why is my amp quiet sometimes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Sep 21, 2001.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Sometimes when I first plug in and turn on my amp seems to be about 5-25% volume - I turn it off, turn it on let it sit - but nothing seems to help, so I get frustrated and turn my bass way up and really pop some notes and sometimes that will get it to kind of rattle and fuzz and then come up to full normal volume...then all is fine - other times I can't get the bass to play loud no matter what I do, so I turn on the drum machine annd crank that up...same effect - rattle, fuzz, gets loud (normal) and is fine, then I can play...does this make sense, what could it be?
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    What kind of amp is it?

Some SS power amps take longer for the capacitors to charge up than others. Could it be that it happens when you first turn it on after sitting for a while? Has it ever happened after playing for a while? Have you ever had it working properly, turn it off, turn it right back on and it happen?

If it is all tube, you should power it up on standby for at least a couple of minutes before you try to play through it.
  3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    That usually only happens when it's been sitting awhile, but not necesarily. It has happened when it worked fine all day, got turned off then turned on again after about 15 minutes. It only happens when it's first turned on, once it is working it will work fine. It is a Peavy TKO 115 (Shefield speaker)
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It seems to me unlikely that popping the bass or driving a drum machine through it is "shaking loose" the amp. I wouldn't recommend doing that.

It is most likely a power supply/capacitor problem. Does it happen no matter what plug you are plugged into? If it only happens in one outlet, try it on an outlet on another circuit. You might be getting dirty power. IF it happens everywhere, there's not a lot that can be done short of having a tech look at it.

5. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Creepy, get a spray can of control cleaner and clean all the pots and the input jack.(Radio Shack)

I have the same amp and had the same problem.

When it is acting up, try moving the knobs on all of the controls. If you turn one and the sound pops in, that's probably the one that's causing the problem.

6. Bad connection somewhere. Can be fixed by a knowledgeable electronics tech, although it will be hard to find since it is intermittent.