Why is it that 75% of musical instrument mags' are adverts?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Feb 20, 2003.

1. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Anyone noticed how nearly all of most mags such as bass or drum magazines are adverts, from lil' ones in the corner, to double page sporeads to an 'interview with' an artist aka 'this artist uses this equipment, go buy it now!'?

The other day me n a mate lkooked through a drum magazine, and it wasnt until page 18 that we encountered a contents page :/ To add insult to injury, it then had korns bass 'player' as number 2 best in the world in one of its polls...
  2. yeah, the new issue of BP has a lot more ads than usual. nice sig, BTW.:D
  3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    whoa your sig is really big
  4. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    yeah its cool but having to page down twice just wears ya out.
  5. Yeah, like whoa, it's annoyingly big. You should use that Homer one.

I don't really read those magazines anymore, it's just a bunch of pages that'll give me real bad GAS and that's really the last thing I need. Unless there is something on the cover that really interests me, I'm not even gonna bother looking at it.
  6. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I'm sacking off the sig in a few mins just before I go to bed, sorry for any hassle :p

I just found it and thought it'd be pretty nifty, but even after resizing the text it's way too big.
  7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    ok, im removing you from my black list...

have a nice day :)
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"Double Bassist" magazine isn't like that - it has much more content than adverts - maybe that's because DBers don't have this unhealthy gear obsession and just want to get on and make music? ;)
  9. IMO, nothing can ever sound as good as an full-sized, well-made, aged DB.

I love new gear, but I want to read about content more. I don't read any bass magazines anymore - just don't have the time.
  10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    All magazines are the same way no matter what the subject.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Not true - I have years of Bass Player magazines and it is always full of adverts - but Double Bassist has far less - so few, you might not even notice them!!
  12. Because they need to make money from somewhere .
  13. Bills! Bills! Bills!

*cues hip-hop beat*

It's all about the bling-bling.
  14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I get guitar mags occasionally, too. They are really gear/gear ad-obsessed. But their market is huge. It's all about ad revenues, not a balance with "what serves the reader."

The pseudo-elitism about double bass-focused periodicals being less gear/gear ad-obsessed is more a function of the fact that little ever happens in that market in terms of "new" or the willingness to experiment with new gear rather than any legitimate sense of superior "musical purity." And that's fine - the tones produced by those ancient instruments are to die for.

Ever since "Bass Player" became part of the CMP Information Company evil empire, the gear and album reviews have really become insipid and insulting compared to BP's better days when Miller Freeman called the shots.
  15. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Let's see, you pay around $35/year for 12 issues. Do you really think that pays all the magazine's costs, and produces a profit?
  16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Or, $18 at magazinevalues.com . Not trying to "oneupsmanship" you jazz. It just shows they can handle a big discount and still make money with all the ads.
  17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

For the same reason there are so many commercials on the radio. The magazine and radio mediums are just paying for billboard space. And, for the space they don't sell, they throw in music, or music related items until they can sell that space too.