Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why is it so hard to find a blues band!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by meridith, Jun 19, 2002.

1. meridith

meridith Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    clinton twp michigan
    the blues is my passion but i'm having such a hard time finding a blues band to play with i play electric and double bass why is it so hard!!?!

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    See if you have any local Blues or even folkmusic societies around you. They have local blues jams near me. It's a good way to hook up.

Do the open mic thing and also put out an add on www.themode.com

Good luck.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    So where is Clinton Twp? Seems to me there's blues happening in Ann Arbor or Detroit.

Sure fire method to find blues bands:

Step #1: Go to where the local blues bands play.
    Step #1A: If no local blues bands playing anywhere, RELOCATE :rolleyes:

Step #2: At set break, chat with band members. Give them your phone number and say you're looking to hook up with other blues players. Repeat as needed.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

All good ideas above. Here's some more ideas. Put an ad in the classified ads stating that you are looking to start or join a blues band. State that you play both acoustic and electric bass.

Go to your nearest musical instrument store. They often have bulletin boards on which they allow bands and musicians to post if they are searching for a musician or the reverse. See if you can post a message about your wish to be in a blues band.

Good luck. I played in a blues band for about a year and remember it with great fondness. It was a wonderful experience. I hope you can find a group as compatable as mine was.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Move south.

Blues aren't allowed north of Chicago.

6. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    come to memphis....
    anyone who says that memphis isn't a very good place for music should be shot and dragged out to dry..
    Memphis blues baby! :D

7. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Y'all might enjoy the "Texas Blues Radio" show on KNON.

You can listen to it online here (m-f, 6-8 pm CT).

8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Get a "Metro Times" newspaper and check the classifieds. Also, consider placing an ad yourself. Good bass players are hard to find. If you place an ad, your phone will probably ring off the hook...