Why is it so hard to find new maple necked Jazz basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SubEndSorcerer, Dec 7, 2004.

1. SubEndSorcerer

Nov 27, 2004
    The only ones I see at the music stores are rosewood although I have seen a few reissues with the maple, but they have block inlays. Why doesn't Fender release some with a basic maple neck and black dot inlays? Also what are some good replacement Jazz pickups for a super middy, punchy, growly tone?
  2. I'd say Kent Armstrong pickups, or DiMarzio Ultra Jazz.
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    There ARE Fender Jazz Basses with maple necks and dot inlays. It's not a matter of Fender "releasing" them, it's a matter of the stores you frequent ordering them.

4. Aye,

Perhaps your local stores find rosewood necks to be a better seller?
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You have to buy American Series, American Deluxe, Vintage RI 75 or a Sig Series to get a maple board.

Squiers, MIM Std/Dlx and Highway 1 models are all rosewood or pau ferro boards only and these are what are most common in stores.
  6. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Don't discount the DiMarzio Model J's, tho, either (not the Ultra's)!

I put a set of those in my Geddy and was amazed. In particular, I was worried about preserving the sound of the original Fender "Vintage" pickups, which I loved (but couldn't handle the single coil hum... especially in a few of the venues we play in.)

The DM J's very precisely maintained that tone while eliminating hum and keeping output strong. I have a set of active EMG's I will probably never install as a result, and I have gotten MANY compliments from sound men, audience members, and other players regarding the tone of that bass... and in particular, it's growl. The harder I play that thing, the "angrier" it gets, and the better it sounds. :)

...now if I could just learn to play it well enough...
  7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    ^^^I second the nomination of DiMarzio Model J's..... damn they're nice.
  8. I know what you mean. It seems that I never see any Maple fingerboard J basses in retail stores anymore. Same goes with Rondomusic.com - they haven't had any for a long time now and I've been GASsing for one for a while now :(
  9. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I was at my local GC on sunday and played a sweet looking trans orange MIA Jazz with a maple neck. I wanted to trade my MIA Pbass right then and there.
  10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Almost every single one at all the GCs Ive been to have Fender MIA jazz basses with maple necks and black dots. I even bought one. In fact it seems that rosewood on a new MIA Fender jazz is more rare.