1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why is TalkBass hating my AOL?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Munjibunga, May 12, 2011.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I know, I know ... AOL sucks. Now that we've got that out of the way for all you linux-lovers, how come TB won't load in AOL Desktop? This just started two days ago. I've checked all my security and content blockers, and TB is allowed in everything.

2. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
  3. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I'm pretty sure this has to do with AOL Desktop not respecting web standards. Their browser is awful and will break a lot of pages for random reasons.

Absentia's link will explain why they don't feel like they have to keep up with the minimum level of quality in their software.

4. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    AOL? 1994 called....

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    You must not have seen the part that says AOL sucks. That was for you. It has always worked fine until two days ago. I don't pay for AOL.

6. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I'm not saying you're being exploited. AOL software is substandard for lack of their need to be competitive. The part that concerns you is that the problem doesn't seem to emanate from Talkbass.

7. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Anyone have a proposed fix-instead of other AOL comments?

Off topic:
    (My 14 yo AOL screenname is fixed in stone, and I'm easy to find! :p)

8. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    Why don;t you uninstall it? Trust me all browsers are the same and the learning curve is very small.
    Like switching from grape jam to strawberry jam.

The suggested fix is to try another web browser.

9. It really is horrible. I know you don't want to hear it, but the long term solution is to move to different software.

10. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Strawberry jam is far supperior to grape. Strawberry often has preserves in it, but I have yet to see grape preserves in my grape jelly!

11. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    How do you think I've posted this thread? I use several browsers. I've reinstalled Desktop 10.1. Same-o.

12. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Although my AOL browser works, the path that I follow to TB land is through my Windows 7 desktop, IE icon.

13. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well, no it's not horrible. Maybe you don't like it, but there's not much difference between it and other browsers out there. As I said, I use other browsers already.

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    That's where I am right now. Soooaaahhhhh ... does anybody have anything helpful to say?

15. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    Agreed.

16. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Technically speaking, they've built their browser off Trident, which is Internet Explorer's rendering engine. There is a considerable delay between the time Microsoft updates the engine and the time AOL serves the update to its users. There could have been a week-time a while ago during which Microsoft rolled out a problematic update and shortly after issued a fix for it. You might want to wait and see if AOL will roll out a new version that addresses the issue in the months to come.

What it means:
    - AOL will probably fix it but not fast and not necessarily well.
    - No one develops for AOL except themselves, so I wouldn't expect a third-party to fix it sooner than they do; I guess you are mainly asking for this.
    - If you want instant results instead, the unfortunate answer is to use anything else that came out between 2006 and today.

17. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Why is TalkBass hating my AOL?

Cuz everyone hates AOL.

18. Open AOL, minimize it, use another browser.

Using AOL's browser is the basic problem.

19. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    There is no "fix" for the problem as it probably stems from the product itself as opposed to anything you've done or can do to change it.

As someone has already stated, AOL is built on the same blocks that IE is, only about 3 months after a new IE update. Time (or switching to firefox, chrome, etc) may be the only solution to your problem.

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    At least he finally moved off CompuServe.

-Mike