1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why is Hollywood crankin' out lame Star Wars movies?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Low8, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Along those lines, George Lucas Says He Sold ‘Star Wars’ to ‘White Slavers’ - This floored me when I read it, just the other day—maybe he was drumming up some controversy, getting the tongues wagging. Not unusual, these days. There's more to it—and he's done some back-pedaling, I believe. I forget the detail.

I liked The Force Awakens, to a degree—liked Rogue One more. Sad to see Princess Leia, in light of her untimely passing.… Still haven't seen 'em all. Tried to sit through a few, but failed miserably. No dramas. I'll go again. But, for now, they can wait :)

Star Wars had a HUGE impact on me, in '77. I doubt that any of the others will manage to match that sort of intensity. We live in hope :)

GregC likes this.
  2. Perrygoround

Perrygoround

Jun 27, 2016
    Rogue One is a good movie.
    The last one, chapter VIII is decent too. Much better than the previous one (VII is the worst plot and characters on the saga, only the visual aspect can make it more Star Wars friendly than the precuels).
    Chapter III was badly finished, but is the only one that tells an interesting story.
    I, II and VII are awfull. VII is particularly terrible, there is nothing I can save on that one. Everything is wrong.

3. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Because people pay $10-20 to see lame movies. Then pay $5-10 for lame popcorn.

Gravedigger Dav and pie_man_25 like this.
  4. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I also thought Rogue One was good, but maybe because it took place in a more familiar time period and gave some back story and breadth of scope to the originals while managing to feature some original characters. I’ve always been into the more nerdy aspects and could probably be happy watching space battles and laser shootouts for two hours, but I’m shallow like that.

5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    4- classic
    5- very good
    6- decent
    1- :eek::vomit::***:
    2- :eek::***::banghead:
    3- actually not bad, a bit heavy handed trying to tie together loose threads

Since, then they have absolutely been using the name to squeeze as much as they could before the teat runs dry. Hollywood in general uses sequels because it guarantees a certain return. It's the same reason they did a new Ghostbusters, and are looking at a new Indiana Jones. Etc.

Nowadays they make a large amount of their money from overseas. One more reason to use a known name. As long as people keep eating the swill, they will keep dipping the ladle.

mohrds likes this.
  6. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    Seems like I'm one of the few that didn't like Rogue One. I'm a Star Wars fan since the 70s, but I remember turning to my wife about 45 minutes in and saying "what the hell is going on?" I was ready for it to be over around the hour mark.

The truth is that with as many of these as Disney is cranking out, they can't all be good. Some of them will be downright bad. And there's no end in sight. I've lost a lot of my interest at this point, but i have several friends that are still going on opening night for each one.

7. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Of course the obvious answer is profit driven by nostalgia.
    I think the prequels were universally hated for many reasons. Bad acting, bad scripts, too much CGI, plot holes up the yang, etc. Darth Maul made the first one watchable, and Natalie Portman isn't too hard on the eyes. Part of it was also the audience expecting something that had aged with them rather than being the cheesy romps that Star Wars really is.
    I don't mind the most recent two or Rogue One. More practical effects, slightly better scripts, and pretty decent performances. I think they are far from perfect, but I liked them enough to buy the Blu Ray.
    One has to ask themselves are the OG movies are really that good, or were they that new and original for the time that they seem good? C3PO was Jar Jar, Luke chewed on the scenery, they laws of physics mean nothing, Ewoks, little jokes here and there, they were far from being brilliant cinema. However, they were so out there for the time that they set a standard. Thanks to relentless marketing they became a piece of almost everyone's lives. Nostalgia like that is pretty hard to break or replicate.

8. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Why is Hollywood crankin' out lame Star Wars movies?
    It's all youth targeted media for the most part. If we want higher quality "arts" marketed to our children, we are going to have to break out the books and educate the children about what makes art good or bad. Then the market will adjust to their refined tastes.

9. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

One thing I certainly like in the newer ones is the return to practical effects. The CGI in the last three Lucas movies ruined them to the point of being unwatchable. It’s like that whole trilogy was shot in front of a green screen. Even the space battles were overstuffed affairs.

bombjack and GregC like this.
  10. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, that's going to happen...

11. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Lady Gaga opened my eyes through art. hehe

12. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Because money.

Bassbeater likes this.
  13. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

This...

Nothing is a bigger waste of time than a conversation with someone who decides in advance nothing can change their mind.

...and this...

I think there's a problem with people taking entertainment too seriously. I have seen all of the Star Wars movies, and found all of them enjoyable except the prequels, which just made a hash of everything. Even there, episode III wasn't all that bad. They have flaws, sure. It's space opera, not Shakespeare. Suspend some disbelief, relax and have some fun.

And if you think Return of the Jedi was a better movie than Rogue One... oy.

What the heck, while I'm at it, my own personal ranking, best to worst, with no pretension to mean anything other than how much I liked them...

Empire Strikes Back (episode V)
    A New Hope (episode IV)
    Rogue One (Episode ... III 1/2? pre-IV?)
    The Last Jedi (Episode VIII)
    The Force Awakens (Episode VII)
    Return of the Jedi (Episode VI)
    Revenge of the Sith (Episode III)
    The Phantom Menace (Episode I)
    Attack of the Clones (Episode II)

mapadofu likes this.
  14. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    I like them a lot. Im not a superfan. The prequals are mostly bad, but i still like them.

I cry when i watch Rogue One. Almost every time. Its easily the best one.

jhb138 likes this.
  15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    My current project is looking for a name. "Space Opera" has just made it on the list. Stay tuned.....

hrodbert696 likes this.
  16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    What I packed in my lunchbox today....

Banana
    Apple
    Bag o' nuts (unsalted peanuts, cashews, almonds and a few yogurt raisins)
    Small piece o' cheese.
    :D

20180214_104023.jpg

Sorry, my TB brethren. I completely ran out of carrots. :thumbsup: I will rectify the situation ASAP.

That being said, life without beer-n-wings once a week ain't worth livin'! drool

hrodbert696 likes this.
  17. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Because modern life is a degradation, and even our mythologizes are enervated and feeble.

18. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Beer-n-wings once a week (ish) is probably OK. Skip the maple donuts forever though.

two fingers likes this.
  19. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    SMILE WHEN YOU SAY THAT, SON.

20. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    I don't even have kids, but I get that any parent would want their child to have at least some portion of their childhood that is "innocent" / naive / blissfully ignorant.

There's a whole different argument about age categorisations on movies, video games etc, and gender stereotypes reinforced by children's toys, and clothes - but all that aside, the biggest negative for me is that all the kids entertainment ends up being so formulaic : the same messages, the same song, the same stereotypes, the same dilemmas, the same character arcs.

I almost slit my wrists, having to sit through Wreck It Ralph.

If my next girlfriend makes me watch Inside Out, she'll be on a one way ticket to dumpsville.

I'll never forget the look on my friends face, when I bumped into him, coming out of the cinema, having been dragged to see Frozen, by his daughters...

He looked like he needed a lot of whiskey, to balance out all that ice.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2018
    Bassbeater and two fingers like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021