Why is it that the most productive rehearsals/practices are those without drummers?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Apr 30, 2005.

1. In five hours we wrote and completed 2 originals and a 9-minute re-arrangement of 'Seek Up' by the Dave Matthews Band for piano, bass and guitar. It seems like with a dummer we'd have one song done at most. They are also the most difficult to get to show up.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    For one, you can hear the vocals and instruments much more clearly.
  3. Because there are no drummers present. :D :D

Everything gets easier when there isn't someone who sounds like they are "building a shed" in the rehearsal space.
  4. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I have wondered about this many times myself. I have worked with only 1 drummer that did not make all aspects of the band bxperience more difficult. I genuinely liked most of them, but they were ALL (sans 1) pains in the ass.

*Allways late
    *Usually HEAVY drinkers. (I have no problem with drinking but let's not start rehersal by chugging 3 beers in 20 minutes and then finish another off every other song.)
    *Poor at compromising with other Band Members

I wonder if there is something that drumming does to your mind that effects you social interaction.
  5. Gamorrah-Bass

Apr 5, 2005
    I'm lucky to work with a very open-minded, non-alcoholic drummer. Practice goes alot smoother with him there. Our singer on the other hand...is the pain in the ass in our band.
  6. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    This can be/should be/probably is an entire thread in it's own right!

7. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Because you can actually understand each other while talking, you don't have to yell over some nutter bashing his drum all the time. Plus, I find standing next to a drum for a couple of hours very exhaustive.
  8. nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    my drummer is the generally the opposite of all of your guys. hes the been there since the beginning and is never a problem at practices. im generally the band leader and he never disrupts the practice or plays between songs. if anything he talks too little and should give us more input on what we do. but we dont bitch cause hes the best musician of us all and we practice at his house.

on the other hand, unless were strictly songwriting, i think its easier with me, a drummer, and a guitarist. we dont have a singer, but we have 3 guitarists, and unless we have a song really down, it can get kinda cluster f*cked sounding. when 3 guitarists are improvising with distortion on, its not a pretty sound :scowl: .
  9. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Never plays during songs? Many people's idea of the perfect drummer, I'm sure...
  10. nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    lol, i think one thing, and type another
  11. I would have to say that it depends on the drummer.

If the drummer is only a drummer and has no other musical skills then it is a difficult road to hoe.

I have worked with drummers that were more like lead guitarists on the skins. They only wanted to hear themselves and all of their drums.

My drummer, Eric, is great. He can play guitar, mandolin, saxophone, etc. He is also a marketing guru and is very secure in what his skills and abilities are. He is more focused on the groove than on his personal glory.

We go by the phrase..."no groove, no food."
  12. I would just say its as simple as the fact that all the drum really is is icing on the cake. That is not to say that the drummer isn't an important part of keeping a band together or creating dynamic, but it is because the song is not made off of what the drummer does, but vice versa.
  13. I disagree totally. IMO the drummer is the one who holds the songs together. Me and my drummer are awsome mates and we mesh so well, we write most of our songs!
  14. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    It's just as easy for a drummer to be unprofessional as it is for any other musician, and bass players are definitely not exempt from this. It has nothing to do with the instrument itself.
  15. I think personality is linked to instrument choice, personally.
  16. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I respectfully disagree. Some people don't "chose" their instrument, for one thing. Also, some people take their second or third choice out of necessity or lack of funds.

I had been very impressed by my friend who played guitar when I was 15/16 and I decided I wanted to get one too, but when I went to buy one, I stopped and said "Everyone plays guitar, I'm gonna be different and play bass." So, bass was more or less my second choice. I've become a decent guitar as well since then, and I'm also competent on drums and other percussion instruments, keyboards/synths, melodica, and I play a little banjo. I also have been a lead vocalist from time to time. So I don't think your choice in instruments is directly related to your personality. I probably would've skipped strings altogether and bought a set of drums if they hadn't been out of my price range.

In addition, some people are given an instrument as a gift or inherit one from a relative. These people sometimes play what they have just because... well... that's what they have. There's not always a conscious choice involved.

I do think, though, that SOME people choose an instrument in the way that you're saying... like some people say to themselves "I love to hit things and make a bunch of noise, so I'd like to be a drummer" and others might say "I wanna be out in the spotlight so I'm gonna get a guitar" or whatever.

I'm not disagreeing with you completely, just saying that it's not always the case. :)

Oh, and about drummers... I concur. I've never played with a drummer who was both talented AND dependable/responsible...

17. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    puarija...i must tell you i know two drummers who are talented and responsible, but one's in boston, and the other is busy... :p
    it's tough to find one here in my little corner of the midwest who's available. :scowl:
    the one we are using now is our official understudy. we're teaching him how to play jazz, since he's never done it, but we're also on the lookout for a gig ready one. (he knows that, and he's cool with it.)
    we can get a bit of work done with him on songs that need arranging, but for stuff that is more 'out', no way. we got a lot done after he left last night, just geet and me. we even sounded tighter, not having to wonder what the drummer was gonna do.
    a pity...the guy is a very nice guy, and he has potential to be a decent jazz drummer, but mebbe not immediately.
  18. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

most of our practice sessions are without the drummer , for the very reason Munji speaks of ...
    we usually make a copy of each song and give it to the drummer to learn at home . saves us time , and headaches ...
    then we really only need to get together as a band once every week or so ...

don't get me wrong , i would love to have the drummer at every practice , but it just seems like we do get more acomplished without him being there ...
  19. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i find when writing, its best for me and my guitar player to get together by ourselves and put some things together and then have a drummer check it out.

last night, we worked ona part for 3 hours with a full band. the two guitar players left. i strapped on a guitar, and me and my drummer worked it out in ten minutes. so
  20. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    I always find it a challenge to play without a drummer. Period. Without the drums something is missing and I tend to overembellish a bit to compensate. The more notes I play, on the fly, the more mistakes I tend to make!

I play my best when alongside a competent drummer.