Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

why is my DiscomBOBulator screaming at me? is it my Loooper?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ModulusAcacia, Oct 6, 2005.

1. ModulusAcacia

ModulusAcacia Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 22, 2000
    Middletown/Cincy, OH WHO-DEY!
    owner: J. Kennedy Guitar Repair, Guitar tech for Walk the Moon
    OK folks, I'm in a quandry here... So I just got my new Loooper pedal from fellwo TBer Sean Mcgrath and I love it for what I want my pedal board to do, but there's a bit of a problem... The Discombobulator feeds back like a mofo when engaged. I'm using monster conectors, i tried other cables to make sure the cables aren't bad and the same reaction. is it b/c i'm doing it rather close to my amp? i remember it doing it to me a while back but haven't had problems with it in a while. any ideas? also, when using the Loooper when i kick the distortion on my BassBalls on it starts making a machine gun type sound. this happens when the switch for series/paralell between the loops is in either position. I'm at a loss! I'm so close to having the set up I've been trying to put together for two years now done and all hells breaking loose on this thing. any ideas would help me greatly, until then I cry myself to sleep :bawl:

2. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

I don't know if this helps you, but here's the one problem that I've found with the EMMA pedal:

I have mine set up in an effects loop with the Boss Line Selector pedal. Whenever I engage my EMMA pedal, the signal drops considerably. I believe it has to do with the pedal changing my bass signal so that it phases with the original signal.

Could the EMMA flipping your signal around 180 cause those problems?

3. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    It sounds like you might have a power supply issue. You don't say how you are powering the pedals, or if the looper has power, but that is my initial thought on your problem. I use the same EMMA pedal and that problem rings a bell. I'm powering my entire board with an all-in-one adapter and so far, so good. But I also keep a few wall warts on hand in case any of my pedals get fussy.

4. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    You should try removing your pedals from the loooper and then testing them, one at a time. Try different combinations of them as well.

5. ModulusAcacia

Mar 22, 2000
    i'm using my Pedal Power 2 for powering both the Emma and my loooper. My understanding though is that the loooper only has power for the LED's, but I may be wrong. I've got a 9-volt in the emma as a back up, do you think pulling it out may help and just using the PP2?

6. ModulusAcacia

Mar 22, 2000
    just curious, if that is the problem, is the only way to fix it take it out of the looper and run it like a normal pedal in the signal path? I'm amp/pedal retarded so bear with me. :help:

7. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I'd try it all. First, just unplug the loooper and see if that changes anything. I have a homebrew bypass pedal that actually draws a lot of current. I have it sitting on the bench waiting to be rewired, because I think it is a wiring problem, but that caused some headaches in my setup. You can try pulling th battery, it might be causing a problem. The battery usually bypasses when the adapter is being used but EMMA has very limited documentation so who knows...

There is no reason for the pedal to be feeding back because of the connection, and I don't know about any kind of phase issues either. If you were running something in parallel and it was reversing the incoming phase you could have a cancellation issue, but not feedback.

And then there are the dumb questions: Does it do it if you just plug the bass directly into it? Are you going in the input and out the output? etc...

8. Why are you surprised when discombobulation results when you're using a discombobulator?

Randy