1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why is Hollywood crankin' out lame Star Wars movies?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Low8, Feb 13, 2018.

1. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Bolded and upsized for emphasis - this has been Star Wars' bread and butter since day 1 when Lucas got shafted on the royalties in the original contract. That's why there were so many animals and new characters in this one in particular.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Which explains the Ewoks.

Nothing else does.

dreamadream99 likes this.
  3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

In answer to the original question: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Any other pertinent questions? ;)

4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I just looked at Toys R Us website.

They have 750 Star Wars SKUs.

5. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    -As a kid i used to collect Star Wars SKUs

6. ghostinthemach

ghostinthemach Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Brea CA
    The money is just a convenient by product of the brainwashing process. They’d still do it if it made no money at all, because it’s necessary to control what we think.

Those powers don’t need our money (they already hold the lion’s share), that’s just lubrication to keep their minions happy without personal investment.

7. That's what happens when Walt dies and a board of directors takes over.

Same thing happened to Wal Mart. Used to be you could count on anything sold there being of good quality (for the price), but 20 years ago, it started to sell whatever the highest profit crap was.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I haven't seen the latest one, but I have liked each one I watched. I like the graphics and visual effects. They always seemed ahead of their time.
    The amount of effort spent creating those universes/worlds always drew me in like I was part of it.
    The first three released are a huge part of my childhood, so I will never forget those.

-Mike

9. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    SKUs was OK, but certainly no R2D2 or C3PO.

mapadofu and Bassbeater like this.
  10. pappabass

pappabass Inactive

May 19, 2006
    Alabama !! Roll Tide
    Real easy,,, see all the star war toys being sold ??

11. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Strange then, that none of the 20 richest people in the world own a movie studio. Forbes 2017: World's top 20 billionaires

12. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I liked Rogue one and "The Last Jedi". The characters are interesting and I am enjoying the story. I don't think they are "lame" at all.

MJ5150 and FilterFunk like this.
  13. ghostinthemach

Apr 3, 2011
    Brea CA
  14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Ya gotta love someone who will find a conspiracy in anything. I watch the trash men closely, I'm sure they're inventorying my yogurt cups.

And I enjoy all the Star Wars movies. Suspension of disbelief isn't that difficult to achieve.

LiquidMidnight, blue4 and GregC like this.
  15. ghostinthemach

Apr 3, 2011
    Brea CA
    Don’t shoot me. I’m just the messenger.

16. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Who? The people in charge of the studios, who apparently DON'T control the lion's share of the world's riches? 'Cause most of them answer to corporate parents with diverse businesses that would cut loose a division that isn't making money in a heartbeat.

17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Long story short, Disney doesn't understand what makes Star Wars special. Somewhat surprisingly, neither does/did George Lucas. The original Star Wars was saved in editing, and the original trilogy was successful largely because Lucas was surrounded by smart, talented people who didn't allow him to do what he wanted.

On another note...

Check out Red Letter Media's reviews of the prequel trilogy on YouTube. Their breakdown and synopsis of those films are fantastic for anyone even remotely interested in the development, production, and execution of those movies.

Bassbeater likes this.
  18. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    ??!!

Lucas was 99% in charge of 4-1-2-3. He wrote & directed them! He probably contributed 60-80% to 5-6. At a minimum he personally approved every scene in them.

Then he personally ordered really dumb changes to later video editions of 4.

Disney understands Star Wars. But they have to please their shareholders as well as the fans. ROI. Those two objectives don’t always go together.

If I watch A New Hope now (original theatrical release), it doesn’t have the same magic for me as it did in 1977. What’s changed? The movie? Or me?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  19. I am going to have to strongly disagree with the OP. I think the last three films were quite good, especially Rogue One.
    I think Disney has done a fine job overall with the franchise, but I will admit I am a big Disney fan in general. I find it a bit funny and entertaining how butt hurt some people get over the direction Disney has taken with the films. They take it so personal.

Selta and OldDog52 like this.
  20. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    I bet they make up the numbers. No one is watching this crap. It's terrible.

Now the original three were huge! There was no doubt about those numbers. Now? I think they make crap up and people just believe it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021