Why is it that.....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by JWC, Feb 7, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    If you let a guitarist hold your bass he will immieditaly, without fail, start slapping it?

2. Lance Jaegan

Lance Jaegan

Dec 23, 2000
    It has its roots in the fact that the electric guitar and bass are phallic symbols. When he has the guitar, he is inadequately sized, and makes up for it with distortion. When he receives a bass, he must slap it, for the joy of the size of it. Or guitarists are just dorks who don't know how to play bass any other way.
  3. Basser_Instinct

Feb 2, 2001
    try handing a bass to a drummer... they immediatly drop it
  4. Actually, the guitarists in my band LOVE bass. One of them even bought a bass of his own!
    Anyway, the guitarist with his own bass is actually a better musican than me, I think. Whenever I let him play my bass, he always comes up with some kinda solo on the spot.
    Then again, I try to argue against my own thought that he's better than me with "Well, he can solo, so he's better on guitar. I'm more of a groove-setter than a solo-maker. I'm more suited for bass."
  5. the drummer i play with allways picks it up and plays the main riff from "yours is no discrace" by yes, still trying to find out it there is a hidden meaning to that, and the guitar player trys to solo on it.
  6. my drummer is dumb and hits my bass with his sticks, dumb ass. hahahahaha hes also my best friend and will abuse me if he reads this cause hes just a big oaf
  7. whenever my guitarists try on my bass, they play with their thumb. not slapping though, but plucking, a la brian wilson. it's funny. i'm like "give that back, you moron."
  8. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I also notice guitarists using their thumb, Brian Wilson style as well. Stupids. They also never play any kind of rythm or groove, or even the bassline of another song. All they do is try to play lead guitar parts on it or slap it. Stupids.
  9. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Our drummer also enjoys picking up my bass, and doing what he calls his "Britney Spears" for some unknown reason - basically, he tries to rip my E-string off the neck! I usually take advantage by nipping behind the kit while his guard is down and doing my Keith Moon drum solo - revenge is sweet!

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! (Imagine evil laugh.)
  10. kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    The guitarist in my band hates slap with a capital "H", so imagine my surprise when I walked in on him at our rehearsal room to catch him at it. He looked like a little boy caught w****** in his bedroom by his parents!!
  11. the guitarist in my band is the 9th out of 10 kids whom of which are all musicians. that includes guitars, bass, and drums. so hes not stupid when he plays on my bass. he actually knows what hes doing. so i dont have to worry about letting him play on bass. but since he's left handed and im right handed, he usually cant play on it too well.
  12. The guitarists in my old band would always play guitar riffs on my bass.Most guitfiddlers aren't very concerned with grooving.They are notorious for lacking rhythm.That's why their NOT bassists!!!!
  13. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You know Willie, I just realized that the several years that I was your drummer, I never once asked to check out your bass or Reggie's guitar.

Having been a drummer in many bands, I learned that each instrument is sacred to it's owner. I hated when anyone got behind my drums, no matter if they were a good drummer or not. They were mine. My pride and joy so to speak.

I'm still kinda of weird about letting my guitarist, also my best friend, play my bass. But when he does, he plays it like a bass, not trying to wank all over it.
  14. Hey Acacia!!! I wasn't ragging on Reg.B. I wasn't slamming my other bands either.I noticed that guitarists seem to instantly play riffs/leads as soon as they would pick up a bass.It's peculiar,Reg plays bass now and he understands the importance of the bassists role.I'm sure you do to.BTW, you were always respectful of my gear when we were in I AM I,pretty much,all the band members were.It's just that I've heard guits try to play bass and it's quite annoying when they treat it like(GASP) a guitar.
    However the statement I made about guitarists lacking rhythm holds true.When I went in the studio with Reg and Joe,they had some trouble locking up with the drums.Reg wasn't too bad,but Joe never had a good drummer in most of his bands.You were definitely easy to play with(blame it on disco and Charlie Watts).
    I'm not refuting what you've said,I just want to make some things clear.
  15. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I knew what you meant. ;)
  16. Yeah, my friend has no rythem at all, although he is a great guitarist. It takes days to teach him to play a riff with the right tempo. It took him seriously a week to learn black dog, it took me a minute.

Oh, and he slaps like no one else on my bass, i mean, he rarely hits the strings, and usually attempts higher ground. Quite pathetic.
  17. Yep it sucks!
    Groove not some other crap is what I say!
  18. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Stupids is as stupids does, innit?;)

Will C.:cool:
  19. Gel

Mar 26, 2000
    Tauranga, New-Zeland
    Right.......am I the only one who is confused here?