1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why is it Bass players don't get DVD shots?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bluesbreaker5, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Bluesbreaker5

Bluesbreaker5

Mar 24, 2006
    OK...not complaining but....recently purchased DVDs of John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers 7Oth Birthday and The Doors 2001 LA Woman (I know...I'm behind the times)...but very little camera shots of the bass players. Saw Ronnie Baker Brooks on cable....very little bass player shots. What we got to do...become frontmen too??? Let them TRY to sound good w/o bass!!!

2. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I've been on DVD... I couldn't complain about getting camera shots. I do move around and try to work the audience.

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

It doesn't have to be a DVD, any video camera person will neglect the bassist.

4. Mixmasta J

Mixmasta J

Dec 4, 2004
    dont they usually fixate a camera on everyone for the whole show, and then some cammeras picturing the whole stage?

Im pretty sure they do this and then pick and choose the shots that they want

5. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    It's really all about band setup. If the bass player gets up and "steals" the show- they watch the bass player more. If the bass player stands there and watchs the drummers bass drum, they don't care.
    So if you can sound good w/ moving, you're golden
    But I'd much rather sound good first, then look good.

6. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    what really irks me is when there is a good solo going on (guitar or bass) and hey show the right hand. like woop dee doo.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Often, bass players are sidemen, not considered part of the band. Remember how much camera time Darryl Jones got when the Stones did the Super Bowl half-time? Approximately zero. I will never watch the Stones again.

8. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Well, it's one of the disadvantages of playing an instrument that doesn't always jump to everyone's ears immediately and often requires you to listen closely to pick out, particularly in Rock and Blues. Remember, bass is "not that important because you can hardly hear it.". :rolleyes:

I remember some Chili Peppers TV footage with Dave Navarro on guitar and Flea hardly got any camera time because Dave was a much more outgoing guitarist than John, who didn't always play a breakneck solo in every song.

I agree with Munjibunga, too.

9. lol i agree

10. Yea its just a fact the bassist gets the least attention, Guitar players and vocalists will always, ALWAYS get more attention then the bassist. It suks i know, but i suppose the more attention u bring to yourself the more shots ud get, walk around and play like a mad man lol, walk up and lean on the guitarist, go and sit down infront of the vocalist haha, slowly inch ur pants down if thats what it takes. lol no really, bassists arnt considered much of a part of the band, however there are those who u see with just as much shots as your guitarist ( I can think of one particualry who had a massive amount of shots for his first DVD then the band got a second guitarist and he was pushed to the back and got maybe 3 shots and an introduction. But then again the crowd cheered a hell of alot more for him then some of the other members). But heck, you look at them, they are up the back, they are smiling they are loving it. They arnt concerned about the DVD Shots, they are loving what they are doing, if they have a problem, they can ask for maybe some more shots. Its unfortunate i know, but truth is not many people respect us bass players as much as we'd like:(

11. To tell you the truth, one of the reasons I love the bass is because I can hang around the back of the stage with the drummer and remain inconspicuous if I want to. I have absolutely no problems with the lead singer and guitarists taking the spotlight.

12. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    +1 This is me also. Look at Nikki Sixx and Geddy if you sing or are in the front you will get the camera. For years the bassist role was the dude back by the drums hunched over laying it down even in the DB days big band era.We are just the backline face it unless you are like Sid V and crazy. The guitar get the front and always will if you cant deal with that learn to sing with the bass or play guitar or become a singer cuz you wont get the camera....or much attention and i'm very cool with that:p

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    This reminds me of the time I was watching BET Jazz. This bassist was doing one of the most amazing solos I'd ever heard, and the camera was showing the sax player looking at the bassist. :rollno: To end the solo, the bassist was in the middle of resolving the chord with a 4 note walk down, and they showed that. :scowl: :mad: It made me mad, because he was doing some interesting things that I could've learned from.

14. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I've seen two dream theater dvd's and john myung was on the screen pretty often... but he doesn't only play the root noot either...

i've seen some racer x videos and while one of the guitarists(paul gilbert) was having a solo they filmed the second guitarist who was doing power chords, and while the bassist was having a solo they filmed paul gilbert who wasn't playing at all... stupid...

15. As much as it pisses me off too, I just gotta laugh when this kind of thing happens.

16. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    I just bought the Rush DVD R30....Geddy Lee gets a whole bunch of camera time, even when he's not singing.

But I know what you mean....the rhythm sections of the world get the short shaft most of the time.

I guess that means we should all unite and demand more screen time?

17. I just got through reading a pretty good book called, Bang Your Head: The Rise and Fall of Heavy Metal.
    There was one story about the guys in Aerosmith complaining about how much time they get in the video. He told them if you make it interesting, I will film you. He said he got the best performance out of all of them because of that.
    Look at Michael Anthony for Van Halen. I just watched a show on Sammy's solo tour and M. anthony played a few dates with him. On the show he got a ton of air time, but thats because he is real flamboyant while playing.

18. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    I read that book too...pretty interesting! You should also read the Aerosmith biography, "Walk This Way." It's a very good read and it not only gives you the Aerosmith story, but it also gives you insight into the music business.

Okay, back on topic...

19. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    I disagree. On The Pink Floyd DVD their were plenty of bass shots. And on my Slipknot DVD they have a camera angle where you can adjust the amount of the bass player you see. But I will say camera people don't like bass players unless you're in their face.

20. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten

I saw Ronnie Baker Brooks at Buddy Guy's on a trip to Chicago last year. His bass player played through and Eden rig with a Lakeland 5 string. The dude was a monster...really cool runs and pop and slap stuff during blues tunes...very tasteful, heck of a bass player. I'm not sure if it was the same guy as the vid..but he was really animated and fun to watch and listen to. What a shame!