Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why is my CPU spiking?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Everytime I run MSN Messenger, my CPU will spike and cause MSN to freeze for a second. It happens every 10 seconds or so. It seems that a SVCHOST.EXE program is gobbling up CPU time.

I checked the internet and I have an idea why it's doing that. Why is it only affect MSN? And why is it taking up so much processing time? I have an Athlon 1600XP and 512MB of RAM so it's not like I don't have processing capacity.

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've never heard about that program, but could it possibly be spyware?

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Because MSN was written by Micro$oft.

4. Run the most recent version of Adaware. Spyware could be clogging up your memory. It may be trying to "break free", but it's probably blocked be the firewall. It will keep trying.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Try updating (version 4.7)

6. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    there is a version 6 now too, if you dont have windoze xp uninstall what you have and clean install v.6 if you do, just install v.6, that might work

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Check your processes in Task Manager. Look for SVCHOST.EXE and svchost.exe. The one in lower case is the Windows version, and should be running. The one in CAPs is caused by spyware, and probably has multiple copies running. It is hard to get rid of, because windows will not let you kill the thread, since it has the same name as a legitimate system process.

The way that I got rid of it was to start the machine in safe mode, and delete the SVCHOST.EXE from my machine. I can't remember where it was. Do a search on google.

8. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    It´s in:
    C:\winnt\system32\wins or
    C:\windows\system32\wins

Those directories should be empty.

If you have svchost.dll or dllhost.dll there then you have a virus. (sobig and/or blaster)

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Did it just score a touchdown?

10. Ran Ad-aware without any problems. Checked those directories too and it's empty. My McAfee VirusScan is up-to-date. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to live with it. Fortunately, it only affects MSN Messenger. Thanks everyone.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    this is also a great utility for removing spyware. It's called Spybot: Search and Destroy. Sounds cool, deoesn't it. Works awesome!!!