Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why is it so hard?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by retitled, Sep 23, 2005.

1. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    why is it so hard to sell a bass for a decent price nowadays?

im trying to sell an ibanez sr 405. guitar center will only give me $120 for it..

i really want to trade it in for a thunderbird..

i know nobody with an ebay sellers account either..

::sigh::

how do u guys sell ur unwanted gear?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Harmony Central, Bassgear.com, as well as ponying up for a TB membership. Between the three, stuff gets sold.

Also, it's an SR405. You'll be lucky to get $200. $150-175ish would be more like it. It's not really an "in demand" bass, nor do low end Ibanez' hold their value. You're not going to get it traded or an Epi T-Bird any time soon, either; those things hold their value. They go for about $300+/- on eBay regularly (this is including a hardshell case, usually). What GC offered you isn't really that much of a low ball.

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I agree with Brendan. Pony up some cash! ;)

Seriously though, Brendan's price assessment on what your likely to get looks pretty spot on to me. Save some more money then go trade it in or sell it. Good luck

4. I got $80.00 for my SR300DX from Guitar Center. I took it becuase I knew no one wanted it.

5. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    im not just selling it to make some space.. its my main bass so i jsut want to trade it for another bass i want as my main.. i have no money at all and have no source of income.. and my school scedual prevents me from getting even a part time job
    poo..

i'll just try to sell it privatly..

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Does it suck? If so, well, good luck, but if not, why do you want another bass? It's not a bad bass, as far as such things go, why do you want to move it?

7. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    its a great bass... i jsut want the thunderbird more

edit..

oh yes... i put an ad up on my public profle.. and a bass player friend of mine from school who just so happens to be int eh market for a new bass saw it and is coming over next week to try it out

for my price of $400

i offered him the hardshell case i got it in too :)

i didnt tell him i got them both off of ebay for a total of $314 lol

8. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    You aren't understanding some part of the equation, but it's been pretty well explained in this thread. Good luck fleecing your friend anyhow.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Screwing over another bassplayer, and a friend.

Good luck in life, you're gonna need it, apparently.

10. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    what am i not understanding..

i dont know what "fleecing" means but i was orignally plannong on reselling it for the profit on ebay but ebay didnt come throug.. and to my friend its still a great deal... said so himself :p

can u elaborate please... :)

im not screwing anybody over.. i need money.. and im still selling the bass for a reasonable price.. its not the best price out there but its still a nice price for a very nice bass and a hardshell case..

just because i bought it at a great price doesnt mean i have to sell it for that price..

its the same princaple as guitar center giving me $120 for a bass that is worth 3 times that ammount.. they are making profite.. why cant i? i mean if i sell it to GC im losing $180.. if i sell it to my friend.. he is saving over $100 and i am making $80 and getting a bass that i really really want... everybody wins

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, it's $350 NEW. He could get a new one AND a hardshell case from any store out there for $400, probably less. What you're doing more or less violated the fundamental price structures of "used." It's not a great deal for him, and if he thinks it is, I'd imagine it'd be your business to show him what's up, not take his money.

...in short, it makes you a jerk.

12. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    fleece
    Inflected Form(s): fleeced; fleec·ing
    1 a : to strip of money or property by fraud or extortion b : to charge excessively for goods or services

Your bass is worth $200 at best. Because the Thunderbird costs more than $200 you won't be able to simply trade one for the other like you want.

13. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    its actually $482 new... and jsut cuz its used doesnt mean its in broken down condition.. its in perfect condition... and plays like a dream.. the only thing wrong with it is it needs a new set of strings..

err the dude at GC said hed probably sell it for around $240.. or something.. and e-bay usualy has them used for a bit over $300..but i see ur point anyway..

i told my friend that teh price was at a nagotiable $400.. i am more then willing to go down.. im not a monster after all

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Huh, I googled it, and it said $349.99 at zzounds.com.

Edit- checked around the web, appears that's a fluke, and they go for $480 new these days. Weird; I guess they recently upped the line. I've got a couple of old Musican's Friend catalogues that price them at $350, as well.

In that case, $400 ain't doing him any favors, but I'd actually say, $250, max, including the hardshell.

15. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
  16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    See above. btw, I googled "Ibanez SR405" and that first one says $350, which is what I've seen them at in years past. That's where I was getting my numbers from.

17. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills

yea.. i jsut searched again after u told me.. cuz last month it was at 480.. and if it was down at 350 now id have greatly reconsidered my asking price..

but i saw what u were talking about..

is that one in ur catalog the one without the 3 band EQ?

18. Whenever people touch something, it brings it's resale value down. $200.00 is about what you should get.