Why is it that singers do not own any PA equipment?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aussie Player, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    When singers audition, they never have any PA equipment, not even a couple of monitors and a small amp to audition on? They seem to rely on the band to carry them both for the equipment and then provide all the roadying to and from the venues. Separate issue but same flavour...........

They also come late more than any other member to rehearsals. Its hard enough finding someone that can sing in tune let alone equally contribute with their equipment needs.

No band would take a drummer seriously if he didn't have a kit or a guitar bassist without any amps? So why do singers get away with it?

kobass, Outshined91, bdplaid and 28 others like this.
  2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Real ones do

3. I’m just happy if they show up!

kobass, tinoandrijic, Gyver and 14 others like this.
  4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    In the last pop rock band I was in years ago I owned the PA. I finally got tired of dealing with that (the singer did have his own mic, to his credit :laugh:) and sold it, making him have to deal with that scenario. :smug: Ima just the bass player, so I didn't really care. :woot:

kobass, Outshined91, Koog and 17 others like this.
  5. Mushroo

Mushroo Guest

Apr 2, 2007
    Bandleader provides the PA.

If the singer isn't the bandleader, then it isn't their responsibility.

6. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    What about bands that are a real group effort (no bandleader per se)?

I'd love to be in a band where my gear (good quality stuff, of course) is provided to me.

dBChad, Element Zero, Loring and 8 others like this.
  7. Johnny Shultz

Johnny Shultz

Jan 10, 2022
    Cuz they are primadonnas Lol. At least ours is.

8. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    This I cannot agree with, though I welcome your opinion.
    The lead vocal is as primary an ingredient as any other band participant, so why should he be carried and why should equipment be carried so he can waltz in and get the same pay as the guys who worked their butts off for additional hours to load it up, transport it, unload it, get it ready and then pack it up and take it home then unpack it?

Loring, eric_B, Stock and 14 others like this.
  9. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    denver
    Last two bands, singers had PA. Amazing!

10. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

It does seem like it would make sense, and even out the investment in gear. And I'm lucky in my current groups; the "brothers" in the Blues Bros tribute provide PA, and in Mugshot Monday our singer does bring her own microphone and monitor though not full PA. In my experience the more professional singers I've played with do have their own favorite mic they'll often bring with them.

I think that often, though, in the more amateur/weekend-warrior bands, gear is just not on the singer's radar. They learned to do what they do without having bought any gear to do it, whereas no one ever learned to play bass without buying a bass. If they came up through a school or church choir the school or the church always provided that stuff and it never occurred to them to buy their own. And the band accepts that because it's really the front person who makes or breaks the band, so if you have a talented singer with charisma no one's going to fire them because they don't own their own microphone.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  11. 4SG

4SG

Mar 6, 2014
    I might be missing the point of this post, but why would a singer bring a PA to an audition? Wouldn't he or she be auditioning at the band's rehearsal space, which is where the PA would be located?

I don't think there are hard, fast rules about who should supply the PA for a band. I'm not the BL of either of my bands but I provide the PA for both because we all rehearse at my house. Neither band plays a lot of venues where a PA isn't provided but, when the occasion arises, we use mine. Mics, stands, monitors, cables, mixer--everything. I don't think twice about it since everyone shares the load in/out duties.

12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It take a special kind of personality and talent to show up on a stage with nothing but your personality and voice to entertain a live audience. Seriously, not everyone can do it.

Quite often, those special skills and attributes come with a downside. In my view, it's more being "unaware" than it is an ego thing. They just don't realize that everyone has contributed hundreds (to thousands) of dollars worth of equipment to the jam room or stage. They just don't think about it.

That said, there are three singers in our band (of which I am one). I own the lights. The key/singer owns our mixer (digital Midas). And our female singer owns the mains/speakers. Out guitarist and drummer just show up with a guitar/amp and drums. So, in our case, the singers provide MORE gear than the non-vocalists.

13. Mushroo

Mushroo Guest

Apr 2, 2007
    Personally? I wouldn't want to use my own personal PA for a band where I'm not the band leader. If it's truly a "group effort" then buy the PA from the pooled band funds.

(The exception would be, I know there are quite a few TB'ers who rent their own PA's to their own bands. i.e. they get paid a bit extra from the gig money, for the added role of being PA provider.)

Ethereal Thorn, Mili and HolmeBass like this.
  14. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug

I believe it's one of the requirements for being a frontmanperson. They need to be up there being adored. It's part of their psyche. As bassists, that thought process is often alien to us.

15. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player

Jun 12, 2008
  16. Gregc57

Gregc57 Supporting Member

May 28, 2021
    Long Island, NY, USA
    My female singer owned a LOT of our PA. A couple vocal mics, cabinets, our mixing board, mains amp.

17. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    My band is like this, and our PA equipment (just like everything else we share) was purchased through a combination of using band revenues when available and the bandmembers pitching in when the band doesn't have funds.

Most originals bands I have been in devote at least a portion of revenues from gigs, merch, etc. to band expenses, of which PA equipment can be one.

Jeff Scott likes this.
  18. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    In the first incarnation of said band we had three lead singers (keyboardist, riddum guitarist, and drummer). The keyboardist/singer owned the PA gear from previous bands he'd been in so we didn't even have to worry about putting together a PA system - until he quit the band which sort of left the rest of us floundering for a few minutes. No one else in the band really wanted to pitch in so I went ahead and bought the PA (A&H PA12 in SKB pop-up mixer case, QSC K10s and Ultimate stands, plus attendant cabling). When we found a new singer/front person, he thought it was the greatest thing that he didn't have to help out in the PA department, and he was, by far, the one most able, financially, to contribute. He never ever even bothered to help with set-up, tear-down, maintenance costs, etc. That sucked.

19. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Most established bands will already have access to PA equipment. Bands can't function without it. If I'm auditioning as a singer and a band doesn't already have some way to provide that I will question their professionalism and readiness to gig.

That said, I own PA, I own mics, and I own monitors. Most real singers I work with own their own mics and stands, and some have powered monitors they use for PA when needed. That's generally all they will ever need.

A PA is used for all vocalists and instrumental reinforcement or in many cases these days for all instruments; it hasn't ever been the sole responsibility of any singer in any band I've been in, nor has it ever been expected to be, because it's equipment the entire band relies on.

SoCal80s, Dominic D, gln1955 and 3 others like this.
  20. BL: I had my PA when I started the band, my guitarist had one and my keyboard player had one
    non of our lead vocalist 3 total supplied anything but a mic of their choice if they did not want to use the one I was supplying. I found in my past experience that the singers out of most of the people I worked with were the first to throw a hissy fit and take their ball and go home, so I knew early on I wasn't going to let another person derail what I had started.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022