1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WHy is so much tab wrong?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by glocke1, Oct 25, 2013.

1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Sitting in with a band tonight, and going over some tunes Ive never played before right now....using tab for some of them...

Im finding so much tab out there is just wrong, whats listed on the sheet isn't even close to whats on the recording...***.

2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I noticed the same exact thing. I almost never used it except for help on very fast riffs. It's been a total let down every time.
    There some great audio programs/Apps that allow you to slow the song down and keep the same pitch. These are what I use now for those rare times that I need it.
    VLC Media Player is a great one to use but I am sure there are many others.

Cheers and best of luck;
    Gerry

3. There is a lot of self taught "ear" players....that have a horrible ear :banghead:

4. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Because they write the tabs based on their interpetation of the song. It "sounds right" to them so thats what they tab. Even though it may not be accurate.

5. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Jul 11, 2013
    Dimension X
    +1

Any tab is basically an interpretation of the song in question. They're good to use but you got to use your ears too.

6. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    yeah, but the thing is Im not talking about licks that are tabbed out that are a little off from the original...

I am finding things are are not even in the correct key for the song....:rollno: and no, there is not another version of that song in other keys out there..

7. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    people who are qualified to transcribe things correctly are too busy teaching and performing to post things on the internet for free.

8. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Jul 11, 2013
    Dimension X
    Brutal. Sounds like you need a new source for tabs.:meh:

9. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    "interpretation" means things like tempo, dynamics.. ext..

tabs are wrong most of the time. it's not an interpretation, the person posting it thinks its correct, but its not.

i think tabs are an amazing resource for people in our generation, and i would've never learned how to play if it weren't for (hah, probably incorrect..) tabs that got me started.

but the sooner you get your ears working and learn riffs on your own, the better.

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    My theory: People who rely on tab are lacking in the ear training/experience necessary to hear and learn the proper bass lines. The people who are putting the tabs out there, are the people who are also using it. I don't know many people writing out tabs for songs and posting it, that are experienced players who learn songs on their own.

On the flip side of the OP I've found that most of the published books are ridiculously accurate, save for some positioning errors. I played in a RHCP and Zep tribute, and there are times I either couldn't hear what was going on (I've done hearing damage due to not wearing earplugs), or was just in too much of a hurry, that I used those books for reference. I was amazed at the accuracy.

11. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Because one person submits their interpretation of a song in (bad) TAB to a site. Then ALL the other TAB sites publish it.

12. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    Word.

13. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    Also word.

14. Tab is nothing more than a starting place. I appreciate someone doing the work to create it, but I NEVER want to use the same hand positions (I like open strings) and I often interpret the music somewhat differently. When you don't want to use their hand positions, you're better off with music than tab....but it seems many people don't read music.

15. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Ive actually got that down pretty good..I was asked to do a last minute fill in slot tonight...so sitting down and learning 20 some tunes in 8 hours by ear is not happening.

16. lilcrate

lilcrate Tortdaddy

Sep 9, 2013
    St. Louis
    I'm still a newb so I may be way off here, but from the outside of this conversation looking in it kind of sounds funny.

"Tabs are wrong because they are usually someone interpreting the song by ear and it doesn't sound the way I interpret it by ear"

Wouldn't it be highly possible that either person A or B is wrong? Why is it automatically the person that created the tab and not the person challenging it?

Unless of course you were comparing it to the published sheet music, but that doesn't sound like what people are talking about here.

17. Shardik

Shardik

May 24, 2011
    Halden, Norway
    Yes, there is a lot of that. But I don't think bashing the original transcriber will do any good. To draw a parallell to open source computer software or wikipedia: when something is wrong, playing the blame game leads nowhere. What you do is contribute corrections and call the final result collaboration. If everyone does their best to contribute, the end result will often be pretty good.

18. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    Tabs aren't wrong most of the time.

19. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    You haven't seen much TAB have you?

I swore it off. Its actually faster to figure something by ear then it is to try to repair some of the abortions that are out there.

If you are in a real hurry, surf YT for a lesson or a bass "playalong". The content is building

20. +1 you have to use the tabs as a guideline but let the feel and your ears do the work for you!