Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WHY is it so HARD!! (Venting)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Mar 2, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Over the last 3 months i have put ads on websites, ads in papers, been to music shops and recording studios and rung countless bands about playing bass for them.

Before i go any futher, id like to be in a band that play punk/metal/rock etc.

I put an add on melbands.com, thats a website for people offering their skills or wanting a musician for a band. I have had a few replies, but they live on the other side of the city, or they are 25 years older than me and want to be serious and/or already play massive gigs. One of the replies lives locally. OK, thats cool. so i go along to the "audition" and we go into their room, and here is 4 guys and 8 chicks, all drunk. They said "yeah, uhh show us what you got". I couldnt even be bothered setting up. I walked out because a) they werent serious and b) they werent the kind of people i wanted to be in a band with. :spit:

Ive got emails off people that live 500KM away and still think its possible. :rolleyes:

Another scenraio (sp?) i got an email from a local group theat were the same age as me. they played emo/pop punk, and hated metal. ok, thats col, i like metal but hey thats me. I added the singer/guitarist to my MSN list, and he came on one day. I said hey, hows it going. He said Do you like metal? and i replied yes i do. He said cya and blocked me :mad: a few days later i sent him an email saying that i still want to be in a band with him and yeah. He replied saying "sorry, its metal, they whole look/sound and way of living *^#$! us, no offence to you".

:heres the advertisment i put up at melband.com:

you can check out the proper ad here
    Whats wrong?

Is there anything i did wrong? Tell me guys, how do i go about this?

Thanks
    -Phil

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    you listed sLipKnot as a influence :p

Seriously though, a lot of kids into that genre just want to rock out hardcore... or whatever the hell they do. :meh: Other than that, if I saw a guitarist list those bands as an influence, I'd want to be in a band with him.

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    moving it onto Misc...

good luck!! :)

4. Wownirvana

Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    Maybe you should just say "hard rock influences"
    When some people look at a band flyer and see a name they don't like, they automatically think you want to be in a band like Slipknot, Sabbath, etc. Also, you could say something like "I am seeking any type of hard rock band to play in" Just make your ad very non-specific, and you will probably get more calls. Also, use a search engine to find sites to post ads like www.gigfinder.com And those stupid emo kids don't deserve a bass player if they think everybody in the band has to listen to the same kind of music. In my band the drummer plays a lot of jazz (even though he listens to mostly rock music) our guitarist/singer is into grunge and hardcore (and he plays a lot of metal) and I'm into punk and ska. But we all come together and play songs that aren't jazz/metal/ska.

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yep, I would definetly take out the Slipknot bit :p

Seriously speaking, I would put it something like "I listen to different kinds of rock, from Deep Purple to Primus and Mudwayne. I'd like to play in a hard rock band but am not very specific on genre - anything from punk to metal goes."

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    be yourself in your ad, and be patient. don't settle for anything less than what you want, and don't worry if folks are so critical and judgemental, without giving you a chance. they're probably saving you some time anyway, since a band with that closed of a mind is probably not going to last very long.

7. wonderboy

wonderboy

Oct 27, 2002
    4 guys and 8 chicks? all drunk? you walked out on the greatest moment of your life right there.

8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    :D

9. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I have a better idea....instead of looking to play bass with some NORMAL band that you dont know, advert on TB, a lot of people here play guitar/drums etc. or even just get an all bass group goin, im sure someone must be in the same situation, as well as have a distortion pedal and a 6 string to play lead.........

or whatever.....thats what I'd do.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Ermmm - did anybody else spot the apparent contradiction here - so on the one hand you are dismissing groups who are serious and then you dismiss another lot of people because they weren't serious!! :meh:

I think you are asking the impossible here - if people are serious, they will be playing gigs etc. If they're not then they wil be lying around, messing about etc.

It seems you can't make up your mind which you want?

And what's wrong with playing with older people - good experience, opportunity to learn etc etc..

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  12. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Haha, I know, that's exactly the band I want to be in.

13. Yeah Bruce, I picked that too.
    KirbySubaru, what do you define as serious? Gigging is serious, playing with people of all ages is serious (one of the jazz groups I play in has an 82 yo guitarist! True!) Take heed of all the advice the other TBers have offered, they have mucho collective experience in these matters, and above all, be persistent but be patient.
    BTW; You live in Ringwood? A friend of mine has just finished 4 years as manager of Troy Music in Ringwood. Name of Roy Brown. He saw the light and moved back to New Zealand! LOL!

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I think you kind of have the right idea. One thing I'd do is eliminate the names of your influences and just cite styles you're interested in and have experience with. When you get the question of, "Do you like metal," you don't have to reply with specifics. You could just reply with something like, "I like a wide variety of music and have diverse styles." That is kind of a back-handed way of selling yourself in responding to their question, if you know what I mean.

The thing is, is you don't want to be judged by your ad, you want to be judged by your playing. Your ad and the phone interview can only get you in the door.

And, I can't stress this enough, if the ad says they hate metal, don't tell them you like metal. If they ask, just tell them that you like all music and that metal is not your number one favorite. It's not a lie, is it?;)

15. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    3 months? That's all? :( ;)

I put the bass down pretty much after my last band fell apart about five years ago, because I couldn't find a suitable project. In the last year I've decided to go back at it anyway. At the moment, 'going back at it' entails three ongoing projects, all of them involving music I don't really care for. It also means running ads on local musician referral boards for months on end with no promising response.

Hang in there, man. Nobody said this was going to be easy... ;)

16. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    OK i know the serious business wasnt want i wanted it to sound like. These guy were in the "band" for the chicks, and booze. not for the music. the other older guys were paying at huge stadiums and places like that

Anyway, never fear. i found aband that plays metallica alot. the have 8 originals, and have a smallish gig coming up in about 3 months. they dont reherse often, but when they do it lasts for a long time.

bingo :)