1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why is Hollywood crankin' out lame Star Wars movies?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Low8, Feb 13, 2018.

1. I am a huge Star Wars fan. I was too young to see the original in the theatre, but I do remember watching it at home and seeing Empire in the theatre. I read a lot of the books that were coming out in the 90s. I especially liked the Rogue Squadron series. I enjoyed the prequels. I remember how cool it was to see the Jedi fighting side by side.

The Last Jedi is the first one that I have not liked. I felt like they tried to put too much in to it and it felt forced. I will watch it again (and again and again) because it is Star Wars, so I hope it grows on me. I really hope that Ep 9 will be better.

2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    didn't respond to this, because i wanted to think about it for a while, i'm an art teacher, not really a film theorist

hmmm,
    there is a constant and increasing demand for iconic geek culture, the old semi underground star trek conventions had nothing on the international youtube nostalgia and reaction phenomena

i think maybe rather than concentrating on the more recent star wars lameness, maybe looking at what worked with mad max fury road might help

having some character development
    absolute minimal cgi
    little unnecessary dialogue
    not recreating/reimagining the previous films
    no emphasis on cuteness

one last thing i would like to mention about the new star wars movie, i always assumed that the larger ships ran on reactors or similar technology, while the smaller ships needed to be refueled or charged in some way, therefore making the need for fuel operate less on a individual survival level as the need for oil and water in the mad max movies

jmattbassplaya and Bassbeater like this.
  3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    The gf and I are huge Disney fans, annual pass holders, the whole deal. I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment. Particularly in regards to the Last Jedi, the messaging was overtop. There's something to say about how men were treated in it, but that's for another discussion when I have more time. Long story short, I await a return of entertainment for the sake of entertaining

But for now... coffee!

two fingers likes this.
  4. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I quite enjoyed Rogue One. I did see it on a flight, though. It wasn't very sophisticated, but enjoyable in the vein of the originals.

Is Rogue One a prequel-sequel, or a prequel?

Still, I do wonder why, with all the sophisticated robots, why are they such poor shots?

5. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    $$

6. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Why is Hollywood crankin' out lame Star Wars movies?

The same question could be asked of any film franchise. Once they decide to turn a good film into an ongoing series of sequels so they can generate as much revenue from it as possible the whole thing goes downhill, sometimes rapidly.
    It's like recording your first album...

you spend a lifetime creating the material for album #1, then a year to create album #2.
    And the product suffers.
    Disney has become the worst of the lot with film franchising, cranking out one piece of junk after another.
    Walt would roll over in his grave if he knew how greedy the company has become.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Banana Splits. The Great Space Coaster. Sigmund and the Sea Monsters. Land of the Lost (the original from when we were kids). Yogi Bear. The Bugaloos. H. R. Pufnstuf. Hong Kong Phooey. Wacky Races. The Great Grape Ape. Fraggle Rock.

-Mike

charlie monroe and two fingers like this.
  8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Old school!!! :thumbsup:

MJ5150 likes this.
  9. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yeah buddy.
    The cool thing about those is you'll have as much fun watching them as your girls will.

-Mike

charlie monroe and two fingers like this.
  10. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    On the plus side of course, having these things in your show has led to increased acceptance for minorities, gays, and so on. So in fairness, they've got that going for them. I'm not saying it's not over the top sometimes, but fair is fair.

GregC and LiquidMidnight like this.
  11. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    Do you really have to ask why? I'll let Liza and Joel answer....:whistle:

12. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Phineas and Ferb could be one of the greatest shows ever.

I also enjoyed Kim Possible and iCarly.

two fingers likes this.
  13. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I was on a church retreat to Wyoming when my pastor described A New Hope virtually shot for shot. I saw it in the theater eventually, not in its first run, and was astounded enough that when Empire Strikes Back came out, I was dying to see it. Roger Ebert gave it a mediocre review, but I didn't care, and it was one of the first movies I ever saw by myself. I found it to be jaw-droppingly good, and I was 17 years old. I was pissed when Darth Vader claimed to be Luke's father. I knew he was lying, and it just proved how evil he was. I was sure of that!

jmattbassplaya, blue4 and slobake like this.
  14. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    A great majority of those shows promote the use of psychotropic drugs. Although the Great Space Coaster is more likely to promote really bad trips than anything else. Pufnstuf of course is pure joy.

15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Funny enkigh to take over the tri-state area!!!!
    Might+be+a+bit+of+a+silly+question+but+is+_1bb99178589ffcb6ee601d8ed404fdb9.jpg

16. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Dang bro, you've been ranting about this all day.
    I think you're safe among the TB crowd. I don't believe any of us are accusing you of anything.

-Mike

jmattbassplaya and Selta like this.
  17. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 12.17.43 PM.png

18. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Really mess with their heads, by showing them The Singing Ringing Tree.

-Asdfgh- likes this.
  19. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    That goldfish was creepy. As well as everything else that was weird, or creepy, or weird and creepy.

Wood and Wire likes this.
  20. BigBasserino

BigBasserino

Apr 30, 2017
    I think there's childhood memories, and real life. Myself, I grew up thinking the original trilogy was something akin to the bible, I watched it so many times (and Indiana Jones, but I didn't really think the whole desert setting was as appealing). And we always ask (if you don't, I question you as a fan) "I wonder what's next for _____?"

So eventually, companies give people what they want. We get a new Ghostbusters, we get a new Jumanji, we get a new Total Recall, Batman, Robocop, Superman, etc etc etc. And our imaginations are HUGE compared to what things can be now. I mean, we even have VR now....But does anyone care to buy?!

I think the latest film actually did the best effort of channeling the old film style with the ...(well, guess I gotta say it now) "old actors" and the new roles. The film quality (the stuff it was recorded on) looked closer to the originals. As for Skywalker, well, he's old, and he looked like he had some Disney-influenced "bullying is bad, mmmm'kay?" infused into his whole distraction of Kylo Renn (the character/actor just don't do anything for me despite his "join me in destroying the world" agenda). So why am I continuing to buy tickets to see this stuff? Because I want to believe that the series can be revived and that Anakin in a pod racer is not the new value of what Star Wars is! ....That and it's affordable.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021