Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why is my fretless "buzzing"?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BrentSimons, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Hey Guys,
    I pulled my old Ibanez fretless out the other day and noticed a "buzzing" on the G string at the 12th "fret" position. I have Rotosound Swing Bass strings on it and it the fretboard has been treated with polyurethane.What do you think? Not enough relief? The same buzzing occurs on the other strings at higher regsters. Thanks for any advice...
    Brent :)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sounds like too much relief actually.

3. I Agree!

4. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    g&l l2000 fretless...very good basses.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You just posted that in a different fretless thread. Its not even releveant here.

6. The neck looks almost flat when I sight down it.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Fingerboard may need to be planed.

8. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Perhaps you have a raisng tongue? That happens on instruments that sit around!

Chad

9. munkyboy

munkyboy

Feb 1, 2004
    Before you go any further, you need to figure out if the buzzing is between the nut and your finger or the bridge and your finger. If it's between the nut and your finger, you probably need a little more relief.

10. It's the between the bridge and my finger.

11. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    I am gonna disagree with the trend here and say...... Do not diagnose whether your relief is correct or not by the existence of a problem such as buzzing. Instead, measure your relief (by holding at 1st fret position and near the end of the neck and measuring in the middle) I like the thickness of a business card.then adjust if necessary If after that you have a buzz, raise the saddles and/or check for wear on the fingerboard
    Jeff

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It really is worth looking into the "raising tongue" issue someone pointed out before. Even if the relief looks right by pressing down a string at both ends, there may still be an irregularity near one of the ends.

13. Thanks for all of the advice fellas! It's always something isn't it?
    Brent

14. ummm...he just said that it was coated...planing is not really a first, second, or even third option....

check the relief...if it looks ok...then go for raising the saddle slightly until it goes away...

we're talking a G-string here, it's amazing how little you have to raise the action to get that problem to go away...you'll hardly notice it...

((***waiting for the mods to move this one to "setup" ***))

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This one deserves another go round in Setup. I agree with several others that this is definitely some kind of setup issue. Moved.