Why is Guitar Center selling stuff on eBay?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I mean, other than because they can?

I understand that the smaller stores might want to do that, but a huge company like GC has no real need for it. Also, the gear they've been putting up for sale is grossly overpriced. Granted, I don't have to bid on it, but I sure am glad I know better than buy stuff from them this way.

Anyone agree, disagree? Opinions?
  2. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Probably to move gear that hasn't sold in a while. I don't think they would budge too much on prices, so eBay would reach a broader market.

Other than that, maybe it's a GC poser? An unscrupulous individual trying to take on an identity they think is honest? Just some ideas...
  3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

It's just a shot at a market share that they don't normally have in their store being 'brick & mortar'.

Like Canopener said; tryin' to move 'them refrigerator-ators & color TV's.
  4. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Most of the starting bids I've seen are pretty steep to boot. Well, that's for their synths anyway; I haven't really looked at their other listings (I basically just look at keyboard listings on ebay, since I'm a closet keyboardist and hope to score on a good deal someday.)
  5. B/c getting ignorant people and others who just don't know any better in their LOCAL AREA to pay outrageous prices for their gear is JUST NOT ENOUGH! THEY NEED TO REACH IGNORANT AND UNINFORMED PEOPLE EVERYWHERE!

6. giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    Its just another way to move merchandise and to generate sales.

In general prices tend to be on the high side however I have bought two items from CG that I found on ebay. One was a subwave footswitch for my SWR amp, got it for $10 BIN. When it arrived the cord was cut near the plug. This was not shown in the photo and the listing stated no problems. I called, complained, and without asking they offered to refund my money (including shipping) and they did not want it back. I fixed it in 5 min so I got it for free. I don't feel too bad about it because it was at their suggestion that they refund my money.

Second I found a Fender MIM 60's reissue for $360 on ebay. It was at a store in Texas. I picked up the phone, spoke to the rep that handles that stores ebay auctions and asked if they would take $350. They did, paid with a credit card over the phone. Plus they sent it to the store in my city where I picked it up. Thus no shipping expense for me.

Their listings say that the auction may be ended early as the items are for sale in a store. Its just another way to advertise what they have in stock.
  7. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I think this is a good bit of it, but this thread I think is unfortunatly also another part of the reason...

8. LajoieT. . .after reading the thread you linked I'm APPALLED!!! :eek: :mad: :rollno: :scowl: I can't believe that. I deffiniently have lost all but a sliver of my previous respect, trust, confidence, or any other positive feelings for GC!!! There trully is a problem with all the big name companys. :scowl:

9. If you notice the Ebay feedback records for gcrep(whatever number) it's usually pretty bad.
  10. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ etc.
  11. GOOD! They should have a bad rep for the piece of **** they're trying to sell and represent falsely! :mad:
    (I do believe what I'm saying, but, I'm also ventilating a little pent up anger I've had about things in general for awhile ;) )
  12. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Most of them are returns/defects/etc. that they can't unload in person.

Some facts about GC:
    1) They resale items returned as damaged whereever possible, sometimes by switching said item behind the scenes. If you buy a floor item from GC do not walk out of the store without double checking that the item is still the one you picked out. If the salesperson tries to take the item "in back" to pack it for you, refuse. If they had a similalr item returned defective they will swap them rather than pay to ship it back to the manufacturer. This has happened to me, and I later found out it was not an isolated case, but actually something that GC taught at the regional manager level as a technique to reduce returns.

2) They will resell used items as new. I personally was part of an incident where someone traded a mint condition custom guitar, as given about a tenth of its value, and then returned and saw the instrument on the wall as new. When he confronted the manager he was banned form the store. Later he had a go-between check the guitar and verify the serial # was identical to the one he had recorded with his insurance company. After bringing this to light, with documentation the store appoligized and lifted the ban, but sent the guitar to another store where it was sold as new to an unsuspecting person.

However as many here have pointed out, Guitar Center is a HUGE establishment. So overall its possible to shop there and have a good expirience. They typically have an outstanding collection of used gear, due to the sheer volume of trade ins they deal with. They are also one of the only places to get some brands new, like Mesa. If you know what you are doing and can watch out for the pitfalls, good deals can be had at GC. My current rig is all from GC, because that's the only place I could find an MPulse and because my Euro 4 just happened to be there. My forthcoming Spector fretless was ordered through Bass Central in Orlando, because they sales staff at GC wasn't knowledeable enough to know that they could get a fretless Euro simply by special ordering it.

The phrase "buyer beware" is never more true than when dealing with GC though.