1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why is Talkbass so.... nice?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SLIV, Jan 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SLIV

SLIV

Jul 16, 2009
    North Carolina
    I used to participate in a bunch of other forums but nowadays read (mainly lurk) Talkbass. Recently I went back and visited a forum on bikes and bicycling that I've been a member of since 2003 and was surprised how contentious and mean-spirited it was there. I didn't remember it that way but maybe I've just been spoiled by Talkbass.

Any ideas on why this place is so different than a typical Internet forum? I mean, people are really nice here.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Enforced rules.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

This. And many offenders have been banned.

4. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Yup. Rules strictly enforced by moderators who care about making this a welcoming place to be.

5. Natural selection? The Darwin Award winners have been notified, posthumously.

6. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I personally think we all behave ourselves here just in case those superior beings over in the DB forums drop by.
    We don't want to reinforce their opinion of us electric players... :D

7. SLIV

SLIV

Jul 16, 2009
    North Carolina
    So good "police and prisons" along with some nice funny neighbors? :)

I'm always impressed with this group. Part of me wonders if it's the sensibility of bass players but there's no way one can justify that. Too much variation amongst us.

ONYX likes this.
  8. I think it's partly the rules, but I think there's more to it. For one thing, this site is a tremendous knowledge base for all things bass-related. If you treat others well, people will be more likely to share knowledge with you, but if you're a jerk and you turn everybody off, you're likely to get ignored and will probably lose interest in the site.

This is just my only-had-one-cup-of-coffee-today rumination on the subject.

9. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    This is the first forum I’ve really been active on, and even tho I don’t have others to compare it too, I’m truly grateful and appreciative of how helpful, friendly & accommodating it generally is.

I can see how the enforcement of rules helps, but I also think there’s more to it. For every one person banned, there are hundreds on here actively sharing knowledge, opinions & experience. You can bring the vibe of a place down w/o actually breaking the rules, so there’s definitely more to it than just punishing offenders.

Bass players are cool? :cool: Is that it?
    Who knows. :whistle:
    Whatever it is, let’s keep it going! :bassist:

SLIV, ONYX and Oddly like this.
  10. DavetheDude

DavetheDude

Nov 28, 2014
    Germany
    Yeah, it's a nice place, as you are not entitled to call someone's bass ugly. :D

But mostly, because I think most people are genuinely nice here and often times funny. And as mentioned above, very knowledgeable and willing to share if you say pretty please :)

ONYX likes this.
  11. Many many people here (including mods) are extremely sweet and have garnered a reputation as the sticky buns of the bassplaying community..

12. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Bass players are the apex example of class and sophistication in the music world. Since we really don't compete with each other--after all, there's only one bass player in any given situation ( usually), we tend to respect each others situation. Besides, I've found that bass players are usually more--let's say "well rounded" when it comes to our life experiences. No idea why that is, but it is what it is. It's our job to provide a solid foundation, and I think that reflects on our personalities.

13. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    I'd like to think it's the personality archetype of bass players in general but that is simply not true considering how many awful people I've met that play the instrument, even play it very well. It's the amazing team of mods and admins that make this forum what it is.

14. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    The most important rule here on TB is to respect others.

bassdude51, Mktrat, T_Bone_TL and 8 others like this.
  15. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I thought it was me. ;)

16. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Agreed, you make a good point, but I should point out that I'm referring mainly to us on the TB community--we usually keep it in check.....most times ;).

17. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Having moderated other sites, including a site for bassists, I will say that the rules, along with good enforcement, have kept the idiocy to a minimum. Ain't perfect, but better than most.

18. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Why ?
    Were bass players.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  19. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Bass players are more evolved.
    I know what you mean tho'. There's two big forums for Les Paul owners/ players that are snake pits.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  20. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Were bass player's, the Gomer's of the music world. We cant help being nice.

Pbassmanca and Gravedigger Dav like this.