Why is it that all "pros" use an SVT head and an 8x10 ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crow01, Aug 4, 2009.

1. modulusman

modulusman Inactive

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Jimmy that does pretty much sums it up. for the record I don't have anything against ampeg it just doesn't work for me and my needs.:)

2. You don't want to sound or look generic? Yet you play a P-Bass? ;)

Who cares if someone plays with a pick? Different sounds, I'll go from pick, to finger style, to thumb picking to slapping. Different grooves for different tunes!

If you don't like an amp, then don't use it :p

Also, I do find it funny where people complain about the weight. Unless you are getting on quite a bit in age or have back problems. A 100lb box with handles or a 150lb box on wheels, shouldnt be a problem or any hassle to move about :rolleyes:

(and I'm not an Ampeg fanboy, just threads like this every week or so do grind a bit, play what you like, or play what you want to get paid to play with. Love my SVT, but never been too fond of the Ampeg 810's, so thats where the Marshall comes into play :D )

3. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Can I come? Can I come?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    it wouldn't be a party without bob bonner and his bevy of beautiful babes (say that 3x fast!). of course, then we'd have to disinvite modulusman because your babes only go for a guy with ampeg bass gear!

5. there are more pics of "stars touring rigs" in this thread than the "touring rigs of the stars" thread . . .

I guess complaining draws more attention:rollno:

6. Well crap - I spent all that money for nothing? GC lied to me??? My innocence is gone...

7. seamus bass

seamus bass

Oct 23, 2007
    my house
    gotta love geddy lee, i believe even on the cover to "all the worlds a stage" theres an ampeg set up in the photo

8. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    How long before Bowie, the Stones, etc start having giant 20' cans of Spam or boxes of Tide detergent (or whatever product they're hocking) as the backline.

Come to think of it, that would be true rock and roll; you know, "F" it, we're gonns let these clowns make us rich.

Ampeg SVT; the Chevy Camaro of bass amps; well known, good performance, gets the job down, accepted by all and hated by very few.

9. KEVINTHES

KEVINTHES

Dec 20, 2009
    i grew up hating ampegs as a kid, when i was 16, i saw a wall full of musicians using them in guitar center tried out whatever ampeg was there and said simply pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

but then 5 or 6 years later im stretch paying a SVT CL and have 2 SVT 115s hooked up to my kustom. i finally figured out how to use the things right and learned a bunch of stuff on equalization and stuff and the sound you get out a SVT CL is just classy and good...however half those guys HAVE to be plugging into a PA system if they're playing stadiums and whatnot because even if its a tube mounted on a 800 watt RMS cabinet, its still 300 watts and no where near capable of generating the needed sound for arenas and stuff.

but all in all its a classy sound. its warm enough to push the mids without worrying about sounding too aggressive. and its a classic. i dont blame all the famous folk using them anymore nor do i write the company off as being over hyped anymore. there are a lot of things in their catalogue that YES are being sold merely in the name but the stuff that isnt is well worth it. i dont think ill find anything that sounds nicer than the SVT im getting. if i do ill be terrified.

10. Simple, back when there wasn't much to choose from, that setup was the one that everyone knew was powerful enough for any gig, reliable, and everyone was familiar with. House support was essentially non-existent and you were responsible for getting yourself heard. It became the standard.

Then the next generation of musicians came along, and all their heroes were playing that gear. They dreamed of owning all that gear someday, and sounding like their favourite band, and so they grew up and that was still the standard because all the biggest names were using it, and they always wanted it, so they bought the same, and so-on-and-so-on.

Now there are a lot more options but once an industry standard is established it's always going to be the industry standard.

11. Whitbass

Whitbass

Jan 22, 2010
    there's no single all-inclusive answer here,
    lets start with....

endorsements
    availability
    availability
    endorsements
    marketing (endorsements)
    name
    name
    popularity for ages
    sometimes actual preference

we have to also admit that Ampeg has been around a long time, and they know what they're doing, at least in some aspects....
    over time, alot of people found that Ampeg works for them and have become somewhat universally accepted and respected....

does it get it done? yes
    is it available? yes
    is it affordable? yes?
    is it very the best, king of all times...? probably not, but some that don't know different think so...or have just followed what someone did 50 yrs ago, made it work and stuck with it.......and this has evolved into being used for backlines and other rigs since then
    some people get something to work, get accustomed to it, and see no need to change....

find what works for you personally, and go with it.....keeping in mind there's no one answer, you can get there several ways...
    nonetheless, you'll find less and less ampeg on stage in the future most likely.....why? as stuff is replaced, eventually folks realize there's a bunch of good choices out there........

now if I could just play ....:D

12. Whitbass

Whitbass

Jan 22, 2010
    one more thing.....even when its not considered to be the best; it seems it has always been considered cool by many..........so its seen on stage

13. I toured with a line of empty cabinets and a practice amp wedge on the floor.. all DI

Looked silly with baby amps.

Timmy

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    i like how you know so much about how we buy ampegs simply for the name, then add, "now if i could just play." doesn't make me question your opinion at all.

15. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    If you could play, you'd know the real reason.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021