Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why is my Jazz Bass humming?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Grindylow, May 15, 2004.

1. Grindylow

Grindylow

May 11, 2004
    Puyallup, WA
    I have wired my Jazz bass with a master volume, master tone, and a pan pot. The pickups are Dimarzio Ultra Jazzes and are hum cancelling. The control cavity is shielded, I have the bridge wire tack soldered to the foil and a wire from the foil to the casing of the tone pot. The pickup grounds are wired to the case of the volume pot. The jack is grounded to the tone pot. Both grounds from the pan pot are wired to the tone pot casing. I have used my multi-meter to check for continuity, and there seems to be continuity everywhere, yet when I plug in I get a buzz that goes away when I touch the strings. I have checked for continuity from the bridge to the control plate, and to all of the pots, and I get a beep each time. What did I do wrong and how do I fix it?

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    It might be buzzing because the pickup cavities are not shielded. Shield them and connect all shields to ground.

If it is humming, that's just because it doesn't know the words to sing !! lol

3. Passive or active?

or does it matter?