Why is it that all "pros" use an SVT head and an 8x10 ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crow01, Aug 4, 2009.

1. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    Every other rock video I watched on Tv and every other rock concert I have seen, the bassist has this rig:

- SVT head
    - 8x10 ampeg

I seldom see a guy with an acoustic or aguilar or a mesa or any other brand. It seems like once you start playing bigger gigs, if you don't have that rig, you are nobody.

I also ran into this craigslist ad, and this guy wanted a bassist that played tru that rig. That's a little bit exaggerated.

Is this some kind of world domination. Ampeg wants to take over the world in bass rigs?

Edit:
    - I meant every other not all of them
    - I meant rock, heavy metal or similar.

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Too much coffee this morning?

3. René_Julien

René_Julien Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    They are props, part of the decor. :)

How silly would a video look if the bassist had a Bergantino 1x12 cab and a Genz Benz Shuttle on top of it. The camera man would have an awful time zooming in.

4. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I wonder how many of those cabs are even being powered on stage. Maybe they're just using monitors and the 8x10 cab is for show.

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nailed it.

Yep.

And all pros DO NOT use this rig. I see many others.

6. Two things:

Not all pros use that rig. Maybe it's just the ones you watch.

Consider that Ampeg is marketing. It's called product placement. You see your favorite band and he's playing an Ampeg rig, and YOU start a thread asking why ALL THE PRO's USE AMPEG...Ampeg sells more rigs because you think all the pros use them.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Much of what you see on TV gigs is rental gear locally sourced, as is much of what you see in concerts. The standard rental rig for touring acts is the SVT. No rental company is going to stock a dozen options.

8. KPAX

KPAX Inactive

Mar 22, 2005
    Justin Chancellor (Tool) uses GK heads and Mesa cabs.
    Geddy Lee uses SansAmp preamps.
    Entwistle never used Ampeg - he used HIWATT, Sunn, Trace ...
    Jaco used Acoustic. The only time he plugged into Ampeg was when he sat in at clubs.
    JP Jones used Acoustic back in the day and SWR now.
    Flea has used GK heads and Mesa or GK cabs since the early 90's.
    Squire used Sunn and Marshall all through the 70's when he made his prog reputation. He didn't switch to Ampeg until the 80's when Yes went pop.

9. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    hes right for rock and heavy music, ampeg is just the best you can get. i wouldnt show up to a funk gig with that setup.

and it also looks cool, but anyone who has this set up can tell you how much it cranks.

10. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I've played a lot of places with this backline, and it just works. Period. Not as bright or as clear as my Aguilar setup can get, but I can always make it work. The best part is NOT having to move it afterwards.

11. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    George Porter Jr would :bassist:

SVTs sound amazing, and if you don't have to move them or maintain them then its a no brainier.

12. Why not?
    IMG_0148.jpg

13. WWBD?

What would Bootsy do?

14. Ampeg is pretty much an industry standard for backline.

However, as already stated, in some cases it's for show as well. Kind of like seeing 12 Marshall stacks across the stage. Good chance only 1 of those stacks is actually live. Better chance that NONE of those stacks are live and a small 1x12 combo is sitting behind them mic'd! lol! ;)

I was watching the US Festival from '83 on VH1 Classic the other night and Rob Halford 'broke through' 2 Marshall Stacks on his motorcycle onto the stage....obviously stage props...but they looked exactly like Marshall cabinets and were aligned along with the 6 other Marshall stacks that Priest had on stage.

With IE monitors now, who needs a huge rig onstage? Then again, how lame would it look to NOT see a wall of Marshalls and rows of Ampegs onstage, even if they are only props.

15. Plookie

Plookie

Jul 14, 2006
    Endorsing artist: SIRE Marcus Miller v7 Jazz bass, DR Strings HI-BEAM
    I'm in a city/Country (Tallinn Estonia) that's full of rockers. At one of Estonia's hot spots for musicians is "Cafè Amigo". C A has their own gear on stage from bass to lead guitar to drums gear.
    When I first started playing this club, they were using "Hartke", 4x10 cab, and I was somewhat pleased with it.

When they were thinking about changing the house bass rig, they asked my opinion on what to get, as I'm sure they asked many other bassists in this country.
    I told them a very good quality brand name 4x10 with horn cabinet, and a very good brand named 300 watt amp would do. I guess I was the only one requesting this setup. The club ended up with a HUGE A** Ampeg SVT-2PRO amp n SVT-810E cab. :confused:

As I have mentioned before in various TB threads that this cab is designed for rockers, or players in and around that field. I'm from the R&B/Funk/Gospel school, where my personal gear is an Eden Highwayman WT500 (upgraded to 600WT) amp, Accugroove Tri 210L cab.

Every time I'm in this club playing, I take the Ampeg SVT-2PRO amp away and replace it with the clubs other amp, an SWR 900, this my, TBérs helps me out quite a bit! NO ONE ELSE USES THIS SWR amp.....BUT ME! Wow, I can't believe this, I can't, I tell ya.:smug:

16. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    +1
    Of course it's not coincidence or a conspiracy either, there is a reason that the SVT is the "standard".
    They work very well in a very wide variety of applications.

17. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Not in the music stuff I see. I've never seen Nathan East, Pino Pallidino, Gary Willis, John Entwistle, Jack Bruce, nor Stanley Clarke with an SVT/8x10 rig. Come to think of it, I've never seen Victor Wooten, Carol Kaye, nor Joe Osborn with that rig either.

Hmm... And lots of time backline isn't so much about what's really good, but what works OK and is available. Often the contract rider lists first choices, but allows substitutions. So the bassist may prefer an Aguilar but he gets an SVT.

John

18. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    In a BassPlayer interview on 2006, Pino lists his gear and states that he uses SVT-VR heads with two SVT810AV's when he plays with The Who.

19. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    It's good to see some bands dropping the back line for more interesting things like big screens, chicken roasters, and so on.

20. i've heard bootsy used the fridge rig for some tracks when he did superbad, too. he never really gets too much grit from it though.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021