Why is it that all "pros" use an SVT head and an 8x10 ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crow01, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    All pros? Ya mean players like Marcus Miller? And Alain Caron? And Michael Manring?

Yeah, right... :rolleyes:

MM

04apr23-awesome-fail.jpg

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Here's a picture of a pro playing a nefariously disguised SVT rig:

Anthony_Jackson.jpg

The shame, the shame!

3. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

It's sort of the industry standard, as many have said. It's the "default" bass amplifier in the same way that Fender is the "default" bass. Everything ends up getting compared to it.

But not everybody uses it.

John Entwistle used Hiwatt, Sunn, Trace Elliot and Ashdown as well as others I think, but not Ampeg.
    Lemmy, of course, has used Marshall heads and cabs for decades.
    Chris Squire, as mentioned, used Sunn and Marshall during the years Yes was rising.
    Geddy Lee now just uses a Sansamp with in ear monitors.
    Jaco used Acoustic. So did JPJ.
    Lots of people use Ashdown, including the bassists for U2, Tool, Borknagar and Megadeth
    Al Cisneros of Sleep and Om uses Matamp Green amps and cabs (two 4x15's!) when at all possible.
    Cliff Burton used Sunn and then Mesa gear.
    Grutle Kjellsen of Enslaved was using SWR when I saw them.

I myself like the SVT a lot, and while I wouldn't complain about an 810, were it provided to me, I prefer 115 +210 or 215 + 410, etc. rigs. So if I had an 810, chances are that I'd also have a 415. One of my cabs is an Ampeg, but it's a 115, and my head is a Mesa.

4. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    I was watching a TV show, "America's Best Band" or something like that, and they had a Genz Benz GBE 1200 and GB 8X10 for the different bass players to use.

I have no way of knowing if the amp was actually used or not, but it seemed all the bass players on the show had very good tone. Whoever was doing the sound mixing for the show seemed very adept with the bass as I could hear it pretty well for nearly (not all) of the different bands.

The bass tone for a couple of the players was really sweet and it would be nice to know how they got it beyond the Warwick and Lakland basses being played.

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Another bassist whose scullduggery employs evil alien reality distortion fields - technology that can even hide the awesome size of an entire wall of 810 cabs!!!:

1169243966_50a4ca5078.jpg

What is next?!? Our very freedom?!?!

6. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    Pro?

What makes you think that guy's a pro?;););)

He's not even playing a Fender!:eek:

7. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Technology that'll hide an 810?!? Are you referring to the beard, because I know he's got some spare cables/duct tape in there. Always prepared that guy is.

8. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Personally, having played thru both set-ups, I'd rather have this than the Ampeg rig, if given the choice.

Flame away.

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    And that other guy - his neck and his bridge are ALL M3ZZ3T UP - look at how crooked it is!

10. I think a lot of you are just naming the best...

What about bands like, Arctic Monkeys... The Strokes... The Enemy (at the start, they are now endorsed by hi watt) along with many more bands, all good bands decent bass players but never going to be one of the best. But they all use that set up...

But many of these bands are going to the Marshall head and 8x10. Oasis... Kasabian... Mani from the stone roses and primal scream... The Doves... again, not the best but still good players.

It's all down to what you can get for free these days!

11. 1 more thing.... IMO, the Ampeg SVT CL and 8x10 i used to love... I think it's **** now!

Orange AD200B OBC 4x10, OBC 1x14 all the way!

12. I'm sure I could give one a pretty decent beating with a sledgehammer ;) I'd pay alot of money to have that filmed and link it on here every few days when I'm feeling stressed, a really nice 70's one too.

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The same reason most pro singers use an SM58 (or BETA58). It may not be the best, but it's kind of an "industry standard". Some people may not love them, but most wouldn't be offended by them. So if you can make MOST people happy MOST of the time by only stocking one kind of backline bass rig, and one kind of vocal mic, why not do it?

14. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    tangra_stanley1.jpg
    tangra_marcus1.jpg
    tangra_victor3.jpg

15. They only use it cos it's put in front of them! Could stick a mop in front of most singers and they'd give it ago!

haha, no, i agree with you.

pretty much every studio i have ever been in has that ampeg set up!

16. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Man, even that chick who stole your Jeff Beck gig is hiding the true nature of her amplification! World domination by aliens and their lackeys I tell you!

1342259773_9d385c45d7.png

17. Here's the thing with backlines - while they might not be your favorite gear, they work. Many rental cos / US clubs have Ampeg (SVT + fridge) or GK (sometimes GK cabs, sometimes Hartke cabs). They are generally speaking reliable and roadworthy, and sound good - if you can't get a decent tone out of those amps, you aren't trying very hard.

18. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    Ya see?!!

There you go again, pulling random pictures of no-name bass players off the internet to prove some sort of point!;);)

Sheesh, at least I can recognize that middle guy's jazz bass.

Furthermore, what sort of bass player has a damned butterfly on his headstock???;);)

19. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    +1

Image a wall of unplugged amps... Do they even have speakers in them? Heck, they maybe cardboard for all we know!

20. What the heck does it matter?? I mean, I would be using Acoustic (the real ones) if they were still being built..but *sigh* - they are not. At some point, they will...I will, at that point dump my Ampeg gear and return to the fold.......

You guys have too much time on yer hands...:D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021