1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why is some Modern Country so hard?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by GregBass1979, Apr 13, 2009.

1. GregBass1979

GregBass1979

Feb 26, 2008
    Placentia,Ca
    Ok..ok..The title is decieving, but after recently getting a gig with a modern country band destined with their originals to go to Nashville...but the covers they picked are rediculously hard structurally with very few chord changes. Like Intro,A,A {WITH NO BASS},B,A,BRIDGE,B,A,A,B.
    What kind of crackhead wrote some of the modern country stuff!? I now know why I play jazz,rock, and blues!:help::bag:

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    There are crackhead epics in any genre I think, unless you want to only play your own originals your going to find some of them eventually.

3. Ha, try listening to most modern hardcore or metal in the underground scene (i.e. NOTHING that gets played on the radio) and you'll see some really wacky song structures. My band has one song that goes

Breakdown 1 tight x 4, breakdown 1 halftime and doomy x 2, transition 1, riff 1 x 4, pause for gang vocals, riff 2 x 4, transition 2, riff/progression 2 x 2, transition 3, breakdown 2 doomy x 4, breakdown 2 tight x 4, riff/progression 2 x 1 w/just guitar and drums, riff/progression 2 x 1, riff/progression 2 variation x 4.

And just for the record, that's one of our "catchy" songs.

4. Sindri907

Sindri907

Feb 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Listen to some Mathcore/Mathrock like The Dillinger Escape Plan or Don Caballero...

5. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    This is a "rediculously hard" structure? You must be joking.

And I believe you'll find a greater percentage of crackheads in genres other than country.

6. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I think I understand what the OP is talking about...and it's specifically because Country music on its surface isn't nearly as complex as a Don Cab tune that it's such a problem:

With a Don Cab (etc.) tune, you pretty much have to either read or memorize a ton of data or you won't get past square one. Whereas with a lot of Country music, the basic data is easily gleaned with a single cursory listen or a brief generalization (eg, "it's a I, IV, I, V, with a bridge that goes to the VI") ...so your expectations of the details that set it apart from any other I, IV, I, V song aren't preconditioned towards subtleties.

The fact that many Country tunes can easily conform to an overly-simplistic generalization -- something that could never be said about a Don Cab tune -- becomes misleading, because then the player forgets to focus on the micro-details that create the song's identity.

7. GregBass1979

GregBass1979

Feb 26, 2008
    Placentia,Ca
    LazyLion: Like Hoover said, it's all about the micro-details. AND when you have an anal drummer who wants every drum tick,tock,knick and knack along with bass lines to match note for note like the radio version it gets rediculous. The artist isn't paying your band to play it exactly like they did it, so I am all for playing it "as close as possible" but not bog the band down with the details. We just had to cancel out a huge gig with talent scouts and everything because of this crap.

8. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Ah. So you have a problem with your drummer. That, I understand! Why didn't you just say so? :D

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

A LOT of modern pop music is like that. Harmonically, very simple. However, the song forms can drive you nuts, with multiple bridges and chorus sections, lot's of 2/4 bars, odd number of measures in solo sections, etc.

10. GregBass1979

GregBass1979

Feb 26, 2008
    Placentia,Ca
    So now the leader {guitarist} is debating weather or not he thinks we are playing the tunes "good enough for festivals and bar gigs" or weather he should take the drummers' advise on it should be played EXACTLY like the radio version, then he will be getting rid of some of the band staff I'm sure. How I personally figure it, the original artist isn't paying us to cover their tune perfectly, more on the lines of getting the overall "feel" of the original version so that the audience recognizes it. Am I right on that view?

11. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    i'm with you on this one... most audiences aren't going to notice the little details of a cover song, they're just after the basic song and a good dancable feel. Besides, unless you have a 23 piece band, you're not gonna get EXACTLY the radio version... 3 elec guitars, 2 acoustic, a pedal steel, a fiddle, drums, keys, 9 part harmonies... not practical for most live situations...

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I remember seeing Emmylou Harris touring Britain a couple of times with a band just like that - if not more elaborate ...?

Sounded great live!! :)

13. i bet they didnt fit on the standard sized bar stage.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Big concert halls only I think - they had James Burton on guitar - awesome! :)

15. jcullen24

jcullen24

Apr 11, 2009
    Denton, TX

Umm, I think a meeting is in order, canceled a gig with scouts because of what? How long have you been in this band?

16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

These look a bit tougher to me.

Gotta love Theremin.
    [​IMG]

img-7.

17. people really write out theramin tabs? ridiculous haha

18. Bruce Lindfield

I have a sneaking suspicion that Ferneyhough is a fraud of some kind...:eyebrow:

He's no Stockhausen! :p

19. It's watered down to pop rock.. everyone wants drama.

I also find this in contemporary christian music.. absolutley no reason to go to a minor 3rd to end a tune every 5th turn around.

I say gimmme back some Willie "Red Headed Stranger"...... now that's tough to do correctly

20. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It's not all that complicated really. Here's the thing. If you want to change a lick here and there, fine. But if you go changing the FORM of the song, that's just dumb. The audience will be singing along and you will be busted. They won't understand that you are just taking artistic license or simply watering down the song because you don't feel like learning it right. If you play for a living, it's a JOB. DO YOUR JOB! Learn the parts! Geeeez! Your jazz and blues axperience have spoiled you. If you are going to play popular music (no matter what the genre), a rough chord sheet and run through it a couple of times just isn't going to get it. Learn the songs! There is nothing in country music that you can't handle. Best of luck.