Why is it guitarists like it stock?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Jul 18, 2002.

1. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    I mean, half the guys here enjoy customizing their basses in some shape or form but my guitarist friend won't settle for some copy of a good guitar.

Me and my friend are planning on buying him a new guitar for his birthday in October and everything he wants is out of our league because he wants the real deal. Why bother getting the real deal when he can get the tone he wants by customizing it?
  2. Listen

May 19, 2002
    Guitarists are lazy...

3. well, this is an uninformed generalization based on one case, obviously. head over to the fender forum sometime, half of those guys go NUTS with mods.
  4. maybe its cause the tone they want is already there...? they are easy to please :D
  5. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    I must admit, yes this is a one case generalization. But this guy sure is picky...I'm getting him an Essex!
  6. I dunno' about that "lazy guitarist" thing. I decided to play bass after attmepting guitar because I was too lazy to learn chords and I only had to play one string at a time instead of up to 6. Now I have taught myself powerchords (all a punk needs) and I'm happy with that. I think I'm lazy in that respect.

7. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    It is a generalitzation but I had to say it. My guitarist is REAALLLY lazy. It's actually quite amazing sometimes, and also sometimes very funny.
  8. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hmm, maybe they're more concerned with mastering the instrument, and not so much with the instrument mastering them.
  9. Horsehockey. The guitar replacement parts market is nothing short of ridiculous. The basic Stratocaster lends itself to so many possible modifications that it can fit the desires of just about any player.

And Jazzbo, how many guitarists do you know who are interested in mastering the instrument, and how many just want to get laid? I mean, be realistic.
  10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I think the simple answer is effects.

Once you've run a guitar's signal through a half dozen pedals, who can tell a Duncan pickup from a Bartolini? A single coil from a humbucker? I'm sure there's some differences, but I'm sure that all guitars start sounding the same once you've processed them enough.

Bassists have less in their signal chain, so when we don't like our sound, we have no choice but make mods.

It's the nature of the beast.
  11. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    And don't mind me, I'm just feeling cranky today.
  12. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    Peter McFarrin you are so right. I'm amazed on how my guitar friend just doesn't want to customize to his taste.

BTW, anyone know if Essex guitars are any good?
  13. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    They want to get laid because they're tired of mastering their instrument;)
  14. That includes me...:cool:

Sounds like my "stick up the pooper" lead guitarist...
  15. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
  16. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
  17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If they are as good as the basses, they should be OK. I am thinking of ordering one of their Tele copies in a couple of months(after I order one of their P bass copies;))
  18. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    My guitarist modified his Westone. Yeah, he put reflector-like stickers all over it.