1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why is one WAY louder???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wolfkeller, Mar 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    So, since there are no gigs (or anything) I brought in my 15s. I plugged one into the output then plugged the other one into that, daisy chained? Then the 810 as usual and switched to 2 ohm. The 15s are so much louder I didn't think the 10s were on. Why? The 15s are both 8ohm. So chained together that's 4 ohm same as the 10s. Curious as to why. Thanks. 20200330_191905.jpg

DrMole likes this.
  2. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    And yes, I was playing my guitar through it. I run the little digitech pedal into the svt with the gain down, instant killer tube amp! Switch the cord, crank gain, drop vol and play bass.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Have you checked your 810 for damage? If it's a 2 x 410 sections cabinet, are both sections working?

dramatwist, TN WOODMAN and DJ Bebop like this.
  4. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    They are. There's nothing wrong with it.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  5. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    How much is way different?

Is it possible that your cabinet got "rewired" by somebody who didn't know what they were doing and thought that the internet was always right? Happens all the freekin' time, deal with this regularly when troubleshooting with customers.

Try the battery test on the cabinet and make sure all drivers move the same direction.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  6. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    What is the batter test?

7. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Did some checking, experimenting. Turns out the ohm switch wasn't fully into 2ohm but its is still louder. All drivers are working. Cab is the E and its mint.

The 15s are alot brighter and thinner sounding. They don't sound bad or anything but the 810 sounds alot thicker and deeper than the 2 15s. It's like a different eq. I use the for lows only in a biamped Rig. Adds low end vibration to the stage so I don't run as much bass from my 4 pro live. These are new cabs. Never opened nor damaged

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  8. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    All this was with a guitar. Tomorrow I'll experiment using a bass.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  9. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Sorry, typo. It should have read "battery test".

dramatwist, TN WOODMAN and dkelley like this.
  10. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    But possibly mis-wired or defective.

Try the battery test on each cabinet, the drivers should all move outward when the + terminal is connected to the tip and the - terminal is connected to the sleeve. Test each cabinet.

11. You're already playing through a tube amp. That's what SVT's are.

Put a Auralex GreatGRAMMA v2 Isolation Riser under your cab and it will kill the stage vibration as well as reduce some of the muddiness and give you more clarity.

Ric Vice, TN WOODMAN, Loring and 2 others like this.
  12. "Perceived" loudness. It's most likely the frequencies are being thrown differently. The way I hear (most) 15" cabs are very high and high mid apparent. Not lows. Yeah, lows are always there...it's a bass. But, the higher end of the spectrum is most likely what's hitting your ears. Where as, your 810 is throwing more lows and low mids at your face. More oomph, more presence, less "perceived" volume. Its much louder. You just dont realize it.

13. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    That
    Makes sense to me

14. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    The 15s are there
    I swear I don't speak English. Obviously it's a tube amp. My point was. Through a guitar pedal in front and I now have a tube guitar amp.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  15. Put one under the 15's as well. :thumbsup:

Gotcha. ;) Maybe it was my interpretation. :D

16. wolfkeller

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    All speakers passed the test

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  17. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Then it must be the combination of sensitivities and voicing of the cabinets.

18. Pulverizor

Pulverizor

Jun 14, 2018
    New Zealand
    I find 10's will sound 'scooped' for a guitar whereas 15's will be more mid forward, with bass cabs at least.
    And with the sensitivities of the human ear, might explain what you're hearing.

19. Size of speaker has nothing inherently to do with the tone of the speaker... it's just the design of each individual speaker that decides it's unique tone. 10s can be mid heavy or have deep bass or be full range... same with 15s... or either can be scooped....

As the old saying goes.....

Size doesn't matter (regarding tone, at least).

Although, it actually can matter since a larger speaker will be louder (more efficient) given exactly the same specs of everything else about the speaker.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  20. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    Frequency Cancelation.. Set the cabs farther apart

TN WOODMAN and RoketRdr like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.