Why is my B String quieter than the other strings?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ryan OD, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Ryan OD

Ryan OD

Nov 3, 2003
    Northern VA
    There is a volume drop in my B string. All the others sound even.

With the balance rolled all the way to the neck pickup it's more noticable, but with the balance rolled all the way to the bridge pickup, it's almost even w/ the other strings.

I checked the string height above the neck pup, and the B is actually a tiny bit closer to the pup, then the E is.

The bass is...
    Warmoth Gecko
    Bubinga Body
    Wenge Neck & Fingerboard
    Seymour Duncan Active Jazz Pickups and Tone Circuit
    Kahler Bridge

Problem is the same regardless of amp setup.

Strings are only about 3 weeks old.

Any ideas what else I should check?

2. {OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    Maybe its a dead string or the string is too close to the pup?

Could be related to the EQ settings you are using as well...

*shrugs* Im no tech.
  3. Good call. The string could be a dud. Also, if the string is too close to the pickup, the magnetic force of the pickup could suck the life from the B string vibration.
  4. bwbass

May 6, 2002
    This is a duplicate post to one on another forum, so I'll respond here as well...

Try swapping your B and E strings, so it's tuned EBADG, and see if the effect is still there. It's possible the large excursion (movement) of the b string is moving outside the sensing area of the pickup a bit. This would be consistent with it being worse on the neck pickup.

What pickup models are they, specifically?

:edit: And which Gecko 5 model is this, Small, Medium, or Wide?
  5. Sounds to me like the speakers you've played your bass through won't handle the low B very efficiently. A lot of them don't. Try equalising at your amp to boost around 31 htz.
  6. WayneP

Oct 11, 2004
    Katy, Texas
    I had the same problem with my Steinberger XP-4, only it was the G string. It also had Seymour Duncans, if I recall.
    The problem was the pickup – when I removed the pickup flipped it 180, the E string became the weak one. I noticed that when I touched a screwdriver to the pick up, the magnetism was stronger on one side than the other.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt
  7. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Try to make the distance string/pickup a little higher. The string can vibrate better now and the volume loss can be a lot less, although it sounds contradicitively, it can work out very well.
  8. Ryan OD

Ryan OD

Nov 3, 2003
    Northern VA
    Thanks everyone for the helpful responses...

Gecko Small w/ Basslines AJB-5 pickups. I have the kahler bridge set with pretty tight spacing, I don't think the string is going outside the sensing area of the pickup. I think {OE} was right about the pup being too close to the string. As I lowered the pup, it started to improve (unfortunately, the cheap screws provided by SD stripped before I got the pups where I wanted them). Can't seem to find replacements anywhere, either! :mad:

The Bassmaniac,
    As it says in my first post, problem is the same regardless of setup. I've played the bass straight into headphones, straight into a DI box into the house PA at a gig, and a few different amps/stacks.

I tried testing the magnetism with a screwdriver and it seemed even across the pickup. If the problem isn't 100% fixed once I get replacement screws to lower the pups a little more, this may be something I should look into further. Thanks!