1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Why is Hollywood crankin' out lame Star Wars movies?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Low8, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I haven't seen a good Star Wars movie since Return of the Jedi... and nobody will convince me otherwise.

What are your thoughts on why Hollywood (er, Disney as of late) is content with releasing such poopy Star Wars movies? Sure, their returns always exceed their budgets, but let's not kid ourselves -- that doesn't equate to a terrific movie. Weak characters, too many characters, lame stories, copying off the original trilogy, too much CGI... should I continue? I know people from teens to 60s who feel the same way. The people making decisions on these movies are all adults... and as adults, they've all seen the original trilogy... so there shouldn't be any excuse on where the bar is set.

Folks, don't believe the hype machine that gets cranked up every time one of these flicks is sent to theaters. It's okay to turn down what's being offered to you. It's okay to accept that the past six movies have been weak. Just because Entertainment Tonight or the oxygen thieves on NBC's Today show are telling everyone you should get excited about these new movies, you shouldn't. The track record since 1999 has been less than cat puke. There's nothing wrong with going against what your friends may say and saying (like many bold, original thinkers are saying) in that Star Wars movies have been completely lackluster since Episode 1.

Yup, Episodes 1, 2 and 3 were abysmal... but now, we're getting poop of a different flavor with the most recent three flicks. Why oh why???

2015-09-21-1442862457-5849138-hansoloisback-thumb.jpg

ICM and DirtDog like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Return on investment.

Shareholders need money.

Management need bonuses.

sissy kathy, mohrds, Nashrakh and 3 others like this.
  3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

If that’s your opinion there’s no use responding.

SunnBass, pica, Bob Clayton and 9 others like this.
  4. I've never seen a good Star Trek or Star Wars movie.

I guess they'd be o.k. if I could get in a time machine and become 11 years old again.

I think it's that age group they're marketing to.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    JimK and DirtDog like this.
  5. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I know, right. They haven't made a good one since Empire Strikes Back. Anyone who thinks Return was a good movie has suspect taste.;)

basscooker, MikeMig, elgecko and 2 others like this.
  6. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

One word:

Disney

ICM and Bassbeater like this.
  7. ^ Thissssssssssss.
    No one anymore sets out to make the movie that will become THAT movie.
    The movie making formula has become predictable. CG takes the art and unpredictability out of it.
    It's all about the effects, not much in the way of story.
    We need more hungry, young, movie makers that have new stories to tell and aren't afraid to take risks.

Stumbo likes this.
  8. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    disney has to disney-ize everything they touch, and i saw this as a disneyland annual pass holder.

i wasn't thrilled with the prequels, but overall i enjoyed them a lot more than the disney star wars movies; the first one regurgitated one of the original movies, and i really didn't like rogue one. while they brought us baby anakin and jar jar, at least the prequels showed things about palpatine's rise to power that i found really interesting. i also liked some of the clone wars episodes, but personally didn't care for rebels, where i felt that the main characters were pretty generic disney types, although i do like hera.

that being said, i actively hate the new star trek. it undoes everything about the original characters, from making kirk a pointless rebelling bad boy - but apparently that's okay - to making everyone closer in age. and then there's the extra action and violence, and that's just for starters. to me, the new trek and new star wars are cash grabs with more generic space explosions, less thought out characters who are much more generic, built on originals that had huge fan bases, and many of those fans are so grateful for more than they'll watch these new versions and beg for more.

not so, i. i'd prefer to remember shows and movies i loved as they are rather than ruin the entire feel of the shows/movies that made me love them. many people feel that the new star wars movie ruins luke entirely, and imo they're not wrong.

Crusher47 and Bassbeater like this.
  9. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    I think I’ve outgrown them. I’m still interested in the ongoing story, but a one page written synopsis of each movie is now sufficient. Last Jedi is the first one ever that I just don’t want to see. The original characters remind me that they, and I, are old now. Carrie Fisher is dead. Disney is all over the films.

The movies don’t even have the iconic Fox extended fanfare any more. Do they still say Lucasfilm?

Bah.

mohrds and Stumbo like this.
  10. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    1M49yyU.jpg

11. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    The curse of series success - enough people will go see them no matter how bad they are to make crap pay, and if crap pays, why bother making them good? While a few people will stop going, the masses will go spend money to see if the next one is any better...

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  12. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    You're allowed to have your opinion, but don't act like it's bold and original--cynicism always plays well on the Internets. My own view is pretty mixed. I saw the original trilogy in the theaters and liked it a lot--Empire is still the best one, IMO. Then I saw Episode 1 and experienced Jar Jar, etc--ugh, not my thing at all. Skipped the rest of that trilogy.

I saw The Force Awakens and emjoyed it quite a bit. Yes, it definitely echoed the original trilogy, but at least it got away from the incredibly stilted Lucas-penned dialogue that had increasingly plagued the series. Still haven't seen The Last Jedi, but we plan to before it completely exits theaters (I know, we have to hurry).

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Sooooo don't go see them, then. Leave more room in the theatres for those of us who are enjoying them. Check yoru fandom and find something else to enjoy.... no need to look down on the folks enjoying something.

Doctor_Clock, hrodbert696 and blue4 like this.
  14. jhb138

jhb138

Sep 14, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Rogue One is the best Star Wars movie I've ever seen. (I've seen them all, btw.)

SunnBass and Dogbertday like this.
  15. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    What's at the heart of it all, is nothing new.

The people fronting the money have always been risk averse - at the end of the day, nobody lost their job saying "No", and it is a job with very low job security, and fierce competition.

George Lucas was exceptional, and visionary : the fact that he made the fortune he did, in the way he did - and consequently changed the way movies are made, and marketed, forever - highlights the lack of vision that all (but about half a dozen) studio executives had, and their shortsightedness at taking risks.

I personally know, and have worked with some prominent crew members on the original Star Wars movie : they all thought it was a ridiculous, no budget, shoddy B-movie - until they saw it in the cinemas.

Conversely, I have friends in prominent positions on the last two Star Wars movies, and Rogue One, as well as the new Han Solo movie : they grew up with the original movies - it's their dream job, and they feel a tremendous weight of responsibility towards the material, the fans, and their own kids seeing a Star Wars movie for the first time.

The first time around was uncharted territory - when that succeeded, nobody wants to be the person that says "yes", and kills the cash cow (George understood this, listened to the hardcore fans reaction to the prequels, and sold the company).

The movie business is run nothing like it was in 1977 - heck, it's run nothing like it was in 2007.

petrus61 and Stumbo like this.
  16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive Suspended Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I wondered the same thing. It's not like they're making any money. Right?

I enjoyed the last three movies. Yay.
    :D

17. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Yes! I loved it. It’s crazy because it’s missing the force, Jedi, weird alien stuff, etc. I love all that stuff, but Rogue One is like an awesome war movie in space.

18. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Now I gotta see it!:thumbsup:

jhb138 likes this.
  19. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I've liked the last 4. I really wish people would just move on if they don't like the movies.

jhb138 likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 21, 2021