Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why is it so hard starting a band

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FenderBassp, Jan 16, 2005.

1. FenderBassp

FenderBassp

Nov 14, 2004
    How long did it take yall fellow band members to play your first gig?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    2 years.

3. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    It's just hard to find dedicated musicians. To some people, music is not their first priority, and those people should not be in your band, if you are serious.

A good way to meet dedicated people to play with is at shows. Good luck.

Oh and I played a gig with Westshore about a month after I joined, but they had already been a band before I joined.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Three weeks from the day we decided on a line-up to the first live show.

BTW....I'd like a seat in the front row when this thing goes for a ride to the right forum.

-Mike

5. a few days after we acquired our first drummer, we did an open mic thing. the rest of us had been playing together for some time.

W/ new drummer, we played a payng gig a few months after he joined. By that time, most of us had been playing together for a few years.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My first band, when I was a teenager, had a gig after rehearsing for 3 months.

7. My band plans to debut at our schools talent show in April.

Its the best way to get exposed as a band in my school and get your peers to come to shows. As to what songs we will play ....... That is undecided.

8. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I played for almost 10 years before I had a true 'gig'.

Playing to friends in the basement, stoned or drunk as they may be, isn't much of a gig :)

Eh, nevermind the 6 or so years I took off too...

Oh, and why is it so hard? because people suck...

Troll

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Which band?

I've had bands that took almost 2 years to get to gig #1, others got there in less than a month.

It depends on how seasoned the players are, how easy the repertoire is, how much of it is already known by the members, how serious everyone is about getting the material down, etc.

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Yep, it depends on the experience and musicianship of the members. I've opened for pro acts after only about 3 weeks of cramming to get the band and material together (songs were already written by the singer and he had demos). I've gigged with pre-existing cover bands after only two days of cramming tapes.

I get a kick when I see ads or hear people saying "we haven't gigged yet, we've only been together for two years". Heck, I can't KEEP a gigging band TOGETHER for more than two years, it seems . . .

11. 10 months from start til we played a 'Battle of the Bands' at our school. Our lead guitarist had 5 gigs before in another band so he was fine. The rest of us were scared as hell, especially as the organisers put us on first...

12. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I had two bands that failed. Then I scored a gig in my school's jazz ensemble and we had a concert three months after the beginning of the semester.

13. The band I'm in right now was only 3 weeks together until our first gig. We only had 5 songs at that point (all originals). It helped that the band started as the singer's personal project that he wanted to get more people in on so there was already a direction and some material written.

14. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I've never had a hard time starting a band.

Keeping one together? Ah, now that's the big question!

15. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

My current bands both gigged after two weeks of rehearsal. The longest any of my bands took was around six weeks. For me, if it's not happening by then, I doubt it ever will.

16. FenderBassp

FenderBassp

Nov 14, 2004
    Well the band im trying to start sat and had our first pratice friday 3 hours, the on sat for 3 1/2 sun for 4 hours then on mon 5 hours tues for 2 1/2 and we skip today ;( we planning on playing thursday then on sat and sun. But We CaN'T FiNd A SiNgEr!!!!!!! the guitarist is taking lesson from some dude that went to edison (local college) and is going to berklee next month, our dummer been taking lessons from this guy at a house of drums store and me i have been taking lessons from a guy at stores in my town. It's just too hard to shuedule

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You guys sound hardcore with all that practicing. I don't think I could practice that much.

I SuRe HOpe yOU fInD a SinGEr SooN.

-Mike

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, if he is taking lessons, hopefully he won't be dummer for long.

19. ahhelpme

ahhelpme

Aug 26, 2004
    my drummer gets lessons from the screaming jets' old drummer, hes only been playing for like nine months and hes ripping it up!

20. ahhelpme

ahhelpme

Aug 26, 2004
    Well dude u sound pretty dedicated to me, 5 days a row and a good few hours every day, just make sure everyone gets their space tho, because everyone might get sick of seeing each other (so often) and thats some bands break up. My band doesnt have a singer, and weve already done a gig at a street party ( not paid) and noone cared. You will find someone eventually, its not impossible if you keep looking.