1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why is football not called something else?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Skel, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Anybody know why American "football" is not called something else? I would think "Soccer" existed way before American football. If I was inventing a (relatively) new sport like surfing, I wouldn't call it "Basketball" and confuse the rest of the world.

And opinions as to whether soccer is better than football are welcome. I love American football because it's modern day gladiators trying to kill each other, and I like that.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Lack of imagination? :eyebrow:

3. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Because the word "football" is just really cool, and the Americans wanted it :D

4. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Because we're still the most powerful country in the world and can do whatever the hell we feel like doing.

[/useless answer :smug: ]

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

The Football World Cup and FIFA the international football association have the USA as members ...:)

6. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    From what I can gather, American football is based on rugby rules (although for a time it was based on soccer), and the European clubs in the late 1800s and early 1900s were called Rugby Football clubs.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Football, was invented in England and was developed into "Rugby Football" which became popular and was exported to the US - they just dropped the "Rugby" bit!

While Rugby Clubs here, tended to drop the football part!

8. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    So the Americans take all this heat because of Britain? Do you guys at least stick up for us?

9. Bruce Lindfield

Eh...? We beat you at football most of the time!! ;)

10. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Well what do you want to call it? I call it "awesome"...

I actually wouldn't mind calling it gridiron like the much of the rest of the world calls it, sounds pretty badass, like being hit in the face with a gridiron and instead of falling down like a pansy just standing there smiling with a crazy look in your eyes... but that's not gonna happen: if we Americans can't use the metric system, there's no way we're giving you back football for your game that actually involves feet kicking a ball all game.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Nah - we call it "American Football"....:p

12. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I guess there's "Canadian Football", so "American Football" sounds acceptable to me.

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not for long. [/China]

14. From what I've read (and that's not a lot) Canadian Football sounds more fun than American Football.

15. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    China is still a few hundred years behind us.

16. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I spend time on "soccer" forums and I agree the term "Football" is confusing. Sometimes I have to type "gridiron" or "futbol" to clarify. Usually not much of a problem in real life, as "gridiron" people and "futbol" people self segregate....:)

17. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    How about "pointy egg shaped brown thing that bounces funny"-ball?

18. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I didn't know Americans didn't invent it. Therefore it's freakin' "Football".

19. Does that apply to everything else you didn't know wasn't invented by Americans? I think "freakin' boring" is far more apt.

To whoever said that china are 100 years behind America...how do you know? China is such a secretive society they could be technologically in advance of the USA and hiding it. Count how much of the stuff in your house is made in China and think about how war with China and a cut in imports could bring the USA to its knees.

20. because we just like being contrary, otherwise we wouldn't still be ussing inches and pounds, and we might not do other things I can't mention without being political