Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why is my iAmp's overload light coming on?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ole Jason, Feb 5, 2005.

1. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Whenever I turn the level knob to about 1.5 I hear a scratching noise like a dirty pot and the overload light comes on and I get no sound. The overload light will stay on as long as the level knob is at 1.5 or above, if I move it below 1.5 it goes off. It does this whether I have a bass plugged in or not, I've also tried different wall outlets. Any idea what it could be?

The amp shop doesn't open until monday so I'm hoping it's something that can be easily fixed.

2. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Email Gary @ EA. Don't just take it to the local shop - Gary will tell you exactly what you need to do, and they have a dynamite warranty and in my experience, take great care of their customers. You can find his email at www.euphonicaudio.com

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I agree, always talk to Gary first.

I assume you mean the effects level. Do you have something plugged into the effects send and return? If you don't then just leave the level at 0 as a work around. If you do, unplug them and try using a normal guitar cable to run from send to return. Does the problem still happen?

4. ole Jason

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I'm talking about the main level knob, I'm assuming it's pre gain? I don't think it's anything in my chain because if I plug the amp in with no bass and no cabs and turn the level up the overload light still comes on. I'm going to email Gary right now, thanks for the help guys. And thanks to Mike Dimin as well

5. ole Jason

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    EA's customer service comes through again. Not only did Gary offer to help my local tech with parts but he offered to fix the amp for free if I cover shipping... and I'm not the original owner! I wish all companies were like this.

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    EA is a great company. Did they say what was wrong?

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I am always astounded at how well EA takes care of the end users of their gear. I also bought my iAMP 800 used, and Gary did the "updates" to it and swapped out black knobs for the red ones for free (I paid shipping). And his turnaround time is extremely quick!

Tom.

8. Same experience for me. There was a problem with the DI on my iAmp350 and they were very helpful and resolved the problem completely. Great service!!!

9. ole Jason

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    He said it was most likely an op-amp in the input stage and should only require surface soldering to fix it. I'll probably just ship it to EA and let them fix and buy some nice black knobs too.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you have the red knob version, then there are a couple of updates that Gary can do for you. One is the fix for the tuner chip that kept coming loose, and I think that they may have changed a capacitor value or two. There were a couple of minor tweaks, but I can't recall them all right now.

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I had EA work on my 800 but never succeeded in getting Gary to answer my emails about what he did to it. I'd be very interested to know exactly what "upgrades" they're doing to these amps! Mine sure sounds good now... :eyebrow: