Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why is it s hard to find a decent drummer?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ross, Aug 27, 2000.

1. ross

ross Guest

Mar 17, 2000
    I know some of you people had to have problems finding a drummer.I been jamming with the same two guitrists for a few months and we honestly cant find a drummer.I mean we run into some serious problems like the drummer cant make a simple beat or hes stoned ot of his mind or both.I am curious to hear some of your stories on drummers.

2. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Hey,man.....don't tell my about drummers!
    Last February,the drummer(38 years old.....) of my Fusion group suddenly disapeared,after 10 years,without giving any reason.....
    Do you know how many guys I had to call from February to July:27!!!!!
    The 27th seems to be the good one,at least I hope!
    The other 26:oops:r they ere busy,or they weren't good enaugh,or they weren't serious people,or they wanted to earn money playing fusion in Italy!
    The biggest problem for a group is not about music often,but is about the heads of the people....

3. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    There are plenty of them in the primate cage at the zoo.

Just kidding, I love drummers...........

4. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I hope nobody calls me a Drummer Racist, but in 26 years of playing, I have yet to meet a drummer who is playing with a full deck...Umm...actually, played with one who was properly trained - music schollarship, conservatorium, etc. He could play any beat you can think of, but with absolutely no feeling at all. All I had to do to throw him off was to tap one beat with my foot and play another. He would look down to my foot and just stop ;)

5. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    As a drummer (in the process of learning bass), I need to say a few things.

I agree that alot of drummers are a few sandwiches shy of a picnic.

Most drummers that I have come across that try to be badasses aren't. They just think they are. I'm no Bozzio, but I was one solid drummer that played with heart. Alot of the newer breed of drum guys (that I know) are trying to be Portnoy's, all technicians with no feel.

Drummers and bassist get the bad raps in bands anyways.

Good musicians, as a whole, are hard to find. Sometimes the chemistry in a band makes you better. I joined a band several years ago that was not that goos IMHO but they needed a drummer. Their current drummer was just plain weak. He couldn't even keep steady beats in AC/DC songs. I joined them and everyone tightened up and it became a pretty good band until it's unfortunate demise.

Now that I am playing bass and have to fantastic guitarists, I am shopping for a singer and a drummer. I fear it, really.

6. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    I lucked out. The drummer in our band is fantastic. Not to mention he has his head on straight!:) I was dreading the auditions of drummers at the time, but we lucked out on our second audition. Hope you have the same luck!

7. I'm going through it right now, looking for a new drummer. The problem we're having is not finding good drummers, but good drummers for our style. We played with a guy who had a killer pocket and great feel, but he was too jazzy/funky for us, he couldn't do the Keith Moon/John Bonham thing that we need a lot of the time. We have a temporary replacement right now but we're not sure he's the guy. It's a bitch, for sure!

8. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Well, if you guys figure it out, let me know. I'm in the same boat. The best drummer I ever worked with was one of those "friend of a friend" auditions. He sat down, did a quick rundown, followed by an off-time hi-hat sip. That was all I needed to hear! I told the band later that I knew he was the one we needed after only 10 seconds. Unfortunately, that didn't last. Now, I'm stuck 320 miles from the core of people I know, and no drummer in sight. It appears that most of the bands I know are currently going through the same thing. Oh, woe is me.........

9. I have a good drummer friend that is fairly normal(?) and we have backed up several singes together as a team and we are known as a tight ryhthm section. We just know what the other is thinking and he is a very strong and aggressive player who drives the band. Other than him and one other guy, i've been complaining about drummers for years. My friend now has a gig that we don't see each other and i really miss him. The gig i play now every Sat is a show that we do 30 some diff songs every week, a real challenge to be sure. That drummer has been there 6 years, and has a degree in music, but little talent IMO. The band there is really good and he is by far the weakest player. He is good for the show with his style, and it's hard to get things prefect when you do so many different songs every week, but the "little things" are just so lacking with playing with him. Maybe it's because he has a background in jazz, but his bass foot mostly drives me nuts cuz it's the same thing every song, just insipid quarter notes. I love for the kick drum patterns to change up on the chours and verse. Little things like that make a song to me. Also the endings of the songs with him are hard, he just lacks common sense on them. Plus, he's a strange drummer that tends to play songs slow instead of fast. He's not a hard hitter at all so things tend to drag alot of times. I can get him to copy amd cue off me, but it takes alot of effort on my part and i've got alot of things going on at once on the show. That said, he is a normal guy and shows up prepared to a point.
    I just wonder if there is a drum message board where drummers complain about bass players?????

10. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I miss Josh...
    He was our drummer and from the first time we played, he and I clicked. He was one of the best drummers I've ever heard, hands down. I actually got to play alongside him too. I've seen others and played with others... nothing even close.
    BTW, if you live in St. Louis and are in need of a drummer, Josh Reeves is the man! Look him up.

11. Xeo

Xeo

Aug 21, 2000
    A friend of mine, a drummer, is one of the best I've ever met. Fast, able to keep his mind on what's happening, and here sure as hell feels what he is playing. He is a mini Virgil Donati, we played a lot of displaced rock songs together. If you meet a drummer who can play the opening part to 6:00 by Dream Theater 3 times in a row at different speeds, then snap him up. Scott can. Sadly, I moved away before we could ever play on stage together...

12. Q:How can you tell if a stage is level?

A: The drummer is drooling out both sides of his mouth!

Oh I'm sorry i had too! :D

Okies, my band Angora has been wasting its time with a drummer who actually wants to be a guitarist for over a year. Everyone else is really talented and practices for an hr a night. This guy would be lucky to practice an hr a month! We're going to trial a new drummer who was in my other band Random Chaos, thing is, he plays so hard and loud it drowns out the PA. lol

If you know any drummers in South Australia, Email me!!!

Merls

13. I havn't had much experience with drummers but the drummer I'm now forming a band with is a good player. Only he is a bit weird. He is addicted to his drumset (he really can't live with out it), which is not a bad thing (really good actually) but that sometimes can be a bit annoying. he also doen't have a van (or a car) which means we always have to practice at his house.
    But overal he's a nice guy, just a bit weird. And to believe all the stories i've heard so are almost all the drummers.

14. JimmyLikesBeans

JimmyLikesBeans

Aug 19, 2000
    at least your drummer isnt addicted to crack, but you never know, he might be

15. JimmyLikesBeans

JimmyLikesBeans

Aug 19, 2000
    at least your drummer isnt addicted to crack, but you never know, he might be.

Hope it works out

16. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    When I was young...one of my best friends..was a fantastic drummer..and only 17 at the time. Thinkg back...he really was..one of the best I have ever heard.
    I think a GOOD drummer is hard to find, because so many people think that just beating on the skins and keep somewhat adequate time...is good enough. If anyone here has ever played drums....you know how much more is involved. It takes some real "natural" ability to be GOOD.
    Sort of like playing bass....:D

17. Dragen

Dragen

Aug 31, 2000
    My band just found a drummer. He's incredible. He started playing when he was six and is now 17....There's just a minor problem with his style. We usually play Jimi Hendrix, Red Hot Chilipeppers, Beatles, Kula Shaker and so on........that's our style. But this guy wears a cowboy hat and likes country music and techno. Not to critize that type of music, but it ain't our kind of music. And I'm sure he got at least one mental illness. Anyway, my question to you is: Should we keep him or dump him........or is it just the way drummers are?

18. Well Dragen, just use his skill to make your own highly personal mix of music i say. I play mainly pop, and have a fantastic drummer but he listens to ambient and Terry Bozzio and King Crimson and stuff.. but it works out. We all love it, he is so innovative with his playing, never repetive. But that goes for all.. that repetivity thing that is. We just mix our backgrounds together to form our own special unique blend in the band.

Ok good luck all!

19. Dragon keep the drummer. Good ones are so hard to find.

20. Reg

Reg

Aug 19, 2000
    Yeah, well my drummer is awesome!!

He has been playing for about 10-11 years and is the songwriter in our band. (Dont laugh, its true)

We only have one problem with him, and that is that is is also a mean guitarist and one hell of a singer. I mean one hell of a singer and ya cant do that when ya playing drums (not well at least). We tried to find a substitute drummer but the only person we could find that could keep time (other than him) was a drum machine and that had no feel to it (surprise)

Anyway, good drummers are hard to find, if you can get one, keep them.