Why is it that all "pros" use an SVT head and an 8x10 ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crow01, Aug 4, 2009.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Yep. If you're a touring pro and you know you're going to be playing 50 or 100 dates a year with backline Ampeg rigs, you'll d**n sure be figuring out in a hurry how to get a sound out of it that you may not love, but at least can live with. I bet a lot of those veterans have their favorite SVT settings committed to memory a long time ago... they can get their sound up in less time than most of us spend tying our shoes.

2. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Just to rub it in, I've seen the following players live in recent years:

Paul McCartney - Mesa
    Mark King - Ashdown
    Nathan East - Eden
    Willie Weeks - Aguilar

Pros and then some, they would all make it to my all time top 10 list. ;)

3. Stu_Bass

Stu_Bass

Nov 24, 2006
    Pennsyltucky
    I work with a lot of acts. I will try to keep a tally from now on but as I recall I would say that Ampeg's are probably used 60-70% of the time. This is touring and rented backline by the way. I've seen some endorsers use "Brand X" props up front with (usually) Ampegs hidden behind them running hot. Next brand I see most often is Eden then SWR. After that Epifani's and other brands. BTW: Bad Co. recently had two SVTs w/8x10's onstage but the amps in use (which where stacked on top of the SVTs) were T.C. Electronics. I asked how long they had been used and was told the whole tour up to that point. Six shows toal and he was very happy with them. A lot of hip-hop and r&b guys use the Edens as well as country artists. Just the observations I've made in my little world. Most of the guitar stacks are running one or two cabinets hot with the other being props/backups. A lot of guy also keep their amp world offstage so their techs can monitor and or switch for them (guitar and bass alike)

4. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Sometimes it is a mistake to use the words, "all", "always", "never", etc. These words seldom prove to be true.

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    But in spite of the wicked plots the Ampeg-hating alienss and their spineless henchmen have to destroy freedom and goodness, there exist skilled and dedicated TURE HEROS!!! to stand up for right and might.

Yes, I give you Peter Wentz, who when not battling darkness is dating it, marrying it, or hosting it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1226495766_small.jpg

6. All bands that play here that I've seen in many years seem to get most of their gear shipped in - drums, guitar cabs- I'm not so sure about but it does seem like they get shipped in as well and also guitar amps, everything except for the bass rig which almost always ends up being a local SVT hired from a backline company, even Flea used a 810e on at least one concert in Australia. With international touring it's a very conveniant solution.

7. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Indeed. An SVT + 810 wouldn't be my first choice, but like almost everyone else, I certainly wouldn't complain about it if it was the backline provided. It sounds good, it's loud and it's simple enough to be very user friendly. It's a standard backline because it works for the vast majority of bassists.

8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Probably his Phil Jones Briefcase. :)

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Ben Shepherd!!! Peavey!!!!

[​IMG]

10. OMG teh Peavzorzzz?! Fail

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Another TRAITOR!

cream_reunion.jpg

12. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    GeddyLeeWasherDryerHighlight.jpg

Mmm, something says any old appliance will do!

[​IMG]

Grab the BBQ sauce, this rig is HAWWWT!

13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Just gotta watch more than one band and you'll see many different Rigs :D

14. Shane Carter

Shane Carter

May 21, 2007
    Detroit
    If you look very carefully at those other amps, they are all set to the "SVT" settings as shown in their operating manuals.

15. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    If I were so inclined, I could find at least 10 Ampeg player pics to every one shown playing something else.

16. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    His poor roadie.:meh::crying:

17. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    2789031928_985ea3b033.jpg

18. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    How could you not go wrong with roasted chicken?:smug:

There's a true pro.

And I just had to see that picture right before dinner.

19. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    just back from a festival (vibes) and the side stage had that rig as backline for all four days. I wouldn't complain about playing through that setup...

20. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Dsc03292.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021