get cool uniform....":rolleyes:

13. The TB-Fieldy bashing problem is an example of the landslide effect. Someone once bashed him and someone else thought "hey, so & so thinks Fieldy sucks, and I think so & so is a cool Talk Basser, so I'm going to bash him too". Well, I'm not so & so, and my 'coolness' is suspect, at best, but I think that it is unfortunate that he gets bashed the way that he does. Frankly, I suspect that a large number of Fieldy bashers here on TB probably couldn't play the bass if their lives depended on it - but, bashing Fieldy seems to be a convenient way to 'legitimize' themselves. If you ask me, I say let the Fieldy threads be, and if you don't like the man or his bass-playing, ignore the threads.

X

(Later edited) ...and I might add, I see nothing in the TB Rules that bans Fieldy threads.

14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001

Wow, I thought it was all a joke; sort of a Zander situation, pick on the obnoxious guy etc. I didn't think anybody was really being very serious about it, kind of just acting goofy with the FiEldY and the fIeLdy and what-not.:D

15. BlackGeezer

BlackGeezer

Aug 21, 2001
    ok I dont think feildy sux at bass or slap. IMO he doesnt play slap. those clicking noises are not very genius and percussive bass has been around a long time. but, clicking noises are not need to be a percussive bassist. whatever happened to playing an open E (open B for you 5's) in beat with the bass drum at a fast part? also, if you really want to hear a band in my opinion that uses slap bass in heavy metal, listen to mudvayne. Ryknow plays many percussive slap lines but you can hear that he is playin a real note. also, he doesn't play the drums on bass he puts in many fills.

So, dont blast fieldy himself because who knows what he plays like out of the studio. same with mark hoppus. his band may suck a donkey's ass with talent but you dont know what he plays like in his spare time. oh and to all you punk rockers, if you get kicked out of a punk band because you play bass "too good" kick thier ass.

16. I first got interested in KoRn becouse of that phat clicking/tapping sound, I thought it was some kind of self made attachment to the drumms, -it just sounded sooo coool. And when found out it was a Bass guitar I was like...WOW I didn't know a guitar could evan make that sound. I know Korn isn't xaktly a band thay play complikated tunes with lots of variations but they have a unique sound whitch is what I think music is all about. - Any body can play some other guys style, like some guy started the punk thing, but now everyonz doin it. The only kind of cd'z I buy is when I'm watching a music station, or at a party and I hear something so bluäa (sorry I can't think of a word) that I just sorda think: Wow...what the hell is that. And the next day I'm iether listnin' to it or playin' it.
    Allot of people here at Talkbass just don't get KoRn, I admit, they DO sound sound realy wierd or tastless, but give them a chance, once you get used to it you'll like it.
    UPS sorry I went on a bit- what was I realy here to say???--oh yea, Fieldy propably isn't that bad a bass player, just for the songs the band plays he isn't that great. He may not be the best, but having your own kind of bass sound is probably better than bean the best. There can not be the best, coz there is no such thing. Everyone has different oppinions and tastes, some find one thing good, others find another thing better, and then they both argue that there choise is the best which goes on, and on and evetually they are at the beginning again.
    So as some guy once said "Live and let live" or something like that.

ROCK ON!!!
    SCODI

17. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I love it that he gets so famuos because of everyone saying he sucks. i mean, think of all the threads on him! I think hes great. but because "his stuff isnt to technical to play, and he looks funny, and hes sold more records than me, i hate him, and he sucks!" I think thats really what it boils down to. people need to quit saying people suck and work on there bass playing. my dad always said "WORRY BOUT YOUR SELF! STUPID!"

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    As far as Fieldy the "bassist" is concerned, I'm not a fan of his or KoRn's, but I respect what they do. I respect ALL bass players. I'm silly that way! :D Anyhoo, I don't think he'd be able to execute his "technique" without an Ibanez, if so, I'd like to see it. As for the band as people, I've found Fieldy and the puke "singer, Jonathan to be a**holes! They treat the fans decent enough, but they try to start fights and treat other bands and reporters like crap. They tried to pick a fight with Ben Folds, because Jonathan didn't approve of his style of music.:rolleyes: As for them being anuses, yes, I've seen this firsthand, so I'm not casting stones, I'm just telling what I saw. The way I look at it, whether Fieldy played like Jaco, or sucked like a vacuum, it's not going to affect my existance. If KoRn sells 5 or 5 millions records, the sun will still rise, so I don't get too worked up about it. I too think that some people dis him without having heard him, because it's popular. IMO, I still think their music is whiny. Some of their songs reminds me of a guy who's a badass in a crowd, but a whimp when he's alone.

19. Five string basses suck, Jaco is sucks, active electronics are for lazy people, basses cost to much, and... and.... Oh man, I can't do it with a straight face anymore :D:D

Personally... I voted #3.. Fieldy is, whatever, who cares. I don't know why people get all uptight about this stuff. I'm not a fan of Korn (or the Imfamous Blink 182) but that doesn't mean I have to blow a rod everytime anyone mentions their names (or the names of their bass players).

I agree with Xavier, I think it came about from some people seeing that some really cool guy on talkbass.com doesn't like FiElDy, and said he sucks, so it became the cool thing to do.

I gotta admit, sometimes its pretty funny :D Especially when people log in and actually post FiElDy RuLz posts when they don't know what they've started..

This thread for enterntainment purposes only :D Just like Psycic Friends Network :D

20. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    That's what I thought, but I'm seeing more and more fiery responses! Oh well, if we're all serious now I think rickbass1 and warwicknut sum it up pretty well. CLickity ClaCkity!! <---when people type this to imitate Fieldy I always think of Ned Flanders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.