1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why is Hollywood crankin' out lame Star Wars movies?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Low8, Feb 13, 2018.

1. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    Box office take is reported by theaters, Fandango, etc. basically in real-time directly to an independent company called Rentrak. If “they” were in control, every movie would be a financial success.

Rentrak - Wikipedia

If a publicly-owned company like Disney was making the numbers up, well, let’s say they’d have a serious problem when that inevitably became known. Also Last Jedi would have done $200M in China, not $20M & pulled from theaters after just 2 weeks.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    GregC likes this.
  2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Don't let facts get in the way of a conspiracy theory, k? :D

Pilgrim, mohrds, GregC and 2 others like this.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    There are some wild conspiracy theories brewing in this thread.
    I'd expect it in some topics, but Star Wars? Come on people, really?

-Mike

4. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Suppose Disney inflated the Last Jedi numbers by 50%. They claim $300M in movie rentals, but the real number is $200M. How are they going to hide that missing $100M on their balance sheet?

Creative accounting is a real thing, but a public company can’t claim substantially more revenue than actually exists. Not for long anyway.

GregC likes this.
  5. I'm old enough to have seen the very first one in the theatre when it was new, in 1977. Very much enjoyed it and the next two. I've suffered through all the ones that followed, and will suffer through all the ones to come, because they're so forgettable that I forget how boring they are.

6. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    It's all about massive opening weekends, and then creative accounting after the fact, to show that every movie makes a loss - that way they can worm their way out of paying everyone that agreed to take a hit, and collect off the back-end.

Bassbeater likes this.
  7. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    A New Hope was so full of fresh ideas and creative energy, who couldn’t love it at the time? It was groundbreaking.

Empire Strikes Back was a great film, not just a good entertainment. Very cinematic. Thank you director Irvin Kerschner.

Irvin Kershner - Wikipedia

8. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    I'm not a fan and have never seen any of the movies on the big screen. That being said, I think Star Wars is better since they returned to the look of the original movies. I'll watch it on the tv. I can't get into the first reboot movies with all of the weird makeup. Leave the makeup to rock musicians.

9. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    And Jedi had prehistoric teddy bears, with New Jersey accents.

Everyone loves prehistoric "wise guy" teddy bears ; they even got their own spinoff movies, and cartoon (with music by Stewart Copeland).

What I want to know, is why isn't Hollywood making more Star Wars Holiday Specials?

David Jayne and OldDog52 like this.
  10. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    You're certain you haven't been watching "Kiss meet the Phantom of the park", and confusing it with "The Phantom Menace"?

OldDog52 likes this.
  11. Different strokes. I've already mostly forgotten them.

Bassbeater and OldDog52 like this.
  12. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I saw Rogue One in a theater. I think it had something to do with how the Death Star plans were stolen by the Rebels. Or were they The Rebellion.

Am I even close? Cuz that’s all I can recall.

I’m sure it’s me, not the movie.

13. I saw the first one, in the theater, when I was young. Loved it. Never could get completely through another one of the series. So many DEVOTED fans, but not me.

14. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Lucas had control of 1, 2, and 3, which is why they were so poorly done.

4 was Lucas' vision, but the editing, which was actually done by Lucas' first wife and two others, is what made it a good movie. There's a short documentary called "How Star Wars was Saved in Editing" that you should heck out. Again, smart people around him saved that movie as well as 5 and 6 which Lucas also had less control of.

mapadofu and OldDog52 like this.
  15. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    My issue is not with them making the movies, but the fact that hey are just glomming onto the Star Wars name. New characters, new plots - have some stones and don't call it a sequel.

16. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Simple answer; because people pay to see the lame product.

Vote with your money.

Don't go.

Low84 and blue4 like this.
  17. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    As far as the new Star Wars movies go...I proudly admit that I really liked the prequels, even with annoying Jar Jar and emo Anakin. It's been a while since I've seen them, though, so perhaps my opinion would change. The new Disney films are technically solid. They are a bit cliche, however, at this point. I don't believe for a second that any of them will ever be classics in the way the original trilogy became a classic. I thought Rogue One was an interesting addition to the canon. The Force Awakens was clearly a rehash of New Hope. I guess there are only so many ways you can tell a hero's journey story, though. I liked The Last Jedi. However [minor plot spoilers be ahead], I really wanted to know more about Snoke as the storytelling was propping him up to be an interesting big bad. I also commented to my girlfriend that from a storytelling point, the whole codebreaker sub-plot was totally pointless and provided about 40 minutes that did nothing to further the plot or development of the story.

With that said, I'll continue to see the movies because I still think that they are overall worth while.

18. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    "I don't like it, so you shouldn't either." No matter what you're doing anymore, there's always somebody ready to call you sheep for doing it. Getting coffee, listening to popular music, getting a beer, watching a movie with your kids, you name it. Sometimes I just like to have a Mich Ultra or a cup of Folgers coffee and watch a movie about space battles.

Empire Strikes Back has always been my favorite. But then again, I watched it as a child while playing with my Hoth snow fort and Darth Vader action figure so that's probably a factor..... Ever have a conversation with one of those guys who only like the first two? They've paid money to see every one over the course of decades, yet haven't like one since 1980. And I'm the dumb one?

I'll keep going to see them. Aside from Attack of the Clones, I've liked everyone of them. And I've still retained my ability to like more serious movies at the same time.

MJ5150, GregC and Selta like this.
  19. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Maybe not, but pretty much everyone I know has seen them and enjoyed them, from the comments they have made.

Reminds me of Yogi Berra, who said "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

Messenger.....? Or undercover surveillance agent....? Now we're all suspect.

I gotta go count my yogurt cups and check my precious bodily fluids.

:D:roflmao:

jmattbassplaya, blue4 and GregC like this.
  20. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Because they know people, especially Star Wars fanboys will go see it. It's a franchise...put the Star Wars name on it and they will come.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021