1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why is Hollywood crankin' out lame Star Wars movies?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Low8, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    finalposteredit2.jpg

feature2-1.jpg

MikWht100x_grande.jpg

2002252-1437741605381-darth-vader-mickey-mouse.jpg

Star%20Wars%20Weekend%202013%20mickey%20minnie_0.jpg

79ddba6351d88223e5f06fcf4be252b4--walt-disney-world-disney-art.jpg

sney-pins-mickey-mouse-jedi-star-wars-weekends-2015-new-on-card-c77406fcd62f2eb3a3f7e4e579fd1f27.jpg

mickey-georgelucas.jpg

stormtroopers-mouse-ears.jpg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    hrodbert696 and buldog5151bass like this.
  2. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Got to the truth in a hurry in this thread.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA

Hear hear!!!!

And you nailed it in your first paragraph. As a dad, I just want my babies to be in the double digits at least before dealing with ANYTHING complicated. (Blissfull ignorance is the perfect term.)

Peer pressure to wear the right clothes, not play with the wrong toys, hang out with the right people, etc. is already tough enough..... yes, in kindergarten. (Everything you think you know about "mean girls" is WAY worse than you think.)

Point is, they have enough on their shoulders. They don't need saving the planet, fighting evil, and sexuality thrown in the mix. Let them be kids!!!!!

Wood and Wire likes this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Of course, you could look at it the other way. People are going to see the movies - that means they want the movies to be made. Just like music or any other art form, what it popular take precedence over what is good.

petrus61 and hrodbert696 like this.
  5. So if Walt Disney was still alive and running things, how do you think he would approach making the Star War movies?

6. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Disclaimer: I own shares in DIS

The answer is very simple:

640_Disney_dollar_2016_05_26_14_31_38.jpg

Like Wood and Wire said, movie studios are very risk-averse and want the easiest profit possible - it's why we see so many sequels and remakes of well loved and established IPs. Star Wars is one of the most beloved IPs in the world with a ridiculously loyal and rabid fanbase, so it was a no brainer to churn those garbage flicks out. Anyone who paid attention to what Disney did to Marvel knew exactly what would happen with SW - annual movies of decreasing quality until the general audience gets sick of them, then they'll curb them and pick up the next one.

Working the animators until their eyes bled and demanding 2 movies a year?

Bassbeater, OldDog52 and two fingers like this.
  7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Disney has long ceased being the company it was when Walt was in charge. But even then, his brother did what had to be done to finance them. At the time, getting corporate sponsorship for rides was hardly looked upon as noble. Also remember, just about every "classic" Disney movie was un-original - it just took classic stories in the public domain and re-wrote them. Never mind other things that Disney did that, looking at it today, appear unseemly (the crows in Dumbo, the old man in Song of the South, the Indians in Peter Pan, his anti-union stance).

Life changes.

8. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Do not let anyone "make you" watch anything!

9. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Not to mention the drug addiction and other questionable moral choices that were completely out of step with mainstream society at that time...

10. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I can do you one better: My Little Pony The MOVIE

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'll be spending sever thousand of tjose Mickey bucks later this month. What we are spending on this trip is more than my first three cars combined..... :cool:

12. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Don't worry, I got dragged to that too, or was it The Care Bears movie?

13. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017

I actually found it amusing, and wasn't annoyed by it at all - but The Last Jedi had a very strong vegan "agenda" :

Drinking milk, eating meat (I was more annoyed that Chewie didn't eat the puffin/Pokemon, having already killed it - that's just pointlessly wasteful), animal cruelty (that whole tedious Monte Carlo plot diversion).

And of course, broader issues, like child labour / exploitation (I guess they were preaching more to the members of the audience that own multi-nationals with that one - it will probably get cut from the version shown in China, and India, or risk inspiring a future uprising, with the final scene).

jmattbassplaya likes this.
  14. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    I can’t find any claims that the version shown in China was altered. However, the film was a major flop there. It was pulled from theaters after only 2 weeks.

Why Disney's 'Last Jedi' Mind Trick Isn't Working in China

15. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Sheeple

Bassbeater likes this.
  16. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Having revisited the prequel trilogy recently, the thing that bothered me the most was the CGI. It simply didn't age well. Force Awakens was quite good as a popcorn flick if nothing else. Haven't watched any SWs after that, come to think of it.

17. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Super conductive to a discussion!

hrodbert696 and GregC like this.
  18. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I think at this point they're only making the movies to introduce new characters that they can merchandize the heck out of!

First it was that balled up droid & then a fuzzy little animal. Pardon me for not knowing what they're called, but I see they inundate the toys aisle in the big stores.
    Heck, they're even selling S.W. merch in convenience stores, but that's probably nothing new.

I can vaguely recall wanting those toys from McDonald's when I was a kid, but dear old dad took us to Burger Chef instead of Mickey D's:

335px-Burger_Chef_front_view.JPEG.jpg

It's odd, because I hated B.C. as a kid, but now I miss it when I pass by the old location.

I'm a little upset with all the S.W. merch obliterating the Star Trek merch. Our Wally World used to have S.T. models for sale, all gone once the new S.W. merch showed up.

19. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    I was joking.

China was probably too swept up in the Lepin Star Wnrs movie, to even notice a Star Wars movie.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    OldDog52 likes this.
  20. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    If you build it, they will come?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021