Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why is the Ampeg 8-10 sucking me in.??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I can't get it out of my "Must have" gut.. I have 4 great cabs a Mesa PH1000(Modded), a Mesa RR 2-15, an Eden 4-10xlt, a Sonic 1-18........I tried a 8-10 at a local store, but it has a bad driver in it (I believe). I am waiting for a good deal on one but I feel stupid looking at yet another cab.. WON'T THIS MADNESS EVER END..??? :bawl:

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It did the same to me for a long time. I was fixated on one. I went with the Eden 410XLT, and I no longer wanted one.

For me, I think it was an image thing. Something cool about having that monster stacked up behind you.

BTW...you have an excellent selection of cabs.

-Mike

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

It's sucking you in because non-ported non-tweetered bass cabinets growl like crazy and punch right through the mix. :bassist:

4. Its a classic you just got to have it, and while you are at it I think you need something with 12" speakers in it as well.

5. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I'm glad I skipped the 410 path and went straight for the 810. Now I just gotta decide if I'll go to the SVTCL head or the new Mesa Big Block next ;)...

But the 810 is ledgendary... I don't know if you can be a bass player without playing on one/owning one... (rock)

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    This guy did fine without one. ;)
    [​IMG]

7. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I own an ampeg 810E. There's a lot of good and bad with a cab this size. Indeed there is nothing like it soundwise. The tone is absolutely amazing BUT hauling it around on a regular basis is pretty much outta the question. Mine hasn't moved from my rehearsal space in 8 or 9 years. It does have nice casters and a handle on the back to facilitate moving but this thing is the size of a small refrigerator. You gotta have a nice sized SUV or pickup if you plan on totting this bad boy around town. You better also have some helpful band mates or friends too because you'll never move this in and out of vehicles or clubs by yourself. And as far as the average size bar or club? Fuhgettaboutit. This is waaaaay more speaker than you'll ever need.

In the end, yeah...it's a fantastic sounding cabinet but it's way to big to be user friendly for the average weekend warrior or even semi-pro. You really need a roadie to move this sucker.

8. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Haha yeah yeah...

Still... Everyone should at least play one in a shop or something once.... Just to get an idea if you like it or not.

I think used is the best way to go on these. A 1 or 2 year used model goes down several hundred dollars in price. I got a floor model for 200 bucks off...

Good luck with the gas, anywho...

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I hate to say this, but I don't really care too much for the fridge's tone. :oops: :bag: :ninja:

10. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Well, the Mesa P1000 CANNOT be hauled around alone. Mine lives in the band wagon. Going to Da fridge wouldn't matter.
    I just heard the newer ones were particle board and the tolex ripped easy. Why, Why, don't Mesa make a sealed 4 compartment 8-10 fridge. I think Wizard Amps can and does make one. I know they do the 1-15+4-10 in one.
    It pussles and is disturbing to me that more companies don't make one the same way. A lot of TB ers don't like big stage amps for their size.

11. Bridge Cables

Bridge Cables Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Southern N C
    I'm glad I kept my old '83 Mesa RR 2-15 & Acoustic 360/361. Old school sound & has a presence on stage that can't be beat! I am moving some major air!

Same for the Ampeg 8x10, monster sound & looks, can't get better!

Unless I'm doing stairs I move the Acoustic myself. Have a '95 Previa van, caster it to the van. fulcrum it on the rear bumper and slide it in, done.

Get the 8x10, crank & enjoy!! :D

BC :cool:

12. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    It's really not that hard to lug around, just a little impractical. It'll fit in most vans, and small cars. Me and some friends stashed my 1540HE (exact same size as 8x10) into a 2 Door Ford Probe, and still had room to sit. All you have to do is use leverage. I got it in and out of a van all by myself before. The only reason I got rid of mine is because my band broke up, and I didn't want that to be my only cabinet. It sounded KILLER though. If I didn't need the money, I'd keep the cab in my basement until I joined another band, and bought a 4x10.