Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why is it that right after you buy a bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slater, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    ...You find another bass that you would really like to buy?

I just purchased a Reverend Rumblefish XL (eBay), which I am really liking.

Today, I go to a local music store to buy some strings for my new 'Fish, and what do I see hanging in the Basses section? (I really shouldn't have gone over and looked). A used, like new condition, Reverend Brad Houser 5-string with a swirl top and (old style) exposed pole-piece pickups (which I prefer the look of) for $599.

If I hadn't just purchased the XL (limited $), I'd be the new owner of that Brad Houser right now! (Of course, if I didn't get the XL, I wouldn't have gone to the music store to buy strings and get a chance to find the BH).

Anyway, I just thought I'd post to vent a little, and share the way life likes to mess with me. :D

If that Houser is still there after X-mas (Yeah, right! :rolleyes: ), it's mine!

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea that happened to me. I bought my Hohner and then got an opportunity to buy a nice Ibanez SRX700 but idk which one i woulda liked to choose anyway, being as i dont really like Ibanez's.

3. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah, i bought the bass I've always wanted, Thumb 5 neckthrough, and I immediately decided I want a Music Man, of course I have to pay this one off first.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I traded a spector ns2000 for an american jazz dlx and haven't looked back. I really love the thing. I would really love to get a reverend bass, or a stingray, or something of the sort, but the credit card company wants their money back sometime soon. :bawl:

5. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I just bought a Roscoe and even before leaving the shop i wanted about 3 other basses that were there. I love the Roscoe but i always want more.
    I dont think i could ever be happy with just one bass. I could live with just one but i would never be happy.

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Fate? Kizmit?

I dunno, but it always happens.

7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I too ususally drag out bass purchases to make sure I get exactly what I want.

And sometimes what you searched all over for turns up at a better price, used or you name it. Now that's life messing with you.

I can't complain, though. I just got the Fodera Monarch of my dreams. I could never have spec'ed a bass more perfect for me if I'd ordered it directly from Vinnie and Joey.

8. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Don't get me wrong. I don't have any regrets. :)

I play a 4-string much more than a 5-string, so if I had to choose between the 4-string XL and the Brad Houser 5-string, I would choose the XL. So, I have my first choice :D .

It's just that used Reverends are hard to find right now. I know 'cause it took me about a month to find my used XL. So, finding two and only being able to afford one seems like the universe is teasing me just a bit. As I left the store, I almost expected Nelson (from The Simpsons) to be standing in the parking lot to say "Ha Ha!"

Anyway, the moment has passed, and I'm going to appreciate what I have, and not worry about what I don't have.

I guess this is just another case of GAS vs. CA$H :D .

9. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey, slater, where in MN are you?

10. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Way to the East, all the way into Michigan :D .

MI (Michigan) = "The Great Lakes State".

MN (Minnesota) = "The Land of 10,000 Lakes".

(I'm assuming you were referring to the location in my sig.)

11. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    The funny ting about this exchange is that there is a community in Michigan named Romeo located right next to a community named Armada

Romeo / Armada (Armada is just Northeast of Romeo)

12. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    haha dude thats awesome!