Why is it that all "pros" use an SVT head and an 8x10 ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crow01, Aug 4, 2009.

1. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Another pro with Fender+Ampeg.

[​IMG]

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    And yet another pro using Ampeg:

jacoenlarge.jpg

4. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    And another one...

rhonda_smith.jpg

5. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    An...

05_ArmandClinic1.jpg

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    [​IMG]

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    [​IMG]

Sly_Robbie_002.jpg

8. eff-clef

eff-clef Supporting Member

May 6, 2007
    Baltimore,Md.
    Actually,( I know that they didn't use the SVT big rig but) Victor Wooten endorsed the BXT series along with Steve Bailey! And Carol Kay and Joe Osborn played through B 15's in the studio.

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    [​IMG]

10. Humbucked

Humbucked

Mar 17, 2009
    Australia
    As an earlier poster said, often it is simply a case that the SVT/810 is rented out by local gear companies. That rig probably gets a booking almost every night of the week.

Also, a lot of gear shops are run/owned/staffed by crusty old roadie types, and they love to see a fridge in the backline.

11. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Every one of greenboy's posts cracked me up royally! This is one of the reasons I love Talkbass so much!:cool:

And thank God the OP started this thread, otherwise we would have missed out on all of this! (By the way, this message is not being written by me....it is actually being written by aliens from the Planet Ampeg located in the subharmonic zone of the TONE constellation). Rumor has it that Jaco himself is from there and was sent to Earth just to throw all of us off. It's all part of the diabolical "world domination" plot referenced earlier.

12. eff-clef

eff-clef Supporting Member

May 6, 2007
    Baltimore,Md.
    I saw Marcus Miller with Miles Davis( along time ago) and he was using that exact rig. That was his rig until he hooked up with Steve Rabie and SWR. The fact is that on tour , on big stages, more people( mostly rock) use Ampeg gear than any other single company's gear. It also (like Fender) is what other companies compare themselves to.

13. nickyn99

nickyn99

Dec 18, 2006
    Agreed - You can get any tone out of a OLDER (70'S) SVT if you know how and it's not difficult. As far as funk?
    A 70's SVT, a 8-10 and Fender Jazz bass = greasy funk!!
    ShoNuff....
    :bassist:

14. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I would bet that everyone in those pictures has played an Ampeg at some point.

15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Reading through this thread, I can be persuaded that an Ampeg rig solves a number of problems for providing a touring pro with a backline amp. It is doubtlessly functional, is a "known quantity," can be repaired in the field, and is capable of surviving the rigors of touring. For these reasons, I would have no problem specifying one on a "rider," as I am pretty sure that I could dial in a good tone with it. But I would not have to own or transport one.

In reality, none of those problems affect me. I'm not a touring pro. I have never plugged into a backline. I have rarely signed a contract, and never with a "rider." I transport my own gear to relatively tame venues. My own gear is a known quantity to me.

I don't even aspire to doing any of those things.

Therefore, knowing how many pro's use Ampeg rigs is as useful to me as knowing what brand of gaffer's tape they use. I have never gaffed anything.

16. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Oh man, you're missing out.

17. gregmerrill

gregmerrill

Jul 27, 2009
    I love this rig. I do not have one but I see them a lot on backlines. I would hate to carry it around. I have Aguilar 4-10 and does not compete with the Ampeg on a big stage. But if I had 8-10 aguilar that might work as well or better.

18. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I never mind using one as a furnished back-line (as long as I don't have to heave it!)

19. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    "Why is it that all "pros" use an SVT head and an 8x10 ampeg?"

Mabe because it is a great sounding rig?

20. they sound nice.
    but also, it's provided backline often.
    i was at soundwave this year, a big australian outdoor music concert day thingy,
    and each stage had an ampeg rig of this type on it.
    either a blue face or the big ol' black monoliths.
    some bassists chose to substitute the head for thier own and ONE guy i saw using a full GK rig, but i gather a lot of international acts don't want to have to lug thier rigs overseas all the time.

it's a standard of modern rock music.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021