why is the 800rb more expensive than the 700rbii?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by j-bass-kreep, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Looking at price lists at www.musiciansfriend.com and at other stores on the internet I saw that the 800rb is sold at a higher price than the 700rb . The 700rb is more powerful so why is it cheaper ?
  2. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    I personally think GK is cashing in on the nostalgic vibe for the 800RB.
  3. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    It takes more money to build an amp based on old technology.
    Modern technologies save a lot on labor, and parts.
  4. THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    What Lync said. But not without cause; the old GK 800RB is a classic in tone and reliability.
  5. +1

I just got an old one off ebay(with the horizontal power switch) - the small 100w amp is broken, but I have no intention of fixing it(I don't bi-amp).. it only cost $168.00 plus shipping

It gets nice and gritty with the boost and volume maxed out; I use the master to control my volume, and use the bass cut and bright voicing filters also - it sounded pretty muddy until I did this...I thought the bass-cut was silly until I tried it - I don't touch the mid-scoop though...:spit:

Set like this, the 800RB does a pretty nice impression of my Mesa Bass 400....and quite frankly, I'm impressed by this old, beat-up amp.
  6. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    I LOVE my 800RB.. It's worth every penny of it's cost!
  7. thanks for the replys .

I found my 800rb to be very britgh , however I just roll them off . I really like my amp , the only problem I have with it is that It shows my errors a lot . :crying: